Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lipo withstandable?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

What makes something 11.1v lipo withstandable? and I dont mean that KWA lipo ready crap, I mean able to withstand a lipo as if it was and ordinary 9.6v.
    Things to be repalced that immediately come to mind are (depending on gearbox) the Gears, Piston and add bearing bushings?. Anything else? wiring perhaps? a mosfet?

I have an A&K SR-25 and according to early reviews the internals are "solid", so I haven't a clue wheather any of this would be necessary nor do I know what is necessary.

Thanks all, I know that I ask a LOT of questions:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What makes something 11.1v lipo withstandable? and I dont mean that KWA lipo ready crap, I mean able to withstand a lipo as if it was and ordinary 9.6v.
    Things to be repalced that immediately come to mind are (depending on gearbox) the Gears, Piston and add bearing bushings?. Anything else? wiring perhaps? a mosfet?

I have an A&K SR-25 and according to early reviews the internals are "solid", so I haven't a clue wheather any of this would be necessary nor do I know what is necessary.

Thanks all, I know that I ask a LOT of questions:p

From what I've been told you would need:

-Tough gears
    -Upgraded wiring
    -Mosfet
    -Good shim job
    -Good bushings
    -Possible a good piston/piston head

But overall the internals will wear down much faster with an 11.1v than with a 9.6, doesn't matter what you put inside, the gb turning over 25-30 times a second will wear any internals down.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

What makes it withstandable? The question would be, what are you wanting exactly from an 11.1V lipo? High ROF, if so, how much? All depends on the setup your wanting.

Most stock GB's such as G&P, G&G etc, should be able to handle them correctly, they just need to be setup right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Most importantly, i would say good bushings and decent shimming job. if the gears are running like clockwork then there is far less chance of them eating each other and there will be less wear on them at speed.

after this, good wiring and a decent fuse are needed, you don't have to have a fuse but if you have a cr*p one they can burn out too easily.

Adjusting the AOE, or "Angle of Engagement" will prolong the life of the piston and help the ROF a little. its basically moving the piston back slightly and shaving a tooth or 2 off the piston. it allows the sector gear to makes a fuller contact with the piston and reduces wear substantially.

Using metal pistons heads in gearboxes with high ROF, (especially the KWA V2 gearbox) will encrease the wear on the shell and its likely to shear the whole front off. this'll mean you have to get a complete replacement gearbox shell.
    Use a softer polycarb type piston head to reduce the impact. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

What else do you need to know to get a lipo set-up, bar the gun, whats the deal with charging them, discharging etc., they can explode or melt if they discharge too much, am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Beast ASI

Charging:

Use a balance charger only, so all the cells are evenly charged. If they're not, it could make them inbalanced causing fire etc. It's also common practise to never let a lipo fully discharge (you can get lipo warning devices if it goes below a certain voltage), as they're considered dangerous if they're discharged completely.

The common myth is that lipo batteries just explode. If you look after them they're not any different from a normal battery, it's only if you start throwing them off the ground you'll get problems.

Also if your looking at 30rps+ you'll be wanting to use a big spring (M120ish) and shortstroke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I get 35rps in an almost standard P90 gearbox with the 11.1v lipo from the King Arms Troy.,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

i whapped a lipo into my JG steyrA3 deally. the ROF went up to about the same as my bro's kwa M4 with his 9.6v. its not as high as the classic army steyrA1 a mate has with an 8.4v battery though. must be some major differences in gearing or something. so my ROF is not stupidly high, but slightly bumped. biggest thing i noticed was more sesponsive firing. no lag at all between pulling trigger and firing. and there is a much more solid and meaty thud from the shot, in both sound and feel.
    i just hope to god my poor A3 does not die too soon. cos the difference in feel with the lipo is too good to go back from.

Advertisement