Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word 2007/Vista - Spell Checker not working

Options
  • 20-02-2009 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just have a quick question but the problem's really doing my head in. I got a new Dell laptop the other day pre loaded with Word 2007 (Home/Student Edition). The thing is that the spell checker and auto correct functions aren't working for me at all. I've fiddled with the settings but to no avail. Everything that should be checked appears to me so this is becoming very frustrating.

A trawl of Google suggested something to do with registry keys but I'm not that much a technophile to start messing around with stuff that sounds that important. Does anyone else have any similar experience with 2007 or suggestions to restore the spell check function?

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check that the text is set to English and not a foreign language ?

on older versions of word it was select all the text then from the menu pick the tools? language and mark selected text as english and then the default button to apply the changes to new docs. each old doc had to have the text language changed = PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

No use, but thanks for the suggestion Capt'n.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Same exact thing happened to me and more ,i repaired the software by reinstalling the cd , did you get one with the dell laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Yea, I got the CD with it. I might try a reinstallation from the CD then. Cheers

Edit: In case anyone has any further info, just to let you know I unistalled and reinstalled Office and the same problem remains. Unbelivably irritating...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 oneway

This can happen when the standard template (that controls how documents work when you start a new one) has been set to not check spelling.

Wh? 'cos Microfort messes with my head.

How do I fix this...

In Word 2007:

“Review | Set Language | Select “English Ireland” | make sure the "do not check spelling" is clear (i.e. no tick or no green squate) click the “Default” button | Say “Yes” to “make this the default”

This should make Word check the spelling and do so for every new doeument you open in word

Have fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

oneway wrote: »
    This can happen when the standard template (that controls how documents work when you start a new one) has been set to not check spelling.

Wh? 'cos Microfort messes with my head.

How do I fix this...

In Word 2007:

“Review | Set Language | Select “English Ireland” | make sure the "do not check spelling" is clear (i.e. no tick or no green squate) click the “Default” button | Say “Yes” to “make this the default”

This should make Word check the spelling and do so for every new doeument you open in word

Have fun
    I suspect that's your solution.

Yes, it's a silly situation. Try it anyway.

Advertisement