Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider Dublin a world class city?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

lightening wrote: »
    Rubbish. The people make it, its a great city, and I have been to lots and lots of cities.

Oh well you must be right then! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Is Dublin "world class" - no, not yet. When the Metro and Interconnector are done then it will be nearly there.

But I have to take issue with the country people who consistently berate the Capital - which is the only real city on the Island - don't forget. I don't know whether your just a bit dim or whatever down the country (your voting patterns would suggest you are!) but tourists, funnily enough, do not agree with your pathetic trolling attacks. And don't get me started on posters from that village called Cork. Dublin keeps this country going. We actually subsidise the whole country in the same way London does the UK. I note alot of people in Birmingham and Manchester have the same begrudgery toward London as is displayed in Ireland when the culchies are criticising Dublin.

Dublin is a big place. The center is relatively small (but in actual fact the center is bigger then both Manchester and Birmingham city centers despite it being compact) - but go out to the suburbs and there are plenty of beautiful areas and things to see and do and nice little jewels in there. Kiliney, Malahide, Howth, Dundrum, Portmarnock, Bray, Castleknock, Ballsbridge, Rathfarnham etc etc all have their individual charms and charactistics. The scenery on the Southside near the mountains is stunning. You have places like Dollymount which most Capital cities in Europe can only dream of posistion like Dublin's - on a beautiful bay and by the mountains. Look at Howth. Look at the beautiful Georgian achitecture. The Stadia - both Croke Park and soon the Aviva - world class. The museums are absolutely terrific - the things the toursists actually bother their arse going to see unlike the constant begrudgers. We have a tram, the dart, a reasonably good bus system, suburban rail, too many taxi's, a probrable metro coming and a possible interconnector. We will get our tall buildings sooner rather then later. We will have a much improved international airport soon. Our roads are getting much better by the year and I would not class our roads being "bad" anymore. The motorways are great. Dublin is not to everyones taste but most people in Dublin love Dublin and there is much to be proud of about the city for all it's problems. What city does not have problems!? Dublin has so much potential and it is a cracking, very cosmopolitan city, so all you begrudgers go sit on a tack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The people let it down.

Exactly, we need the sacking of all people involved in public transport and planning in the city and a new team brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    Sports? Not a hope.

What do you mean by this? Sailing clubs, kite surfing, rock climbing, GAA, Croke Park, American football clubs, soccer clubs, indoor and outdoor, canoeing clubs, rugby clubs, running, athletics, rowing clubs, mountaineering, badminton, volleyball, tennis courts... The list goes on. Also, there are three 50 meter pools in Ireland, two of them in Dublin.

And as for your sarcastic "you must be right" with your raised eyes picture... What do you mean by that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No . As previous poster said ,Dublin has some wonderful suburbs both on the north and south of the city and it's own sense of self but has I think lost a lot of it's old fashioned charm .Maybe not a world class city in international terms , but perhaps it was never ment to be one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

darkman2 wrote: »
    Is Dublin "world class" - no, not yet. When the Metro and Interconnector are done then it will be nearly there.

But I have to take issue with the country people who consistently berate the Capital - which is the only real city on the Island - don't forget. I don't know whether your just a bit dim or whatever down the country (your voting patterns would suggest you are!) but tourists, funnily enough, do not agree with your pathetic trolling attacks. And don't get me started on posters from that village called Cork. Dublin keeps this country going. We actually subsidise the whole country in the same way London does the UK. I note alot of people in Birmingham and Manchester have the same begrudgery toward London as is displayed in Ireland when the culchies are criticising Dublin.

Dublin is a big place. The center is relatively small (but in actual fact the center is bigger then both Manchester and Birmingham city centers despite it being compact) - but go out to the suburbs and there are plenty of beautiful areas and things to see and do and nice little jewels in there. Kiliney, Malahide, Howth, Dundrum, Portmarnock, Bray, Castleknock, Ballsbridge, Rathfarnham etc etc all have their individual charms and charactistics. The scenery on the Southside near the mountains is stunning. You have places like Dollymount which most Capital cities in Europe can only dream of posistion like Dublin's - on a beautiful bay and by the mountains. Look at Howth. Look at the beautiful Georgian achitecture. The Stadia - both Croke Park and soon the Aviva - world class. The museums are absolutely terrific - the things the toursists actually bother their arse going to see unlike the constant begrudgers. We have a tram, the dart, a reasonably good bus system, suburban rail, too many taxi's, a probrable metro coming and a possible interconnector. We will get our tall buildings sooner rather then later. We will have a much improved international airport soon. Our roads are getting much better by the year and I would not class our roads being "bad" anymore. The motorways are great. Dublin is not to everyones taste but most people in Dublin love Dublin and there is much to be proud of about the city for all it's problems. What city does not have problems!? Dublin has so much potential and it is a cracking, very cosmopolitan city, so all you begrudgers go sit on a tack.

I understand your frustration here at the backward atitude of some people from "the country" as a lot of Dublin people refer to non Dubs. However this atitude has a flipside when people (like you have done here) from Dublin assume everyone from "the country" is like this.

For a start Dublin is part of "the country" as well.Secondly most of the people in provincial cities and towns have a lifestyle identical to your average Dubliner i.e they are part of an urban society and rural living is as alien to them as someone who grew up in Phibsborough. They have the same atitudes towards country people banterwise as a Dubliner would.

Now the part of Ireland I come from we have political battles to fight regarding things like jobs and infrastructure and so on and so forth like everywhere else.On local level we hear the same thing that "we get everything" when the reality is completely different.We also get it from Cork incidentally but that isn't the point.It's the atitude that will never change.For progress to be made the people who know better have to rise above it and try and reach agreement.

On the subject at hand I personally love Dublin.Is it a world class city?I think it is or at least has the potential to be.It has massive potential.It has been done down for centuries due to our turbulent history but I personally think it could be one of the five major cities in Europe (as it once was) and one of the best places to live in the world. There was a time it was a backwater but comparing it to British cities there is only one now in reality that Dublin does not exceed and that is London.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I agree. I was not labelling all country people btw.

I completely agree. Dublin is far more "European" then British cities and like you say I consider it a nicer place then Manchester, Birmingham or Glasgow. Edinburgh is nice but Dublin has better transport then Edinburgh and has just the right mass of people to give it that real city like aoura which Edinburgh lacks. Cardiff is tiny so cannot really be compared but it also has it's moments. London is a huge city and, like you, I definately regard Dublin as second to it but that is not to put down Dublin. London is a global city that is better then the vast majority on the planet.

Obviously Dublin has alot of unfulfilled potential and I do wish there was a bit more civic responsibility from more of the citizens at times - but we are way to critical of the city in Ireland IMO.

darkman2 wrote: »
    I agree. I was not labelling all country people btw.

I completely agree. Dublin is far more "European" then British cities and like you say I consider it a nicer place then Manchester, Birmingham or Glasgow. Edinburgh is nice but Dublin has better transport then Edinburgh and has just the right mass of people to give it that real city like aoura which Edinburgh lacks. Cardiff is tiny so cannot really be compared but it also has it's moments. London is a huge city and, like you, I definately regard Dublin as second to it but that is not to put down Dublin. London is a global city that is better then the vast majority on the planet.

Obviously Dublin has alot of unfulfilled potential and I do wish there was a bit more civic responsibility from more of the citizens at times - but we are way to critical of the city in Ireland IMO.

Don't worry as frustrating as it is "knocking your own", is not only a Dublin phenomenan,

"the country" as a lot of Dublin people refer to non Dubs

I have hear this complaint a few times and it's as mad as fish with tits. What would you like Dubs to call people that are from other areas other than Dublin when we don't know where they are from? Is it that bad being called from the country??

No offense meant fuzzy..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Dublin needs some serious urban redevelopment, the docks need to be utilised thoughtfully, transport needs a kick up the arse, litter needs to be sorted (although it is improving), more pedestrianised streets, get rid of early Celtic Tiger era buildings along the Quays and more visible policing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Second to London????? :eek:FFS take ur heads from up your ass and inhale some reality. Dublin has potential to be a decent city but we are about 10/20 years behind any of 20 cities in the UK. Niether is Dublin a World class city and probobly never will be. Dublin has it's own charm and is nationally leading the way, but it's still developing in so many ways. Most ppl who have visions of grandure about Dublin have not been anywhere out of it. Second to London, HA, still pissing myself about that:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Define world class city.

If you mean metropolis like New York London or Sydney it's most certainly not.

If you mean medium size European capital city with reasonable offer and perks like the sea/Wicklow a stone throw from the city centre then it most certainly is. It would be in one league with the likes of Stockholm, Lisbon etc.

Myself I wouldn't like to live in a huge urban monster and I appreciate that Dublin is busy enough and relaxed enough at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Nowhere near and never will be while we have people living in the dark ages with bizzare opening hours (not to mention the extreme cost)

I have hear this complaint a few times and it's as mad as fish with tits. What would you like Dubs to call people that are from other areas other than Dublin when we don't know where they are from? Is it that bad being called from the country??

Dubs can call people by the areas they are from.That's what everyone else does without any problems.

sparkzter wrote: »
    Second to London????? :eek:FFS take ur heads from up your ass and inhale some reality. Dublin has potential to be a decent city but we are about 10/20 years behind any of 20 cities in the UK. Niether is Dublin a World class city and probobly never will be. Dublin has it's own charm and is nationally leading the way, but it's still developing in so many ways. Most ppl who have visions of grandure about Dublin have not been anywhere out of it. Second to London, HA, still pissing myself about that:pac::pac::pac:

What is so outstanding about any of these cities in the UK?

Dubs can call people by the areas they are from.That's what everyone else does without any problems.

I will repeat the question:

What would you like Dubs to call people that are from other areas other than Dublin when we don't know where they are from?

What is so so wrong with being called "From the country?" How can that be insulting? How about "non Dubliners"?

"There will be lots of non Dubliners up this weekend to do their shopping" Sounds crap if you ask me.

PC gone mad, I don't call them muckers, culchies, bog hoppers, rednecks, gruelers, duegenes, inbreeds or hicks. I refer to them as "from the country" and still SOMEONE GETS THE HUMP!!!! Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

herya wrote: »
    Define world class city.

I'd also be interested in any definitions offered . What are the criteria for this ?
    In my admittedly limited experience I'd put it on a par with Prague though 20 years ago Dublin would have been way ahead IMO . When abroad there are many people who know of and declare a desire to visit Dublin and many who have been here and claim to have loved the place . Maybe a lot of that was courtesy but I'd still make the call that in that context it must be a "world-class" city . In the context of a Dublin poll on a Dublin forum I'd say you could have called it "Dublin - Love It or Hate It" and got the same replies and vote count . There's plenty to like and dislike about Dublin but I'd struggle to name any city that is obviously better .
    Maybe Stepford but wasnt that a town ? ... Oh , wait . That ended badly anyways :(

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

What is so outstanding about any of these cities in the UK?

+1

They really are not anything special, explain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

No but I love it. I am a pan-europeanist, and love many cities throughout europe but dublin does have some great qualities about it. One thing Dublin is not is an enigma, like one of those american cities or London, Paris etc. it sucks with this recession, i was looking forward to seeing what dublin would be like in 2020, will probably be slowed down somehwat, but ah yeah i love it

It definetly feels 'European'(whatver that means) and the people generally on a day to day basis are pretty damn sound.

btw part of me would love to see more modern high rise buildings, but jesus they hardly make a city better or more enjoyable.

the problem with dublin is its isolated from the mainland, but with cheap flights its hardly a big deal to come for two days and see it. im sure some are not fond of it but u cant please everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

anladmór wrote: »

the problem with dublin is its isolated from the mainland.

Has the Tolka burst it's banks again ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A world class metropolis? No. A world class city? Not too far off where it should be. It is criminally undervalued, let down by public transport and the lack of respect from those who commute in and out every day and never spend quality time in the city.

There's only two cities that I've been I'd prefer, Cape Town and Zurich. And still I'd visit back.

I will repeat the question:

What would you like Dubs to call people that are from other areas other than Dublin when we don't know where they are from?

What is so so wrong with being called "From the country?" How can that be insulting? How about "non Dubliners"?

"There will be lots of non Dubliners up this weekend to do their shopping" Sounds crap if you ask me.

PC gone mad, I don't call them muckers, culchies, bog hoppers, rednecks, gruelers, duegenes, inbreeds or hicks. I refer to them as "from the country" and still SOMEONE GETS THE HUMP!!!! Get over yourself.

You sound like your the one has the hump.Nobody else is posting in Mega bold.There such a thing as simple courtesy.It is dangerous to assume where somebody is from.Is somebody from Cork to assume a Drogheda person is from Northern Ireland.People fron Tipp and say Longford can have these converstion with asking this stupid question.Now I'll repeat the question.What country are Dubs from?

Now my font is larger than yours.Does that mean I win?:rolleyes:

In this thread, I referred to everyone in the country that are not from Dublin as being from the country and you pulled me up on it, you took issue and had a problem with it. What should I have said? People from Cork, Limerick, Kerry.... and name all the counties?

If someone is not from Dublin and we don't know where they are from you will be referred to as from the country. Deal with it, there are worse things you can be called and there are worse things you are called. I tend not to use these terms, but you still get all insulted and whingy about it.

Now if you want to go all pc and sensitive about it you can come up with some other term like "non capital persons" or "of non Dublin origin personage" go for it, It won't catch on.

Now, to answer your question. Dubs are from Ireland, lets not forget, the battle for the country was fought on the banks of the Liffey by proud Irish men and women from all over the country.

In this thread, I referred to everyone in the country that are not from Dublin as being from the country and you pulled me up on it, you took issue and had a problem with it. What should I have said? People from Cork, Limerick, Kerry.... and name all the counties?

If someone is not from Dublin and we don't know where they are from you will be referred to as from the country. Deal with it, there are worse things you can be called and there are worse things you are called. I tend not to use these terms, but you still get all insulted and whingy about it.

Now if you want to go all pc and sensitive about it you can come up with some other term like "non capital persons" or "of non Dublin origin personage" go for it, It won't catch on.

Now, to answer your question. Dubs are from Ireland, lets not forget, the battle for the country was fought on the banks of the Liffey by proud Irish men and women from all over the country.

Firstly get your facts right.I didn't pull you up on anything.I was replying to a different poster when I raised this issue.You're the one who butted in and responded to my post.At least have the courtesy to read peoples posts before you come back with some smarmy reply.

Secondly if you did read the posts properly you would have realised you and I were on the same side of the debate before this thread has turned into the sideshow you turned it into.What you're saying is your incapable of interacting with someone if you can't pidgeon hole them.Your brain must crash if you meet someone with a neutral accent.

Thirdly "from the country" has a very specific meaning in Dublin i.e people not from Dublin. It has the same meaning effectively to someone who grew up in the rergional cities or big towns. I suppose there are worse things to be called but what's your point? Also I don't have to come up with anything.I used the term "non-Dub" short and sweet.I've seen other people use different expressions,some similar,some more long winded.They didn't have a problem doing this.You just refuse to.Your the one who doesn't seem to be able to deal with things properly.Whether it catches on is irrelevant.Who says it won't anyway. You?:DThe fact is anyone worth their salt can do this.

No wonder this country is in the **** it's in.When people on your own side argue with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Topmail

Dublin is far from being a major world city more like slum village

Thirdly "from the country" has a very specific meaning in Dublin i.e people not from Dublin

At last. You see it my way...

At last. You see it my way...

Not exactly. You don't seem to want to acknowledge the ignorance of the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

a complete dump and i am ashamed to call it our capital city
    1) dirt and letter all over it
    2) People take a piss anywhere day or night
    3) people injecting them selves on street day and night and needles every where
    4) it is a nightmare for to get from airport to city centre

Not exactly. You don't seem to want to acknowledge the ignorance of the term.

It's just a term, nothing derogatory or anything. For instance, today there was a car in front of me, the driver was obviously lost, I didn't want to beep or do anything cause I reckoned the driver was FROM THE COUNTRY... Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

A lot of my rural friends who work in Dublin go home every weekend, they come up on a Sunday night, work the week, watch TV or sit in front of their PC's every night and head home on Fridays. They don't do much research about where they live, usually close to someone they know. They don't spend many weekends in the city and when they do they go where their gang goes, some dump.

This is the reason they get a jaundiced view of Dublin. They choose to live in rough areas, they don't get out and visit the galleries, museums, they don't take it in, they don't visit the restaurants and cafes, they don't go to the nicer pubs, they don't get out in to Dublin bay, they never go to the beaches, islands, parks, they wouldn't dream of canoeing on the waterways, or even do the booze tours or walking tours around the city.

Some of them are coming around and are beginning to enjoy the city though.

They then go online and say Dublin is a dump!

As for the comment about the city being overpriced? I have never seen as many brilliant deals at the moment. Even through the celtic tiger there was excellent food to be got for half nothing around Moore st. and Parnell st.

EDIT!!! Oh yeah, then they go to Prague for a weekend, visit museums and go to good restaurants and harp on about it for weeks!!! Try it in your own capital!!

Very good point. I'm not from Dublin, I don't live there, but I do like the place.
    Is it world class? It would help if I knew what that meant exactly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
    This is a link to a page about Global Cities, ranked according to economic, social, cultural and political importance. Don't strain your eyes, Dublin isn't mentioned.
    I came across this a while back and I'm sure Dublin did feature on it at one stage, but I can't find it now (that's wikipedia for you). It was classed as a beta city I think.

I enjoy Dublin for what it is, I don't think too much about what it's not. Irish people are too concerned with what others think of us, we constantly compare ourselves because as a nation we have an inferiority complex.

Maybe Dublin will be a "world class" city when people stop asking if it is.

As for this Dublin vs country rant, its all very amusing. Personally I don't allow where I'm from to define me, but good luck to you all.

Advertisement