Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experiments with Indian classical scales

• 20-02-2009 4:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

The beautiful sound of Indian classical scales has always fascinated me as a composer ever since i took up music composition. The style of combining electronic sounds with Indian classical sounds has been taken up by many and beautifully executed, the result being pure musical bliss. I am trying to explore more in this area of music and am constantly in search of good classical singers/musicians who i can collaborate with.
    The first track Jiyaraa from my upcoming album A beautiful sound is available as a free download from www.rayandthebrotherhood.webs.com which would give an idea of my style. Looking forward to meeting new ethnic musicians/singers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

Hi raymehta!

I cannot listen to your music right now but as a huge indian classical music fan i urge you to listen to some hindustani music, as im not a connoisseur of karnatic music. If you want names or references, there is an unmissable site about indian music which is the following;

www.musicindiaonline.com

I guess you know about the american minimalists that were really into indian music (Terry Riley and La Monte Young in particular) having performed with Pandit Pran Nath during the 60's, unfortunately some recordings are very hard to find, I have a collection of LaMonte Young works that can be interesting to your listening, just ask if you are interested.

If you have good references to share, don't hesitate!:D

Bye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have a collection of LaMonte Young works

Lucky you, I've been trying to buy LaMonte Young stuff for aaaaaaages but as he keeps everything out of print, it's all way beyond my price range on ebay, amazon, etc. The only thing I have is the Dream Syndicate stuff Table of the Elements Released.

Never really got into Indian classical in a big way (I think I have one Ravi Shankar album...) but it's on my to do list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 CeluiDuDehors

Well most of my stuff from LaMonte Young has been encoded to mp3 so I can share! As I have hours and hours of music, there's definitely a selection to make, but I can make a list of what I have and upload them if you want! Thinking about that, if you haven't heard "The well tuned piano" (in reference to the famous "well tempered clavier" from Bach) is a real Masterpiece of Young, 6hours of solo piano, this is just a real hypnotic esperience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Thinking about that, if you haven't heard "The well tuned piano" (in reference to the famous "well tempered clavier" from Bach) is a real Masterpiece of Young, 6hours of solo piano, this is just a real hypnotic esperience!
    I was reading a very interesting book called Four Musical Minimalists (can't think of the author off top of my head), but he talks about the processes involved in a performance of The Well-Tuned Piano. I think you have to allow about 3 months to set up the space/piano correctly before LaMonte Young will let the piece be performed? Would be amazing to experience it though.

Advertisement