Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on dodgy landlord.

Options
  • 20-02-2009 2:53am
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I need some advice.

I moved into a house back in september,i've been paying my rent monthly ever since, I have never met my landlord and the first time i ever talked to him was on the phone last night. There is no Rent Book and no lease agreement i'm aware of, which i'm pretty sure is illegal. I've made 5 rent payments so far in total, i have receipts for the last 3 but i have misplaced the receipts for the first two and now the landlord is saying because i dont have the receipts theres no proof i paid him at all and i think he wants me to pay him again. What should i do?

I feel like i'm being scammed,my housemate said the lanlord did this to him in the summer aswell to the tune of €600 euro.

What should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

threshold need to be called

surely if you pay by month and have receipts for the last few he has no recourse to look for previous months again. Sounds like a cowboy to be honest. Is the rent paid by bank or cash?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I lodge it into a bank account every month. not direct debit or anything. I also can't find the address on prtb.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Give the landlord the dates and times you paid the rent, from looking at your transactions info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I lodge it into a bank account every month.

Well there you go, tell him you can prove it on your bank statements (**EDIT** How do you lodge it? Cash? Cheque?) and that what he's trying to do is extortion which is when someone unlawfully obtains either money from a person through coercion. Coercion means making someone do something they don't want to do by use of threats, intimidation, trickery etc or "if you don't pay me, get out"

You can tell him that that would not be a matter for PRTB but would be a matter for the Gardai.

Your housemate should also contact the gardai.

(Well, see how it goes before you go to the Gardai. No point rushing ahead)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

If you lodge it via the bank there is a record. Ask the bank for the records. Tell him you have the records. End of.

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    If you lodge it via the bank there is a record. Ask the bank for the records. Tell him you have the records. End of.

Yeah they should be able to show that a lodgement was made on a particular date. Trouble is if you did it with cash, there will only be a record of withdrawing the money from your account. To show the record of the lodgement made to his account might not be so easy as the bank aren't likely to show you the transactions on his account.

How do you lodge the money? Cash? Cheque? Bank transfer?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Well there you go, tell him you can prove it on your bank statements (**EDIT** How do you lodge it? Cash? Cheque?) and that what he's trying to do is extortion which is when someone unlawfully obtains either money from a person through coercion. Coercion means making someone do something they don't want to do by use of threats, intimidation, trickery etc or "if you don't pay me, get out"

You can tell him that that would not be a matter for PRTB but would be a matter for the Gardai.

Your housemate should also contact the gardai.

(Well, see how it goes before you go to the Gardai. No point rushing ahead)

I lodge it by cash,because i don't have the receipts i don't know the exact time or date. I used the quicklodge machine for the payments in question,i have since stopped using that method. There should still be records so hopefully the bank can help out. I have thought about going to the Gardai,but hopefully it won't come to that. There should be CCTV footage of me making the lodgements if nothing else.

Yeah they should be able to show that a lodgement was made on a particular date. Trouble is if you did it with cash, there will only be a record of withdrawing the money from your account. To show the record of the lodgement made to his account might not be so easy as the bank aren't likely to show you the transactions on his account.

How do you lodge the money? Cash? Cheque? Bank transfer?

Yea cash i'm afraid,which is whats causing the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

hold your horses maybe the landlord didn't actually get the payment.Did you enter all details correctly including sort code etc? I had a family member put money in my acc once and she used an incorrect sort code for my account, the money went from her acc but not into mine staying in limbo and the money didn't return to her acc. So it was in limbo for days until we went to the bank to trace it (not express lodgement though which may be harder to trace ?)

Well, you can't prove that it was you that lodged it so. Nor can you prove that it was lodged to his account without the stub.

Personally, I'd be telling him that it's up to him to prove that you didn't pay. It's not up to you to prove that you did. See what he says.

• Advertisement

anoisaris wrote: »
    hold your horses maybe the landlord didn't actually get the payment.Did you enter all details correctly including sort code etc? I had a family member put money in my acc once and she used an incorrect sort code for my account, the money went from her acc but not into mine staying in limbo and the money didn't return to her acc. So it was in limbo for days until we went to the bank to trace it (not express lodgement though which may be harder to trace ?)

If a tenant moved into a house you were renting and they didn't pay for two months, would it take you nearly 4 months to get onto it?

OP paid by cash at the counter so it goes in right there. They check the account number and sort code against the name, take your cash, put it in the drawer and stamp the stub.

to the best of my knowledge everything was entered correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Also there seems to be a precedent as the landlord did this to the op housemate.

If a tenant moved into a house you were renting and they didn't pay for two months, would it take you nearly 4 months to get onto it?

OP paid by cash at the counter so it goes in right there. They check the account number and sort code against the name, take your cash, put it in the drawer and stamp the stub.

No he didn't he used quick lodgement method. This leaves plenty of room for error on the OP's part.

Go into the bank and see if they can trace it.

Cash at the quick lodgement is the same. There's no proof that it was OP who lodged it.

Plus, it's two lodgements that are in question so he entered the wrong numbers once, then did it again and then got it right the 3rd time? That's unlikely.
    Plus the landlord didn't notice that he hadn't been paid rent for two months?
    Plus is it not strange that the only lodgements the landlord is questioning are the only ones for which the OP doesn't have receipts?
    Plus he's already screwed over OP's housemate with the same scam?

Come on....

well he didn't use quick lodgement after the first two!

Who knows how many tenants or houses the landlord has if several he prob doesn't go through the accounts too frequently.

And I would be asking questions to the housemate he tried to scam before to see what happened in their situation and how it was resolved.

well he didn't use quick lodgement after the first two!

Who knows how many tenants or houses the landlord has if several he prob doesn't go through the accounts too frequently.

And I would be asking questions to the housemate he tried to scam before to see what happened in their situation and how it was resolved.

Let's wait and see. I'll bet you 6 million quatloos the landlord's a scammer. Sure he's not even registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So you have no proof that you paid this rent but what proof does the LL have that you didn't pay? Unless he can prove this to you then you're fine. Especially if this tenancy isn't registered you are protected as a tenant, contact threshold and don't worry about it. The onus in on the LL to prove you didn't pay, not the other way around

True that! Yeah no contract or rent book etc is all very dodgy alright.

I stopped using the quicklodge after i heard what had happened to the housemate. If the address is not on prtb.ie does that mean he is definitley not registered??

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement