Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters Occupational Therapy

• 20-02-2009 3:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

could anybody tell me is the MSc in Occupational Therapy 2year course for non occupational therapy graduates (conversion course) extremely difficult to get placement on..?

has anyone achieved placement on this course and what were the strong points in your application? Mainly what kind of applicants are they looking for and is there much flexibility ?

those of you who are or have studied this course, could you please offer some insight i.e. pros and cons during the course and after graduating? whats the current employment situation/opportunities?

I am currently finishing a postgrad and have missed the application deadline to begin the course this year but between the summer and course commencement date the following year id be happy to do what ever required to strengthen my application..any tips?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bernie_S

Hi Piriz, I was actually doing a search on this as was about to post the same questions! Did you end up doing the course after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Maryorange

Hi , has anybody applied for postgrad in occupational therapy for 2013??

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maireof

I am hoping to apply for sept 2014 if anybody has any insight I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Hi Marieof,

Visit as many different OT departments as you can and make sure your personal statement for the application is flawless...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 maireof

Thank you so much Piriz-iv applied to do work experiences in a few places im going to do a course in anatomy and physiology along with diploma courses relavant tot he area. Have you done the masters? I would really appreciate any more information you may be able to give me regarding the course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭hairycakes

Hi Piriz,

I completed an Arts degree in NUIG leaving with an 2:2 in English and Sociology and Politics. I know UL are quite selective about the degree result and in reality don't look at degree results under 2:1 but this is the area I'd like to move into.

I have done some shadowing in various areas in the midlands, just a day each was all I could afford as I work full time. How much experience of OT departments would be a minimum would you say in your experience of applying. Also, any tips or pointers on the personal statement? Is there anything, like courses which maireof mentioned, which you think having gone through the course would be of benefit?

Also maireof, did you apply after? Do you think the courses you did were of benefit and which did you do after?

Many thanks for any help!

Hi Hairycakes,

The course in UL is difficult to get into as i'm sure you are aware. You should ring the course administrator and ask about the entry criteria regarding your 2:2. I would hope that your 2:2 combined with a great personal statement you'd be considered.. Nevertheless you should call first.

When I studied OT there was lots of students with Sociology degrees (from UCC). Also there was a mix of other backgrounds like nursing, psychology and a few that were not social or medical related.

You need to sell yourself in the PS.. you need to demonstrate your understanding of the profession and outline your strengths and skills that can be applied to / benefit the profession. Also, you need to demonstrate your ability to study at postgraduate level. The personal statement should be flawless..every sentence should count.

If you can study something at postgrad level that might relate to OT this can strengthen your application.. but there may not be time for this. Some people dont get in on their first application but do on their second..

As OT is occupational / activity based any skills and interests that you have you could speak about and how these could be used..

Any interest that is dominant in your life you can speak about in your PS and highlight how this can relate to OT...think about the meaning and purpose it has in your life, what you gain from it, your sense on mastery, and how you recognise the health and well-being benefits you and others achieve from having such interests etc.

Talk about what you've seen while visiting different OT departments and what you understand about what you saw and why you would like to be the OT.

If you carried out research as part of your degree you could highlight as OT is a research/evidence based profession.

I appreciate it is difficult to work out what you will write.. my points above are just pointers...you can write something left field and blow them away...

If you are able...consider studying a similar course in the UK...that's a route lots of Irish people take who do not get into UL.

Finally, it is a great profession, it will add to your life as much as it will position you to add to the life of others.

Best of luck..

Thanks for that Piriz! That was really helpful, especially about the PS because I didn't know where to start. I'll see if there are any additional courses that may help and also see if I can shadow in some more places.

Thanks a mill again!

By the way, I love this line "it will add to your life as much as it will position you to add to the life of others". It sums up exactly what I want in a career!

i was quite proud of that line myself...

you can use that at an OT interview someday in the future... ;)

a day or half day spent in OT departments can be really valuable...

look into physical rehabilitation, mental health, intellectual disability, a paediatric setting... you'll see the diversity of OT...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Jesabel129

Just wondering if anyone out there got accepted for intake for 2014? I'll be starting and I can't wait! Still in shock that i got it :)

Congrats Jesabel129, that's fantastic news! :D Unfortunately, not this year but fingers crossed for intake 2015 for me. Any advice you want to offer I'll accept gladly :)

Advertisement