Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What do you guys think of Opel Ampera aka Chevy Volt

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

you are right, did not look at that pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Looks very like the Civic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

The future is electric, the problem with electric is range

This car is electric with enough battery reserve to do 45km on a full charge ( which is enough for 80% of all commutes )

You need something to charge the batteries (as efficienctly as possible) when you want a longer range ergo: small engine running at constant rpm charging batteries. At no time is the small engine mechanically linked to the gearbox/wheels.

When battery technology is up to it they will drop the small engine.

For those who think electric is not green - because coal is used to generate the electricity that is used to charge the car when plugged in... the dirtiest coal fired power station is an order of magnitude more efficient ( greener) than the most modern internal combustion engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I saw the Volt PR campaign is in full swing in the US media. Seems someone needs to justify more government handouts.

On the US news they said 40 mile range from the battery & would cost $40K. I am no expert in US cars but I am sure $40k would get you a really good car over there.

IMO 40 mile range is far too low even if a petrol engine included. At 40 miles you would end up using the petrol engine too often which woiuld negate the extra cost of the car.

Advertisement