Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider Dublin a world class city?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

lightening wrote: »
    Just because you don't use it doesn't mean others don't, there is the Liffey swim every year, I have sailed on the river, I have canoed and rowed on the river, used to train on the river every second night. There are about four East Coast Skiff clubs using it,the biggest ones are St. Pats and Stella Maris. There are lots of river rowing teams on the upper river, Garda club, Neptune, The Commercial club, Trinity.... Aside from the Viking spash tour, there is the liffey boat tours. Plenty of well established canoe clubs above Island bridge weir too... Dublins parks are amazing, there are plenty of gems, hidden parks dotted throughout the city.
    ok point taken about the river but i actually was wondering what does go on in the river because ive never seen any activily as a resident in dublin, whereas in london i see plently of activity. Also I think some of your activities dont count(not sure) as you said upper river! doubt that counts as the city. I wasnt saying there was zero activity but the poster i quoted said dublin uses it river more!!!! i still dont believe this! Even if I had done all the activities you mentioned im sure more goes on in london!
    Also I think your being super defensive about dublins parks, i never said dublin doesnt have nice park, the poster i quoted was talking like london had none!

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

darkman2 wrote: »
    Is Dublin "world class" - no, not yet. When the Metro and Interconnector are done then it will be nearly there.

But I have to take issue with the country people who consistently berate the Capital - which is the only real city on the Island - don't forget. I don't know whether your just a bit dim or whatever down the country (your voting patterns would suggest you are!) but tourists, funnily enough, do not agree with your pathetic trolling attacks. And don't get me started on posters from that village called Cork. Dublin keeps this country going. We actually subsidise the whole country in the same way London does the UK. I note alot of people in Birmingham and Manchester have the same begrudgery toward London as is displayed in Ireland when the culchies are criticising Dublin.

Dublin is a big place. The center is relatively small (but in actual fact the center is bigger then both Manchester and Birmingham city centers despite it being compact) - but go out to the suburbs and there are plenty of beautiful areas and things to see and do and nice little jewels in there. Kiliney, Malahide, Howth, Dundrum, Portmarnock, Bray, Castleknock, Ballsbridge, Rathfarnham etc etc all have their individual charms and charactistics. The scenery on the Southside near the mountains is stunning. You have places like Dollymount which most Capital cities in Europe can only dream of posistion like Dublin's - on a beautiful bay and by the mountains. Look at Howth. Look at the beautiful Georgian achitecture. The Stadia - both Croke Park and soon the Aviva - world class. The museums are absolutely terrific - the things the toursists actually bother their arse going to see unlike the constant begrudgers. We have a tram, the dart, a reasonably good bus system, suburban rail, too many taxi's, a probrable metro coming and a possible interconnector. We will get our tall buildings sooner rather then later. We will have a much improved international airport soon. Our roads are getting much better by the year and I would not class our roads being "bad" anymore. The motorways are great. Dublin is not to everyones taste but most people in Dublin love Dublin and there is much to be proud of about the city for all it's problems. What city does not have problems!? Dublin has so much potential and it is a cracking, very cosmopolitan city, so all you begrudgers go sit on a tack.

Well said, brought a tear to my eye, totally agree with all of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

adamski8 wrote: »
    Also I think some of your activities dont count(not sure) as you said upper river! doubt that counts as the city. I wasnt saying there was zero activity but the poster i quoted said dublin uses it river more!!!! i still dont believe this! Even if I had done all the activities you mentioned im sure more goes on in london!

Island bridge is very near Collins Barracks, where the memorial park is, another stunning park. By river, Palmerstown Weir, the sluice gates and Lucan weir are really close to the city, especially if the ESB dumps lots of water from Pollaphuca! I don't know about London really, I have only been there once or twice, didn't notice too much non commercial activity on the river. People never really look in to the river though, I spent a year training from the quays where the viking ship used to be (not sure if it's still there). We rowed in and out of town every day and nobody ever noticed us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Ibrahimovic91

dSTAR wrote: »
    In terms of culture, desirability as a tourist destination, infrastructure, financial hub, educated population, sport/leisure and so on.

Discuss.

Culture-Debateable, although can a culture be world class? Not in my opinion.

Desirability as a tourist attraction-Ireland didn't really get involved so much with European History in general, I mean the Romans didn't even bother coming here. But what i makes up for in monuments and that kind of history it has some spectacular spots so perhaps.

Infrastructure-No

Financial Hub-errr not world class.

Educated Population-Ehh its a tough one, I'll say yes.

Sport/Leisure-League of Ireland(my fave), the home of the European Rugby champions Leinster, home of GAA, tennis courts plentiful...yes I think so if people open their mind.

Just my opinion on the individual things the OP named.

Advertisement