Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can anyone recommend a good arcade stick?

• 20-02-2009 10:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

After getting my ass handed to me on a plate last night on SF2 on XBox live I'm going down the 'It's the controllers fault' road.

Anyone know what's a good arcade stick?

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

The controllers not that bad once you get used to it!

But a good alternative is the Hori ex2 - easily bought from ebay (where I got mine)

Alot of forums talk about www.arcadeinabox.comlooks awesome but I have no experience of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Collecting my hori today also. Gets good reviews over on the capcom forums. The madcatz arcade stick appears to be junk though. Lots of forums reporting the same issue with the loose washer below the stick interfering with the pcb. No idea about the tournament verison. Seem impossible to get.

Hori EX2 is kick ass. Check Gamestop for it (although they are very limited. Dublin have 10 I've been told, whereas the north east (Balbriggan, Dundalk, Louth, etc.) only got 4 spread around (all of which are gone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Thanks for the advice guys.

Ill go for the Hori one.

Any ideas how much it'll cost in an Irish bricks and mortar shop?

Cheers
    M

45 euro in gamestop. Sold out in Limerick (they only got 1), and none in Game. I'm collecting mine down the country, hopefully this evening :)

• Advertisement

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Alot of forums talk about www.arcadeinabox.comlooks awesome but I have no experience of it!

I like. In fact as soon as I have the cash am going to order one. Of course I haven't play a street fighter game in ages so might be wasted on me.

Some advice needed though....is it better to go for concave or convex buttons. The blurb on the website says concave is handy for resting your fingers over the dip, while convex is best for sliding fingers for fast action. There is also the choice between Sanway or Seimitsu which are larger and more sensitive. Wonder which would be better for SF IV. Also button layout important. The standard layout look to close to my eyes. Thinking Curved Wide would be best. On the stick I defintely prefer the Sanwa ball style but is it better to go for square gate or octo gate ? So many questions :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Flaccus wrote: »
    45 euro in gamestop. Sold out in Limerick (they only got 1), and none in Game. I'm collecting mine down the country, hopefully this evening :)

is it an ex 2 or a pro arcade?

ex 2 as far as I know. white and green box.

think the arcade pro is pretty old. but there is a real arcade pro ex by hori, black box, and much more costly.

reviews here
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6204592/p-2.html
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6204592/index.html?sid=6204592&part=rss&subj=6204592

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

so, would people say the Hori Ex 2 is teh best you can get?

is this one €45 in gamestop?

i know they have none in stock but would be willing to wait

it's not the best you can get...for that you'd probably need to be looking at something like the madcatzh tournament stick which is impossible to get or order one of the arcade in a box's (up to $300), which I intend to do in a month or two. However the ex2 for 45 euro in gamestop is still a good stick from the reviews I have read and from what Sagat06 said. Look at the links I posted from gamespot - they say it's the oldest of the sticks they looked at (hori pro ex and the new madcatz sticks are newer) but still scored well and only the small cabinet size was a negative. Sounds like its worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

sorry, thats what i meant, anything else would probably be over €100 or so, correct?

cheers, reading those links now

As best i know, the Hori EX2 sticks are a one-time thing in Gamestop, and were very limited in their distribution.

Drogheda got 3, Dundalk got one, Dublin have 10 in total. I'm not sure of the other locations or quantities. In Drogheda you had to purchase the SFIV Collector's Edition in order to get the joystick (came to €150 for both). Then we asked the guy in Drogheda about the Dundalk store. Long story short, guy in Gamestop got them to hold it.

Headed to Dundalk and got their only one, it scanned at €55. None of the sticks were on the shleves, though. Had to ask for them at the counter.

eBay's prices are a little ridiculous at the moment, so i'd probably wait a little while until SFIV hype has died down and people don't care as much anymore (when you'll most likely see a fair few people who rushed out and bought the stick, getting rid of it due to lack of needing it).

I used the whorey stick (i'm hilarious :rolleyes:) today for a little while, but haven't had much of a chance to use it. Got about an hour out of it. Really like it. A little awkward to get used to it (having used a joypad for so long) but it's great fun, definitely recommend it.

Couldn't resist.

Ordered this from Arcade In A Box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTk596eOd0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,619 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Couldn't resist.

Ordered this from Arcade In A Box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZTk596eOd0

wow

nice buy

any chance of customs charge?

I really hope not but will find out in 9 weeks.

I went with the same colour scheme on the buttons in the youtube link I posted above as it matches the 360 gamepad layout. However I decided on the true arcade 360/ps3 custom instead of just 360 as you never know, I might buy a ps3 in the future and don't want to be limited to 1 console. Went for HAP concave buttons as opposed to the way more sensitive Samway or Seinitsu. Convex might have been better as they allow you to slide your fingers much easier across the buttons, but would prefer my fingers not to slip. I think curved wide layout would suit me best also for button spacing (big hands) so went for that option. Sanwa JLF Octo for the stick as I don't like the bat style (prefer a knob) and think octo gate will be more versatile than the Japanese square gate in the long run, although they say square gate is best for SF games. Went with black with chrome edges on the casing, and for artwork choose this style :
    http://www.arcadeinabox.com/postorder/artwork/Full_Curved-1_1.jpg
    You can't order Arcade in the box with SF IV or other copyright artwork anymore since Capcom asked them to stop producing them like this. Think this is ok without being over the top, plus it tells you what each button is for.

what puts me off buying one is when im playing games i sit back in my chair and play away

with a arcade stick ill have to get a table to put it on

I know what you mean.

I do my gaming in my bedroom now. Have a Sony 40Z4500 200HZ job setup on one of these :
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5270103/c_1/1%7Ccat_12160455%7CElectrical+accessories%7C12160456/Trail/searchtext%3ESTAND.htm

I sit about 4 feet back in a tub chair and use this laptop table (for gamepads) :
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6171469/Trail/searchtext%3ELAPTOP+STAND.htm

Should be ok for the fight stick hopefully.

I know what you mean.

I sit about 4 feet back in a tub chair and use this laptop table (for gamepads) :
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6171469/Trail/searchtext%3ELAPTOP+STAND.htm

Should be ok for the fight stick hopefully.

that table is a great idea

I might actually get a arcade stick now

could you report back,how you get on with the arcade stick on the table please

Will do. But a 9 week waiting list :(
    And right now I am total crap at SF IV with the dpad on the 360. I can't pull off half the moves. It's so frustrating. I guess I'll concentrate on my other games that I have to finish (Fear2,Fallout3,GTAIV etc..) till the arcade stick comes.

If anyone wants a Hori EX2 I was supposed to collect mine in Gamestop in Mallow today. They had the only 1 put away. So I guess anyone can go in there tomorrow and ask for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Get this stick.

Hori Real Arcade Pro. Ex

• Advertisement

Supposed to be a step above the Hori EX2 but I think gamespot didn't like it much in their review.

Advertisement