Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider Dublin a world class city?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭pcardin

Dublin is the 16th most expensive city in the world....so I guess it is a world class city (at least by this measurement) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Svalbard wrote: »
    Is it world class? It would help if I knew what that meant exactly.

I don't really know what that means either!!! I guess it's up to what people consider world class, some would say the architecture, others the history, others the fashion... I would consider it a mix of culture, sports, natural amenities, atmosphere and entertainment.

When I look at what Dublin has to offer and what I get out of Dublin every week, I reckon its world class.

If people don't get anything out of the city, if they don't use it, embrace it... of course they will think its crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bluscreendream

If we could push through a Skanger Nutering Act then the ol' city would probably have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

lightening wrote: »
    It's just a term, nothing derogatory or anything. For instance, today there was a car in front of me, the driver was obviously lost, I didn't want to beep or do anything cause I reckoned the driver was FROM THE COUNTRY... Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all.

I'm sure he was from the country:rolleyes:

Because there's no way he could've been from Dublin or from some other country:rolleyes:

But never mind keep up with the pedantry with someone who actually loves your City while 3 other posters call it a slum,dump or some other derogetory term.Nice one.

I'm sure he was from the country:rolleyes:

He was. He stopped and asked me to help with directions.

from the country

Racist!!!!

• Advertisement

He was. He stopped and asked me to help with directions

A minute ago you just "reckoned" he was from the country because he looked lost.Now you were actually talking to him.

:D
    Tell me, Were you thinking about beeping him while you were in conversation.Or did he ask you for directions when he was in front of you?

Racist!!!!

WTF?:eek:

A minute ago you just "reckoned" he was from the country because he looked lost.Now you were actually talking to him.

Tell me, Were you thinking about beeping him while you were in conversation.Or did he ask you for directions when he was in front of you?

Jaysus, this is getting tiresome.

He was driving in front of me very slowly, my wife said "don't blow him off the road, he could be from the country" I said "I wasn't going to" eventually he saw me in his mirrors, waved and pulled over. When I got level with him I stopped and my wife rolled down her window. He asked me where and old folks home was. He had a non-Dublin-but-Irish accent (that ok?) I gave him directions, he thanked me in his thick no-Dublin-but-Irish accent and we went our separate ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Jaysus, this is getting tiresome.

He was driving in front of me very slowly, my wife said "don't blow him off the road, he could be from the country" I said "I wasn't going to" eventually he saw me in his mirrors, waved and pulled over. When I got level with him I stopped and my wife rolled down her window. He asked me where and old folks home was. He had a non-Dublin-but-Irish accent (that ok?) I gave him directions, he thanked me in his thick no-Dublin-but-Irish accent and we went our separate ways.

I object to your use of the word thick to describe this metropolitanly challenged individual's accent. It implies that his accent was strong or difficult to understand, just because he was from the midlands or Cavan or Limerick or some other non-Dublinesque place. As we all know, this is just not possible as the rustically gifted citizens of Ireland all speak in clear, characterful and almost poetic tones. For shame.

I object to your use of the word thick to describe this metropolitanly challenged individual's accent. It implies that his accent was strong or difficult to understand, just because he was from the midlands or Cavan or Limerick or some other non-Dublinesque place. As we all know, this is just not possible as the rustically gifted citizens of Ireland all speak in clear, characterful and almost poetic tones. For shame.

AAAAAAAAGHHH! It's Fuzzy Dunlops Not-from-Dublin-but-from-Ireland PC policeman brother!!!!!

• The question is 'is Dublin a world class city'? No, it isn't, IMO. It's very small, there are very few museums, galleries, etc, public transport is a joke (no metro, buses stop at 11.30 bar a few overpriced Nitelinks, city centre based bus routes). It just doesn't have the facilities of a world class city. That's not to say it's completely crap, but you CAN'T compare it to London, Paris, Madrid, New York. They're all in another league.
    I have hear this complaint a few times and it's as mad as fish with tits. What would you like Dubs to call people that are from other areas other than Dublin when we don't know where they are from? Is it that bad being called from the country??

You genuinely don't see anything wrong with lumping the entire population of Ireland outside the capital into a category called 'country people'? It's really condescending. 'The country' implies a place with fields and farms, a rural place. There ARE towns outside Dublin, you know. And even cities!

• Advertisement

[quote=[Deleted User];59184240]You genuinely don't see anything wrong with lumping the entire population of Ireland outside the capital into a category called 'country people'? It's really condescending[/QUOTE]

No, not at all, what do you want me to call all people in Ireland that live outside Dublin collectively?
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Depends where the city stops to be honest. Just in and around O'Connell Street and the likes probably is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

o'connell st. could be fan ****ing tastic if they made it more 'artsy'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

If we could push through a Skanger Nutering Act then the ol' city would probably have a chance.

+1, Dublin has become horrendously bad with junkies and skangers over the last 10 years. It's a kip now, with few redeeming features. And that's coming from someone who once loved the place and could never imagine moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Intothesea

I think 'from the country' can sound dismissive
    to people who might expect the average Dubliner
    to have a condescending attitude to anyone not
    from there. Changing that expectation might
    involve leaving out terms that cause concern.

On topic, I don't think Dublin is world-class in
    comparison with whatever is defined as world
    -class -- but no odds. It's the kind of city
    that suits us I think: walkable, personal,
    culture and booze-soaked, mildly irrational :pac:

• No, not at all, what do you want me to call all people in Ireland that live outside Dublin collectively?

I can't think of too many situations where you'd have to do that, and if you did, what's wrong with 'non-Dubliners'/'non-Dubs'? What's with this 'country' nonsense? How come people in other countries manage to describe the poor souls who don't live in the capital without making them sound like backward peasants? It's so Dublin centric - so Dublin is the 'city' and everywhere else is just 'the country'. Londoners don't refer to Newcastle or Southampton as 'the country.' :confused: It's just such an odd, inaccurate term to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I had a feeling that this might descend into petty squabbling re: Dublin Vs the rest of Ireland. Just to throw something into the mix which is sure to fire up some regional lurkers, as far as I concerned Dublin even though it may not be quite be at world class city standards just yet is still the only REAL city in Ireland. I expect I am going to have the lynch mob esp those from Cork baying for my blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Class_City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

No. And I'm from Dublin.

AAAAAAAAGHHH! It's Fuzzy Dunlops Not-from-Dublin-but-from-Ireland PC policeman brother!!!!!

You're the one playing the race card at the drop of a hat:P

[quote=[Deleted User];59190469]I can't think of too many situations where you'd have to do that[/QUOTE]

Hundreds.

[quote=[Deleted User];59190469]what's wrong with 'non-Dubliners'/'non-Dubs'?[/QUOTE]

PC gone mad bull****. Anyway, its worse and very negative, "ah, they must be non-Dubliners"????

[quote=[Deleted User];59190469]How come people in other countries manage to describe the poor souls who don't live in the capital without making them sound like backward peasants?[/QUOTE]

You have to be kidding me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

yeah i laughed at izzy wizzy there. was fairly funny. he obviously hasnt heard what northern italians think of sicilians, and the south in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Kernel wrote: »
    +1, Dublin has become horrendously bad with junkies and skangers over the last 10 years. It's a kip now, with few redeeming features. And that's coming from someone who once loved the place and could never imagine moving out.

"back in my day" - Your just getting older :P

Dublin is a large city, comparable I believe to San Francisco. Its got its good points and bad points - junkies along the quays and train stations and pricks stuck up their own arse's in D4 - we've got 'em all.

But try to stick tothe topic, shortly I'll stick up a 'Dublin Rant Thread' and you'll all have your chance to vent for a few days so try to stay on topic here!.

[quote=[Deleted User];59184240]
    You genuinely don't see anything wrong with lumping the entire population of Ireland outside the capital into a category called 'country people'? It's really condescending. 'The country' implies a place with fields and farms, a rural place. There ARE towns outside Dublin, you know. And even cities![/quote]

True. I know Cork people who call country folk culchies with disdain. But I reckon Dubs would consider Cork people culchies whether or not they are city dwellers.
    I think its pretty hilarious how Dubs make this absolute distinction between them (urbanites) and us (bog-dwellers). Its not as if Dublin is some sort of metropolis or particularly cultured. Yes it is much bigger than the other cities, but still its a pretty average city in the grand scheme of things.
    No, not at all, what do you want me to call all people in Ireland that live outside Dublin collectively?

Do we need a particular title? Its just that "them and us" attitude again. Don't get me wrong, I know people who are fairly anti-Dublin so its not all the Dubs doing.

[quote=[Deleted User];59190469] How come people in other countries manage to describe the poor souls who don't live in the capital without making them sound like backward peasants? It's so Dublin centric - so Dublin is the 'city' and everywhere else is just 'the country'. Londoners don't refer to Newcastle or Southampton as 'the country.' :confused: It's just such an odd, inaccurate term to use.[/quote]

Good point. There are inter-regional rivalries and prejudices in Britain, but at least they know where the people they are talking about are from. Then again, Britain has a number of large cities and is largely urbanised (95%) as compared to Ireland (60%) with most of those living in Dublin.
    dSTAR wrote: »
    I had a feeling that this might descend into petty squabbling re: Dublin Vs the rest of Ireland. Just to throw something into the mix which is sure to fire up some regional lurkers, as far as I concerned Dublin even though it may not be quite be at world class city standards just yet is still the only REAL city in Ireland. I expect I am going to have the lynch mob esp those from Cork baying for my blood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Class_City

Where is Dublin mentioned in that link? I can't find it but accept the possibility it might be there and I need my eyes tested. Ctrl and F can't find it anyhow.
    Cork is much smaller than Dublin, think its pop is 150,000 or so. But is is a real city, yes. It all depends on your POV. I know Americans, Australians and Europeans who consider it a city even by their standards - a small city, but a city nonetheless. Dito Limerick, Galway and Waterford. And Belfast and Derry of course, but that's getting off topic.:D
    Mairt wrote: »
    Dublin is a large city, comparable I believe to San Francisco.

Err, no. Not even close, sorry.

Can I just end by saying I don't hate Dublin or Dubs. I like Dublin for what it is, I'm quite fond of it even, but let's not get carried away here.:)

Mairt wrote: »
    Dublin is a large city, comparable I believe to San Francisco.

Sorry I re-read this, you are comparing size, not other attributes.
    SF city-proper has a pop of 750,000 I think. And Dublin supposedly has a pop of over a million, right?
    Well that figure for SF counts only the city proper. It excludes several large areas of almost contiguous urbanisation. Dublin however counts all suburbs and outlying towns (Lucan, Swords, Malahide etc).
    If the pop of SF was calculated the Dublin way, it would include most of the Bay Area (down the pen to Palo Alto, north to Marin and across the bay to Oakland and Berkeley).

Do we need a particular title? Its just that "them and us" attitude again. Don't get me wrong, I know people who are fairly anti-Dublin so its not all the Dubs doing.

Unbelievable. I married a girl from the country, my best mate is from the country, my wives family are from the country, they all use the term "from the country".

This oversensitivity is incredible. This "hatred" of people because of where they are from amazes me. The Anti-Dub Anti-Cork... etc.. horseshlte is a joke.

Unbelievable. I married a girl from the country, my best mate is from the country, my wives family are from the country, they all use the term "from the country".

This oversensitivity is incredible. This "hatred" of people because of where they are from amazes me. The Anti-Dub Anti-Cork... etc.. horseshlte is a joke.

I agree with you, Lightening!

I'm "from the country" & I do find it stange that anyone would refer to themselves that way.

How do you think people "from the country" label themselves? A Kerryman, for instance, will not say a Galway man is "from the country" - he will say he is a Galwayman.
    It's not about "hating" people because of where they're from (a bit extreme, isn't it?), its about not lumping eveyone who isn't from Dublin into one category. Whether you personally mean to or not, it does have derogatory connotations.
    Its just good manners, it isn't about being against someone because of where they are from (because that would be very petty), its about respect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It is obvious on this thread that alot of Irish suffer an inferiority complex. I have no such complex. I am damn proud of my city and I don't think many understand how beautiful and fantastic Dublin is.

Let me draw your attention to fabulous pictures on this forum thread

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=704272

I would specifically refer you to the last few pages to show how stunning Dublin is when you open your eyes.

Now tell me you are you not proud of Dublin after seeing those pictures? Does it not open your eyes to the beauty in our Capital? If not then you don't deserve a city like Dublin as your Capital. Stay with your begrudgery in the bog. The tourists don't agree with you and I don't agree with you. Dublin is world class. I love the city.

Dublin is only behind London and not by much. Open your fcukin eyes and take pride in your capital. Actually vist the museums, get involved in the history, look at the fantastic architecture and stop talking ****e.

Out and out culchie begrudgery and fcukwitness. Sick of it.

I'm "from the country" & I do find it stange that anyone would refer to themselves that way.

I don't know what part of the country you are from, I do know you are not from Dublin, therefore I will refer to you as being from the country. Get offended, get insulted... It's like that and that's the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 dublinreject

Its a tip ...

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    It is obvious on this thread that alot of Irish suffer an inferiority complex. I have no such complex. I am damn proud of my city and I don't think many understand how beautiful and fantastic Dublin is.

Let me draw your attention to fabulous pictures on this forum thread

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=704272

I would specifically refer you to the last few pages to show how stunning Dublin is when you open your eyes.

Now tell me you are you not proud of Dublin after seeing those pictures? Does it not open your eyes to the beauty in our Capital? If not then you don't deserve a city like Dublin as your Capital. Stay with your begrudgery in the bog. The tourists don't agree with you and I don't agree with you. Dublin is world class. I love the city.

Dublin is only behind London and not by much. Open your fcukin eyes and take pride in your capital. Actually vist the museums, get involved in the history, look at the fantastic architecture and stop talking ****e.

Out and out culchie begrudgery and fcukwitness. Sick of it.

Totally agree, its great to hear that people have pride in where they come from. We Irish do love to run ourselves and our fellow countrymen down, so its great to see someone so proud of where they come from.
    I don't know what part of the country you are from, I do know you are not from Dublin, therefore I will refer to you as being from the country. Get offended, get insulted... It's like that and that's the way it is.

I'm from Limerick. I'm not insulted or offended at all. I live in a rural area so I'm quite literally "from the country". If I lived in Limerick City that would be a different matter & you're assumption that I'm "from the country" would be incorrect.
    I just thought it odd you would say to your best friend, girlfriend and her family that they are "from the country" - I mean, I assume you know what part of the country they are from!!!

Advertisement