Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider Dublin a world class city?

Options

Comments

• yeah i laughed at izzy wizzy there. was fairly funny. he obviously hasnt heard what northern italians think of sicilians, and the south in general.

I'm a girl. And I know all about Italy, thanks, my family is from there. And what does this have to do with Dubliners calling the rest of Ireland 'the country'? :confused: There's absolutely no connection whatsoever. Stop grabbing at straws to make a point. You have the right to call non-Dubliners 'country people' and I have the right to think it's condescending and plain inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 EIRESABRE

To me, Dublin always was a first class city. We didn't need the Celtic Tiger to prove that. Just look at our literary heritage; Two of the finest Universitys in the world (UCD & Trinity). Let's not leave out the Liberties, no city could duplicate that - I mean that in a nice way. Yes, Dublin is first class, I'm just sorry I live 4000 miles away. Regardless, it's always home to me. Wasn't it Yates that said "A man travels the world in search of something, only to return home and find it." I believe that was the quote.

Slan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

dublin is a **** hole

run down buildings with junkies in the city center

igorant dublin bus drivers not all like that but alot are

temple bar smells like vomit

and bus eireann toilets ffs a dog would not piss there

there is a guy in there pretending to clean but its never clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

ok, I have lived in many parts of Dublin over the years, I was born there but left when I was very young. I was raised in the Northern part of the country, and was lucky enough to experience country living at its best. What I really love about Dublin, is the sense of humour, and the atmosphere on a Friday or Saturday night in the local pubs... forget the Temple Bar. Dublin people have it tougher than many of the rest of us... the highest property prices in the country, congestion.. either on the road, or at home, drug crime/crime in general, and last but not least.. the negative vibes that being from Dublin generates amongst our fellow countrymen.
    Dublin could come close to being a top city internationally; what need to change?? Heres my contribution... An end to large compensation payouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I forgot to mention, work ethos is dreadful amongst alot of Dubliners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

the highest property prices in the country

Wicklow, not Dublin.
    congestion.. either on the road, or at home

Congestion at home? Buy some Johnnies.
    the negative vibes that being from Dublin generates amongst our fellow countrymen.

Jealousy, ignorance and tarring with one brush. Happens all over the world.
    An end to large compensation payouts

They ended in the late eighties.
    I forgot to mention, work ethos is dreadful amongst alot of Dubliners

Rubbish.
    Kazu wrote: »
    igorant dublin bus drivers not all like that but alot are

So true! They will be weeded out soon hopefully. The rest of you post is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

Parts of central Dublin are what could be considered a "world class city" but if you take the whole city, suburbs included the same could not be said.

the vast majority of areas are pretty grim, infrastructure is shyte, bland housing estates 1 after the other and all you now see are generic chain stores/restaurants that can be found in any bog standard town in England

jum4 wrote: »
    bog standard town in England

Good point, but all cities have suburbs, some of the a lot worse than Dublin!! The city has a lot more to offer than bog standard towns in England, I find the towns in England are commanded by 'malls' with crap markets outside the surrounded by chain owned pubs. Dublin City Centre has different shopping and dining areas depending on what you want. Some brilliant reasonable, independent pubs and restaurants in Dublin. They give the city a lot more character than the towns in England.

We have malls like Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown with McDonalds and KFC outside the city for people who like to spend time in places that don't have souls, drive everywhere and wonder why they are fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Lack of a co-ordinated transport system lets it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Having said that, Dublin has alot going for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

world class. i don't know what makes something world class but i feckin love dublin in a lot of ways. i actually think our suburbs are pretty cool to be honest, not as drab as somewhere like berlin in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

lightening wrote: »
    A lot of my rural friends who work in Dublin go home every weekend, they come up on a Sunday night, work the week, watch TV or sit in front of their PC's every night and head home on Fridays. They don't do much research about where they live, usually close to someone they know. They don't spend many weekends in the city and when they do they go where their gang goes, some dump.

This is the reason they get a jaundiced view of Dublin. They choose to live in rough areas, they don't get out and visit the galleries, museums, they don't take it in, they don't visit the restaurants and cafes, they don't go to the nicer pubs, they don't get out in to Dublin bay, they never go to the beaches, islands, parks, they wouldn't dream of canoeing on the waterways, or even do the booze tours or walking tours around the city.

They then go online and say Dublin is a dump!

Sadly this is all too common. Many people's experience of Dublin seems to be strictly limited to O'Connell St, Connolly/Heuston/Busaras, the Ballybough side of Croke Park, and [insert cheapest/first suburb they came across]. They then go home to tell their families and friends that they've explored all of Dublin and it has nothing to offer except congestion and crime :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

out where i live one day a few months back in killiney i was talking to a family from denmark who said they absolutely loved the area and that i was so lucky to come from here :pac:

for me a world class city has a great mixture of cultures, dublin doesn't really have this well at least not a history of it, the best cities are paris, london and new york and tokyo(which is so great not because of diversity but due to sheer size and just wtf moments)

dublin is better than a lot of uk cities which some for some reason compare it too(why i don't know they're not really anything alike) because of its location. dublin has some spectacular coastline which cities of its same size in uk don't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

CiaranC wrote: »
    Dublin would be better if it wasnt so full of whining hypocritical peasants from the country who profess to hate the place but carry on living in it nonetheless.

:rolleyes: let them eat cake ..aye Lord Ciaran.

As I skim through this thread I see many examples, such as the above, of this attitude and you wonder why people from the rest of Ireland don't like going up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Yixian

Lmao at the poll results, why do Dubliners take modesty too far and turn it into self-loathing? If you made the same poll about London on a British forum it'd be 99% "Yes" despite the fact that LDN is one of the most unpleasant cities to spend more than 24 hours in on the face of the earth - believe me.

As for Dublin, I'm slightly bias but I do love it, it may be lagging behind when it comes to integrated ticketing etc. but the people, atmosphere and appearance are all damn good.

Dublin got an Alpha- on that list world capital list right? That's about right, and just what you want it to be when you consider everything above it, like London and Paris, are places all well and good for quick visits but that are horrrrrrrible to live in.

Yixian wrote: »
    Lmao at the poll results

I would imagine those that voted no are not natives, but weekday warriors.

Lmao at the poll results, why do Dubliners take modesty too far and turn it into self-loathing? If you made the same poll about London on a British forum it'd be 99% "Yes" despite the fact that LDN is one of the most unpleasant cities to spend more than 24 hours in on the face of the earth - believe me.

As for Dublin, I'm slightly bias but I do love it, it may be lagging behind when it comes to integrated ticketing etc. but the people, atmosphere and appearance are all damn good.

Dublin got an Alpha- on that list world capital list right? That's about right, and just what you want it to be when you consider everything above it, like London and Paris, are places all well and good for quick visits but that are horrrrrrrible to live in.

Because for people a world class city is a Paris, a New York, a London etc.

I'd doubt people voting no would say a city like Amsterdam or Brussels are world class cities either.

You make a very good point in final paragraph, but I don't know if they would be horrible to live in either. They seem like fun and vibrant places.

Honestly Dubliners don't know they're living, I'd love to switch Dub to London for a day and watch their heads implode with something actually worth complaining about :P

London is too big, too polluted and too crowded. Crime is absolutely through the roof and a part of your every day life if you live centrally. The people are by no means rude and are actually fairly friendly but nothing like the genuinely welcoming and polite city Dublin *is* no matter what baby belters say. Also, as much diversity as there is in London it is least integrated city in the UK, with a lot of underlying, casual racism and most ethnic groups keeping to themselves.

London has a few things over Dublin, namely more diverse restaurants and more art galleries. However Dublin is a far cleaner, more attractive city that makes much better use of it's river with less crime and the beautiful Phoenix Park.

if things continue as they are, by 2015 Dublin will be a better city on all fronts.

But imo it does need a decent opera house, Tate and a more central hospital. Really lacks those things. The Times Building should have been a city teaching hospital for UCD or Trinity, a la University College Hospital, and An Bord P should contract Calatrava to build something like the Syndey Opera House somewhere around the docklands near the O2, like this:

800px-Hemispheric_-_Valencia%2C_Spain_-_Jan_2007.jpg

Dublin is becoming one of the most exciting cities in Europe even despite attitudes like in this thread, so I can live with the Irish cynicism, it keeps the gov on it's toes anyhow.

EDIT: Also, Parnell St needs some help becoming a decent chinatown, that's another + for London, it has a brilliant one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭bladespin

I'm not from Dublin and I don't work or live there but it is a world class city, it's beautiful, vibrant, exciting and entertaining.
    There's a public transport system, not great but it's there.
    There's plenty of history there too.
    Most of the people there are friendly, same goes for any other city.
    Crime is low, it's safe to walk the streets at night though obviously you have to be careful (same as anywhere).
    As a business centre, it's overloaded, but buzzing.
    Some of the best colleges in the country call it home so it's got it's academic value too.
    The arts scene is alive there too.

Yeah, it's ok :D wouldn't want to live there though, too much going on.

Guinness Power Station should be converted into a modern art gallery also.

• Advertisement

Yixian wonderful post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Dublin is a fantastic city. There is very little that you cant do here. It cant claim to be perfect. What city can?

If you take a simple example. How many European capital cities have beaches within easy driving distance.

The only downside is that good summer weather is not guaranteed. I believe it to be superior to all major British Cities (excl London)

The only thing British Cities have on Dublin is a stronger professional football set up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its a ****hole, and this is coming from someone who is currently living in Limerick.
    Sorry guys but there is a long way to go before anything in Ireland aside from the beer can be considered world class.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Dublin is a fantastic city. There is very little that you cant do here. It cant claim to be perfect. What city can?

If you take a simple example. How many European capital cities have beaches within easy driving distance.

The only downside is that good summer weather is not guaranteed. I believe it to be superior to all major British Cities (excl London)

The only thing British Cities have on Dublin is a stronger professional football set up

It rains more in London but Dublin has less overall sun imo.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Sorry guys but there is a long way to go before anything in Ireland aside from the beer can be considered world class.

A come on, learn something about your country, will you? Learn something about Ireland if it's not your country and you are living here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

lightening wrote: »
    or even do the booze tours or walking tours
    Where are these booze tours you speak of?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

However Dublin is a far cleaner, more attractive city that makes much better use of it's river with less crime and the beautiful Phoenix Park.
    How exactly does dublin make more use of its river? because it has more bridge per mile going over it???? all i can think of dublin "using" its river is that viking splash tour? Ive never seen anything else going on there! however london there are all variety of boats sailing around!
    True dublin has phoenix park but are you forgetting london has quite a few pretty good parks itself hyde park for example!!! Much easier to get to by hpoing on the tube than the phoenix park as well

adamski8 wrote: »
    How exactly does dublin make more use of its river? because it has more bridge per mile going over it???? all i can think of dublin "using" its river is that viking splash tour? Ive never seen anything else going on there! however london there are all variety of boats sailing around!
    True dublin has phoenix park but are you forgetting london has quite a few pretty good parks itself hyde park for example!!! Much easier to get to by hpoing on the tube than the phoenix park as well

Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't, there is the Liffey swim every year, I have sailed on the river, I have canoed and rowed on the river, used to train on the river every second night. There are about four East Coast Skiff clubs using it,the biggest ones are St. Pats and Stella Maris. There are lots of river rowing teams on the upper river, Garda club, Neptune, The Commercial club, Trinity.... Aside from the Viking spash tour, there is the liffey boat tours. Plenty of well established canoe clubs above Island bridge weir too... Dublins parks are amazing, there are plenty of gems, hidden parks dotted throughout the city.

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »

I hope someday that we can get domestic attendances like they have in Norway and Scotland. It would be so great.

Advertisement