Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa vs Chelsea 3rd/4th match thread

• 20-02-2009 3:58am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

logo0405.jpg VSchlst_2254_general.jpg

Martin O'Neil's Aston Villa side play host to Guus Hiddink and his first game in charge of Chelsea in the weekends early kick off. Villa currently lie in 3rd spot in the Premiership 2 points ahead of Chelsea. Victory for Aston Villa will draw them level on points with second placed Liverpool; three points for Chelsea will see them climb back above Villa into third.

Venue: Villa Park Date: Saturday, 21 February Kick-off: 1245 GMT

Villa are aiming to extend their undefeated home Premier League sequence against Chelsea to 10 games. They've not lost a home League game to the Londoners since March 1999 (three wins, six draws).

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME
    Aston Villa 2-0 Chelsea
    Villa scorers: Knight 47, Agbonlahor 88

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE
    Chelsea 2-0 Aston Villa
    Chelsea scorers: Joe Cole 21, Anelka 44

Injuries:
    Chelsea: Essien, Joe & Ashley Cole, Carvalho
    Aston Villa: Laursen, NRC, Cuellar, Bouma

not 100%: Heskey, Milner, Davies

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

10 - 0 to chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I'd love it if we drew with them, love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

logo0405.jpg VSchlst_2254_general.jpg

Prediction: Villa's lion will land the first blow by landing a white death-star in the midriff of Chelsea's weird dragon looking thing. Weird dragon looking thing will get back to it's feet and club Villa's lion with it's staff, knocking it out cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Prediction: Villa's lion will land the first blow by landing a white death-star in the midriff of Chelsea's weird dragon looking thing. Weird dragon looking thing will get back to it's feet and club Villa's lion with it's staff, knocking it out cold.

So a draw then?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

So a draw then?!?

Hmm, maybe Villa H/T, Chelsea F/T (25/1 with paddypower)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow, ten nil, Kevin Keegan and Jurassic Parkaments who'd have guessed?

I'll put lots of space between that and my comments.

I go for a Villa win, think Chelsea are missing important players in Carvalho and Essien for a game like this one and that is going to cause them lots of problems with Villa's strength out wide. Ashley Young to run riot and Carew or Heskey to be too big and strong for John Terry's phisical presence to be a major factor. Overall Villa's greather energy to win the day, unless Hiddink is good enough to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse in little over a week.

I could be completely wrong as usual.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Wow, ten nil, Kevin Keegan and Jurassic Parkaments who'd have guessed?

I'll put lots of space between that and my comments.

I go for a Villa win, think Chelsea are missing important players in Carvalho and Essien for a game like this one and that is going to cause them lots of problems with Villa's strength out wide. Ashley Young to run riot and Carew or Heskey to be too big and strong for John Terry's phisical presence to be a major factor. Overall Villa's greather energy to win the day, unless Hiddink is good enough to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse in little over a week.

I could be completely wrong as usual.
    Nah you have it. Chelsea might sneak a draw but unless we dramatically changed this week then Villa should win this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Score draw for me. I expect Milner and Davies to be fit. Anelka to be Chelseas main man.

Great memories of this fixture last season(think it was Jose's last PL game?), listening to it in the summer sunshine at EP, Was ****ting it Chelsea were gonna get an equaliser but when Gabby got the late goal i was truly in heaven.

Come on Villa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Chelsea should have battered Villa at the bridge earlier this year, that + the Hiddink new manager factor should equate to a reviatlised chelsea ending Villa's home record against us at last

3-1 chelsea Drogs, anelka and Lampard.

and it's also a lion not a dragon , may be a fire breathing lion but definately a lion

I admire your optimism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

3-2 villa

goals, red cards, a dodgy peno decision, and a last minute winner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Helix wrote: »
    4-4

goals, red cards, a dodgy peno decision, and a last minute equaliser

fyp!

Samurai wrote: »
    fyp!

hahah was thinking that as i was typing it actually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I expect a comfortable Villa victory, no idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

i have faith in the boys in blue!
    (dont know why,maybe its blind faith)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

.............................Freidel

C.Gardner......C.Davies.....Z.Knight....L.Young

J.Milner.........S.Petrov.....G.Barry.....A.Young

...................Gabby.......Carew(Heskey)......

Subs: Guzan, Shorey, Salifou, Osbourne, Sidwell, The Fonz, Heskey/Carew

I wonder will Hiddink partner Drogba & Anelka upfront?

... im far less confident than I would be if Chelsea were still under Scolari, so my prediction for this game is 1-1 (Gabby's first in a while and Anelka), a result id be very happy with. Arsenal fans would be happy with a draw here too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Really bad feeling Chelsea will sneak this 1-0...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

i'm not confident with our current defence at all :(

.............................Freidel

C.Gardner......C.Davies.....Z.Knight....L.Young

J.Milner.........S.Petrov.....G.Barry.....A.Young

...................Gabby.......Carew(Heskey)......

Subs: Guzan, Shorey, Salifou, Osbourne, Sidwell, The Fonz, Heskey/Carew

I wonder will Hiddink partner Drogba & Anelka upfront?

... im far less confident than I would be if Chelsea were still under Scolari, so my prediction for this game is 1-1 (Gabby's first in a while and Anelka), a result id be very happy with. Arsenal fans would be happy with a draw here too
    I was just thinking about your lineup and was thinking, what team could handle this?

Gabby.........S.Petrov.....G.Barry.....A.Young

...................Carew........Heskey.................

I was just thinking about your lineup and was thinking, what team could handle this?

Gabby isnt a RW and we would be better off with Milner there, not to say we will never see such a line-up at some point when we are maybe trying to change things up whilst trying to make a comeback. Carew and Heskey would be a handfull and that midfield should get crosses in however Gabby should only play RW as part of a 4-3-3 and even then he should only play in this role if we have injuries elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

after going to the match on weds i fancy a villa win. we deserved to win on weds.and we will win sat hopefully.

Gabby isnt a RW and we would be better off with Milner there, not to say we will never see such a line-up at some point when we are maybe trying to change things up whilst trying to make a comeback. Carew and Heskey would be a handfull and that midfield should get crosses in however Gabby should only play RW as part of a 4-3-3 and even then he should only play in this role if we have injuries elsewhere.
    I agree with you there that Gabby would be a bit more forward but he can play on the right in fairness, he has done it plenty of times before. It was the two up front that I was really talking about and you would not leave Agbonlahor out of a Villa team imo as his workrate is phenomenal.

I agree with you there that Gabby would be a bit more forward but he can play on the right in fairness, he has done it plenty of times before. It was the two up front that I was really talking about and you would not leave Agbonlahor out of a Villa team imo as his workrate is phenomenal.

if it was a choice between leaving Milner out and playing Gabby RM or keeping Milner in id pick Jimmy everytime. I never said Gabby cant play RW but he is neither as effective there as upfront or as Milner is on the RW.

But like i said if Villa were maybe chasing a lead that change would be feasable giving Villa a real presence in the box and mad pace on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

is that a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It will suit Chelsea to get away from the Bridge.

They should have too much class for Villa overall.

Villa 0-3 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Villa team for today

VILLA: Friedel; Cuellar, Davies, Knight, L Young; Milner, Petrov, Barry, A Young, Heskey, Agbonlahor. Subs: Guzan, Sidwell, Carew, Gardner, Delfouneso, Salifou, Shorey.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Drogba and Anelka start but Anelka probably starting on the wing grrrr lets hope Hiddink will change it quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

What channel is tihs on?

Sky Sports 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

good stream anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

weemcd wrote: »
    good stream anyone?

Same question???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://www.iraqgoals.com/en/ch1.html

^ its in and out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Excellent finish from Anelka 1-0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

wonderful feet from lampard too for the goal.

villa haven't been good so far.

Good goal...I guess :rolleyes::p

I really do dislike Andy Gray. I wait for the day when Sky introduce some "red button" thing where you can mute one commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That was a fantastic goal for Chelsea, quick feet by Lampard and then a nice ball for Anelka who finished perfectly.

Very good goal.

Villa aren't up to much... They keep giving ridiculous balls to the corner flag for Agbonlahor to run on to. Hopefully they'll up the game though!

Dave! wrote: »
    That was a fantastic goal for Chelsea, quick feet by Lampard and then a nice ball for Anelka who finished perfectly.

Very good goal.

Villa aren't up to much... They keep giving ridiculous balls to the corner flag for Agbonlahor to run on to. Hopefully they'll up the game though!

Yep, it's all balls down the wing for him to chase, and it really isn't working. I hope they have a Plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Cech is all over the shop though so i wouldnt rule villa out if they can start to win something in midfield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Young hit the crossbar from a free kick a while ago, Cech didn't move, so close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Anyone else notice the spaff on Heskey's face? :D

Charlie wrote: »
    Anyone else notice the spaff on Heskey's face? :D
    He seems to have someting on his head every week since he arrived at Villa. Thats the third time I've seen him like that recently, once on his forehead and the other time on his ear.

On the match plenty for Villa to get back into it but they are losing out in the centre of the park and neither forward is being really affective so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

poor from villa so far, not closing down quick enough, bad final ball and short passing has been woeful.

Milner hasn't been in the game in the second half with the exception of that shot that was deflected. The midfield are having a terrible game for Villa also. They started the half well but the substitution seems to have changed things a bit, time for Carew on and Milner off imo.

The only way Villa will score is with a Chelsea mistake.

milner moved to right back

erm

right so martin

What a sub, come on VIlla!!!! It an attacking decision, with Milner as a wing back

Interesting sub, but I like the idea of the two big men up front, I really expect that to upset Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds like Chelsea are looking to win this having exhausted as little energy as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement