Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Libertas claims EU backers 'intimidated'

Options
  • 20-02-2009 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Libertas claims EU backers 'intimidated' : http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0219/libertas.html

A very serious allegation to be making. Let's see if they proffer any proof or if one of those who were allegedly intimidated into distancing themselves from their actions speaks up about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Rte.ie wrote:
    In order to be eligible a party must collect supporting signatures from elected officials in at least seven EU nations.

While Libertas did so, its named supporters in Estonia and Bulgaria later withdrew their support, leading parliament to re-examine the case.

Libertas said the two sponsors who changed their minds were 'intimidated into distancing themselves from their actions'.
    God forbid someone should change their mind, eh Declan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Well the pro treaty side can commission RTE to make a prime time special attacking Ganley from every angle. While people who dont even read the treaty get handled with kit gloves. Governments in favour of the treaty can intimidate politians quiet easily. I dont think prime time will be so quick to investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Dob74 wrote: »
    Well the pro treaty side can commission RTE to make a prime time special attacking Ganley from every angle. While people who dont even read the treaty get handled with kit gloves. Governments in favour of the treaty can intimidate politians quiet easily. I dont think prime time will be so quick to investigate.

...and so we should simply accept what Mr Ganley says uncritically? It's a very serious accusation - one that would certainly have Mr Ganley reaching for his lawyers if the positions were reversed. It needs proof, I fear, and the only evidence presented is that the gentlemen in question apparently signed Libertas membership forms - whereas what should have been presented were the official non-Libertas witnesses.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Scofflaw wrote: »
    ...and so we should simply accept what Mr Ganley says uncritically? It's a very serious accusation - one that would certainly have Mr Ganley reaching for his lawyers if the positions were reversed. It needs proof, I fear, and the only evidence presented is that the gentlemen in question apparently signed Libertas membership forms - whereas what should have been presented were the official non-Libertas witnesses.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ganley is no saint and I am sure he is as trustworthy as our current politians( ie. not very trustworthy). But there is definately a dirty tricks campaign against him. Terry Prone called for him to be investigated as soon as the Lisbon Treaty was lost. The Prime Time special on him was similiar to Rock Bottoms profile of Homer. So I have lost alot of respect for rte when they refer Ganley.
    Reading the article it just looks like the current parties in the EU parliment want to prevent competition. I dont blame them for trying to stop him. I would do that to save my job to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Ganley is no saint and I am sure he is as trustworthy as our current politians( ie. not very trustworthy). But there is definately a dirty tricks campaign against him. Terry Prone called for him to be investigated as soon as the Lisbon Treaty was lost. The Prime Time special on him was similiar to Rock Bottoms profile of Homer. So I have lost alot of respect for rte when they refer Ganley.

I accept that he has enemies, both in the press and in politics. Most people in politics do.
    Reading the article it just looks like the current parties in the EU parliment want to prevent competition. I dont blame them for trying to stop him. I would do that to save my job to.

Well, they wouldn't have had much to do with it, and if he hasn't got the signatories needed to be recognised as a European party in advance of the elections, then he hasn't filled the criteria.

What's odd, though, is that something like this should have been officially witnessed by a notary public. There's virtually no piece of paper worth signing in continental Europe that doesn't require you to get a notary to witness the signing. The matter should be beyond dispute.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
Advertisement