Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider Dublin a world class city?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

In terms of culture, desirability as a tourist destination, infrastructure, financial hub, educated population, sport/leisure and so on.

Discuss.

Is Dublin a world class city? 129 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    23% 30 votes
    Getting there
    76% 99 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The people let it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Dubliners are not that bad surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Used to be OK until the foreigners left for home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

What about some of the most educated minds in the world who left ne're to return?

Could you name a few of them??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The people let it down.

Rubbish. The people make it, its a great city, and I have been to lots and lots of cities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lightening wrote: »
    Rubbish. The people make it, its a great city, and I have been to lots and lots of cities.
    Good for you.

I know it is. Fair play to you for coming around to my way of thinking, now, get out there and enjoy your capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No, it's just a fancy town

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »

I have also been to a lot of cities and Dublin is nothing compared to most of them.

And a filthy town. Everywhere you look you see days old litter. Shameful.

Dublin needs a skyline lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

Afraid not.

No public transport system worth speaking of. Public amenities non existent. Worst city for tourists to navigate. Lax legal system allows scum to walk the streets. Congestion second only to Tokyo (but at least there is a decent public transport system in Tokyo).

Just some points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

corkhero wrote: »
    I have also been to a lot of cities and Dublin is nothing compared to most of them.

you must be a proper Cork "hero" to come on to a Dublin City thread and start slating Dublin.

How original of you.

When is the mid term break over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I have to admit I would class Dublin as one of the worst cities I have visited i'm afraid. Very over priced, dirty, and not alot of culture. Not trying to cause offence here. I mean I'm from Sligo so what would I know? :) I did live there for three years though. On the plus side is easy to get around and the people are really nice.

lubie76 wrote: »
    I have to admit I would class Dublin as one of the worst cities I have visited i'm afraid. Very over priced, dirty, and not alot of culture. Not trying to cause offence here. I mean I'm from Sligo so what would I know? :) I did live there for three years though. On the plus side is easy to get around and the people are really nice.

Fair points, but, someone from Sligo giving out about litter in Dublin????:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

and not alot of culture
    Ridiculous

I'm from Sligo so what would I know? :) I did live there for three years

Spending your time in Roddy Bolands, Flannery's and Coppers will not enlighten you as to the cultural richness that Dublin has to offer, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Dublin has its virtues. But a world class city? No.
    It's a small, fairly dirty city on a small island on the periphery of Europe.

Des wrote: »
    you must be a proper Cork "hero" to come on to a Dublin City thread and start slating Dublin.

How original of you.

When is the mid term break over?

Jeez, where did i slate dublin?

I just said that i wouldnt class it as a world class city.

• Advertisement

A lot of my rural friends who work in Dublin go home every weekend, they come up on a Sunday night, work the week, watch TV or sit in front of their PC's every night and head home on Fridays. They don't do much research about where they live, usually close to someone they know. They don't spend many weekends in the city and when they do they go where their gang goes, some dump.

This is the reason they get a jaundiced view of Dublin. They choose to live in rough areas, they don't get out and visit the galleries, museums, they don't take it in, they don't visit the restaurants and cafes, they don't go to the nicer pubs, they don't get out in to Dublin bay, they never go to the beaches, islands, parks, they wouldn't dream of canoeing on the waterways, or even do the booze tours or walking tours around the city.

Some of them are coming around and are beginning to enjoy the city though.

They then go online and say Dublin is a dump!

As for the comment about the city being overpriced? I have never seen as many brilliant deals at the moment. Even through the celtic tiger there was excellent food to be got for half nothing around Moore st. and Parnell st.

EDIT!!! Oh yeah, then they go to Prague for a weekend, visit museums and go to good restaurants and harp on about it for weeks!!! Try it in your own capital!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

I would say that Dublin is not without its charms but it is no way imo a world class city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Newsflash: it doesn't have to be a world class city (whatever the fuck that means) to be a city of worth. It's a small to medium sized city with some great points and some problems, just like anywhere else.

Some useful links for residents that hate the place so much:

http://www.aerlingus.com
    http://www.irishrail.ie
    http://www.buseireann.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dublin would be better if it wasnt so full of whining hypocritical peasants from the country who profess to hate the place but carry on living in it nonetheless.

Dublin has its charms, its a decent enough city to live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Or more to the point, can somebody outline where we can find one of these world-class cities? A city that every single person that lives there has no complaints about?

Or is this the typical student travel-tales wank of Dublin's OK, but it's seriously not New York or San Fran, like, {insert wacky J1-related tale here}.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

What is a world class city?

Dublin has its pros and cons which have been discussed on Boards ad infinitum but while I'm typing I'll give you mine.

Pros

The people
    The history
    Some of the buildings
    Not too big to be anonymous but not too small that you can't walk outside your door without everyone knowing your business
    Close to the sea, mountains and countryside
    Some lovely seaside villages like Malahide and Howth where you can just walk along the harbour wall and forget about everything

Cons

Litter and the general attitude towards it
    Crime
    Some godawful ugly buildings eg Busaras - I remember seeing some architect on RTE name this as his fav Dublin building, needless to say I wouldn't let him design my dog kennel
    No public transport after 11.30
    Pub hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

As a tourist i don't think i'd consider it world class but i'm not a tourist, i'm a true blue Dub and i absolutely adore Dublin. Obviously has it's bad points but where doesn't?

I'm from town the very centre of Dublin but the job i'm in has taken me to every part of Dublin, north and southside and the more i see of it the more i love it. I love being from Ireland but i'm even more proud to be from Dublin and as pathetic as it is, when i'm away from it, i can't wait to get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anto McC wrote: »
    As a tourist i don't think i'd consider it world class but i'm not a tourist, i'm a true blue Dub and i absolutely adore Dublin. Obviously has it's bad points but where doesn't?

I'm from town the very centre of Dublin but the job i'm in has taken me to every part of Dublin, north and southside and the more i see of it the more i love it. I love being from Ireland but i'm even more proud to be from Dublin and as pathetic as it is, when i'm away from it, i can't wait to get back.

Thanks, I'm pretty much the same.

I've travelled extensively too, and no matter where I am I find I'm comparing it with Dublin and everywhere without exception has fallen short.

Ok we have our problems, I hate the hourdes of junkies allowed walk our streets plying their trade (I'm thinking around the Christ Church & Tara St train station mainly).

I hate how we've lost Moore St. to foreign tack, but then I love how the Chinese have transformed Parnell St too - so I take the good with the bad.

Is it a world class city?.. I wouldn't rate it as such, but it has unique qualities and I love being a 'Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Spot on Mairt. I've to walk past the junkies on Tara Street on my way to and from work and it's so disgusting. What bothers me even more is when they're on the steps of the Custom House. I mean here is this beautiful building with proper history, in a picture setting and the junkies are sitting or sleeping on the steps. How many pictures have been ruined over the years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

What's this need with Irish people to be seen as living in a cosmopolitan city?

No Dublin is most certainly not a world class city though the people in it would like to think so. It's a bit of a joke when you think about. Sports? Not a hope. Only got a 50M pool a few years ago FFS. And it's the only one in Ireland - I'm stretching my argument to further afield than Dublin here.

The state of our national roads is another thing. This shouldn't even be an issue. Look at the likes of NY - that's world class, now look at Dublin. I don't just mean the appearance but everything, transport etc..

I agree with MagicMarker, the people do let it down to a degree too.

Advertisement