Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Blackburn Match Thread 21st Feb 09

• 20-02-2009 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭

b_12.png Man Utd v Blackburn b_22.png

Kick off at 17.30 live on Setanta.

No match day squads yet.

Rooney is obviously back in contention. Anderson still out. Neville and Brown missed Wednesday game with minor niggles while O'Shea went off with an injury so we will have to wait for the press conference before knowing who is available for the right back spot.

VDS
    Rafeal--Rio---Vidic--Evra
    Carrick--Giggs---
    Ronadlo
    Nani
    ----Rooney--Berbatov--

Whoever is going to be playing right back against Inter (one from O'Shea, Neville, and Brown) could come in instead of Rafeal. I can't see Rafeal playing it so it depends on injuries, and fitness wether whoever is going to be playing can manage the game tomorrow and Tuesday.

The same for Brown, or Evans replacing Vidic. They may come in tomorrow to get some match sharpness in, or the may be given a rest until Tuesday.

Center of the park is a re hardest place to pick at the moment. Don't expect Scholes to play after playing midweek, and Giggs won't play if he is going to be involved against Inter. I'm going for Giggs tomorrow and Fletcher on Tuesday.

Park will play Tuesday, and played midweek, so I expect Nani to get a chance tomorrow.

Rooney will start ahead of Tevez to try get that combination working again before the Inter match. Rooney probably won't get the full game so I expect Tevez to get 20 minutes tomorrow.

Any Blackburn fans want to fill us in on their team news?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rooney's back :) But he won't start. I'd say he'll come on at half time, and then play the full Inter game.

Not sure who he'll play. I'd expect to see the back 4 line up against Blackburn be the back 4 who line up against Inter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm gonna say:

...........vds

O'Shea..Evans..Rio..Evra

Ronaldo.Giggs..Carrick..Park

.........Rooney..Tevez

Maybe Fletcher in for Carrick.

Selecting Park cause I don't think he will start against Inter (I reckon the midfield and frontline will be Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, with Rooney in the more defensive left side position and Berbs as the leading forward, Fletch covering Ronaldo on the right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think that formation might be bang on the button for Inter. I wonder is it possible we could also see something like

Carrick
    Scholes
    ---Fletcher
    Berbatov
    Rooney--
    Ronaldo

Nonetheless, I think, although it's harsh on Park, we'd be unlikely to see him start against Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Should we skip this match thread and just start a United v Inter one. :)

EDIT: Just to add if its a choice between Park and Fletcher on the right side. I would go for park.

Should we skip this match thread and just start a United v Inter one. :)

Based on excitement levels.....YES:D

In fairness though, the team Fergie has in mind for Inter will have a direct impact on who he selects tomorrow.

As regards Park vs Fletch - if Ronnie is up front I would play Park on the right, but I think that would be more attacking than fergie will go - i reckon it will be Ronnie on the right with Fletch on the right side of central midfield covering defensively for Ronnies runs forward. Could aslo see Ronnie deployed on the left to try and push Maicon back up the pitch as he would be Inter's main source of width on the right.

• Advertisement

Also for the Inter match. I think Fergie may trust Evra to look after the left side. I can see us going 4-4-2. With Ronaldo on the left, and Park on the right. Two in the middle, two up top. If it ain't working he can change it but thats how I want him to start. Evra is good enough to cover for Ronaldo.

Also for the Inter match. I think Fergie may trust Evra to look after the left side. I can see us going 4-4-2. With Ronaldo on the left, and Park on the right. Two in the middle, two up top. If it ain't working he can change it but thats how I want him to start. Evra is good enough to cover for Ronaldo.

Also, Ronnie and Evra on the left is a great attacking combo and would (hopefully) either stop the forward runs of Maicon, or leave him massively exposed when he does come forward.

Back to Blackburn....

Not sure what Fergie is going to do - up front will be interesting - to see if Rooney starts which would be an indication he is ready for Inter (and his lung busting Euro performances) Might see Berbs rested for this one, giving Tevez some more game time. I'd almost say Ronnie will get a rest but that just isn't going to happen!

When is the last time Ronadlo didn't start a match though?

Derby in the CC even then he played 32 minutes. Still though play him tomorrow and Tuesday give him next weekend off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

looking forward to this match

im going agree with Mitch

...........vds

O'Shea..Evans..Rio..Evra

Ronaldo.Giggs..Carrick..Park

.........Rooney..Tevez

hopefully utd will finish of blackburn quickly,

When is the last time Ronadlo didn't start a match though?

Derby in the CC even then he played 32 minutes. Still though play him tomorrow and Tuesday give him next weekend off.

Ronaldo won't have next weekend off.

I can't see any way Ronaldo won't start the CC final, he will be desperate to play in the CC Final imo.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo won't have next weekend off.

I can't see any way Ronaldo won't start the CC final, he will be desperate to play in the CC Final imo.

I really cant see Fergie bringing those kind of players into the game. I don't want him too either. The CC will be great to win if we win it with the fringe players that have got us there. Otherwise its a fairly meaningless trophy to me (unless its put beside a couple of others).

Ronnie can still play though.

Foster

Raf..Evans..Vidic..O'Shea

Ronaldo..Gibson..Fletcher..Nani

.......Welbeck..Tevez.

That team still plays Welbeck, Tevez, Evans, Raf, Nani, Gibson, Foster (or PIG) and O'Shea. All players who have played a big part in the CC campaign. If Anderson was fit him might oust Ronnie (and Gibson playing right...ggggrrrr) on the merits of the CC campaign, but as far as I know he won't be ready for the Final so Ronaldo would take his place in the starting lineup with Gibson playing his prefered central midfield role. You could also consider Fabio and Neville in for O'Shea and Vidic respecitvely, though i think O'Shea deserves the spot at LB.

Ronnie can still play though.

Foster

Raf..Evans..Vidic..O'Shea

Ronaldo..Gibson..Fletcher..Nani

.......Welbeck..Tevez.

That team still plays Welbeck, Tevez, Evans, Raf, Nani, Gibson, Foster (or PIG) and O'Shea. All players who have played a big part in the CC campaign. If Anderson was fit him might oust Ronnie (and Gibson playing right...ggggrrrr) on the merits of the CC campaign, but as far as I know he won't be ready for the Final so Ronaldo would take his place in the starting lineup with Gibson playing his prefered central midfield role. You could also consider Fabio and Neville in for O'Shea and Vidic respecitvely, though i think O'Shea deserves the spot at LB.

I just don't understand why you would want to play him in it?

I pretty much agree with your entire team there apart from Ronaldo. Depending on if he is involved against Inter I see Giggs coming into that team and playing up top and Wellbeck out right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Any chance Tosic will be in the squad? I heard Welbeck as dropped to the reserves...

VDS
    Rafael
    Brown
    Rio
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Carrick
    Park
    Rooney
    Tevez

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Any chance Tosic will be in the squad? I heard Welbeck as dropped to the reserves...

VDS
    Rafael
    Brown
    Rio
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Giggs
    Carrick
    Park
    Rooney
    Tevez

Tosic I doubt it. Wellbeck wasn't dropped to the reserves. He is a reserve team player who was brought up while Rooney was out. Rooney back = Wellbeck Reserves.

By the way Rooney starts tomorrow. Link
    Sir Alex has confirmed he'll hand Wayne Rooney his first start for five weeks when Blackburn Rovers visit Old Trafford on Saturday.

Rooney, who scored in midweek after coming off the bench against Fulham, missed the previous seven matches after tearing a hamstring in the Reds' win over Wigan Athletic on 14 January.

Now, however, the boss says the Englishman is fit and raring to go.

"Wayne will play," Sir Alex told media at his pre-match press conference. "He has to start so we can see how far advanced he is, but we think he's fine."

Elsewhere, John O'Shea's swollen heel, sustained on Wednesday night, means the Irishman is a "slight doubt".

"Other than that, it's the same squad," Sir Alex confirmed.

Victory against Blackburn will send United eight points clear of title rivals Liverpool, who play on Sunday

I just don't understand why you would want to play him in it?

I pretty much agree with your entire team there apart from Ronaldo. Depending on if he is involved against Inter I see Giggs coming into that team and playing up top and Wellbeck out right.

Its not about wanting him to play - it is simply the side i think will play. Ronaldo won't want to be left out of the Final. No chance. And given there is a place in the team for him, without screwing someone else over, I think he will get a place in the starting line up.

Ronaldo started against Boro.
    Didn't play in the QPR game.
    Didn't play against Rovers
    Came on in the second half of the Derby first leg.
    Came on in the second half of the Derby second let.

It is not like he has had no involvement in the competition up to this point.

Ronaldo plays every game he is fit to play (basically the case) and he will be fit for the final, and won't want to miss it. If he can be selected for the first match of the competition, no reason he can't and shouldn't be selected for the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Blackburn (from): Robinson, Bunn, Ooijer, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Warnock, Givet, Olsson, Dunn, Villanueva, Grella, Tugay, Andrews, Diouf, Pedersen, Treacy, Mokoena, Haworth, Santa Cruz, McCarthy, Roberts.

Danny Simpson ineligible to play

NO United squad yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I really cant see Fergie bringing those kind of players into the game. I don't want him too either. The CC will be great to win if we win it with the fringe players that have got us there. Otherwise its a fairly meaningless trophy to me (unless its put beside a couple of others).

I think he deserves a place in the side to be honest. He has three appearances and two goals in the competetion so I think he has played his part in helping the team to the final. Giggs has also put in three appearances and chipped in a goal. If he only had the one appearance then I would totally agree.

Ronaldo started against Boro. coming back from injury, needed game time.
    Didn't play in the QPR game.
    Didn't play against Rovers
    Came on in the second half of the Derby first leg. we were losing
    Came on in the second half of the Derby second let. Brought on when the game was won to have a stroll and to try get a goal for confidence - Mike Phelan

Reasons for playing are not relevant - he played his part in the side getting to the final, it would not be unfair for him to start. Apart from that, I just don't see Ronaldo sitting out a competition final.

Regardless, we'll find out in 9 days if I am right or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I'm heading over to this game, hopefully it'll be a decent one.

Seats ain't bad either, front row, beside the dugout... the joys of a season ticket :D

roryc wrote: »
    I'm heading over to this game, hopefully it'll be a decent one.

Seats ain't bad either, front row, beside the dugout... the joys of a season ticket :D

are you one of those Indian looking guys? :)

haha nope, our seats are beside them though! Heres a pic of my bro at the game the other week... he's the non-indian one trying to join in with an Irish turban :D

indianguysot8.jpg

roryc wrote: »
    haha nope, our seats are beside them though! Heres a pic of my bro at the game the other week... he's the non-indian one trying to join in with an Irish turban :D

Superb.

are you one of those Indian looking guys? :)

they have great seats

ive seen them a couple of times in the mega store

they seem to be grand blokes

U know something, all of a sudden I find that clean sheet record to be important to me. At this stage its come so far, lets go that little bit more.

Then we only need the one goal too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Headshot wrote: »
    they have great seats

ive seen them a couple of times in the mega store

they seem to be grand blokes

It's mad that they own Man City, and yet they're at United matches every week :) That's mad that is

They need to have seats right beside the dugout so they can keep trying to steal Ronaldo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think United will win this by two goals. I have a feeling the clean sheet record may go in this one but the three points are the main thing.

• Advertisement

I predict 2 goals by Rooney

just have that feeling

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I can see a united victory, without them really breaking a sweat, 1 or 2 nil to united

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Blackburn fan here and we have two players out for the season namely Steven Reid and Brett Emerton. Besides that we have no injuries to worry about.
    I don't know how big Sam will approach this game but I'd personally like to see this

......................Robinson....................

......Ooijer.....Givet.......Nelsen....Warnock
    .........................Grella.....................
    .............Andrews............Dunn.............
    ...Diouf.....................................Gamst
    ......................Santa Cruz...................

Brown, Khizanishvilli, Simpson, Tugay, Villanueva, Benni, Roberts
    We are realistically looking for a point at best here. We cannot let United run riot in midfield and as such I think this is the best lineup.
    At the back Givet has to come in imo after the shocking display by Khiz in the Coventry game.
    I don't think we can let United control midfield and as such putting both Andrews and Dunny in front of Grella is a good idea imo. You are guaranteed that they will work their socks off and thats what you need against a high tempo team like United. We'll have Tugay to replace one of them. Diouf is another hard worker, and thats the reason for his inclusion. Gamst will help out Warnock and also poses a threat going forward. I put RSC up front but I wouldn't disagree with Roberts there on his own either. If only we could get Morten Gamst Pederson back to his very best he could exploit the defensive weakness in that United side down the left side.

Edit to add, Samba is suspended for this game.

Any news on the team ?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Pig is in for VDS and Rafael starts along with Rooney

Rooney + Berbatov?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Utd Team

KUSZCZAK

RAFAEL
    RIO
    EVANS
    EVRA

RONALDO
    CARRICK
    SCHOLES
    NANI

ROONEY
    BERBS

Rooney + Berbatov?

Yeah, I think there are 5 changes in all. Evans starts too

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Pig is in for VDS and Rafael starts along with Rooney
    Well... There goes the clean sheet record anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I've a feeling we're gonna concede today for some reason, but it had to happen some time i guess!

My money is on 2-1 to Utd: Rooney and berbs with the goals

I've a feeling we're gonna concede today for some reason, but it had to happen some time i guess!

My money is on 2-1 to Utd: Rooney and berbs with the goals

So does Sir Alex;), that way then we can say that we lost the record when VDS wasnt in goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,594 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Surprised Vidic isnt starting, he has to miss the Inter match so I assumed he wouldnt be rested here, has he picked up an injury by any chance?

I think he just wants Rio and Evans to develop a better understanding together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

KevIRL wrote: »
    Surprised Vidic isnt starting, he has to miss the Inter match so I assumed he wouldnt be rested here, has he picked up an injury by any chance?

Probably game time for Evans is seen as more important.

I think he just wants Rio and Evans to develop a better understanding together

I'd say that's definitely the reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

gonna bet E10 on blackburn to pay for my night out!

i probably won't be going out tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Blackburn fan here and we have two players out for the season namely Steven Reid and Brett Emerton. Besides that we have no injuries to worry about.
    I don't know how big Sam will approach this game but I'd personally like to see this

......................Robinson....................

......Ooijer.....Givet.......Nelsen....Warnock
    .........................Grella.....................
    .............Andrews............Dunn.............
    ...Diouf.....................................Gamst
    ......................Santa Cruz...................

Brown, Khizanishvilli, Simpson, Tugay, Villanueva, Benni, Roberts
    We are realistically looking for a point at best here. We cannot let United run riot in midfield and as such I think this is the best lineup.
    At the back Givet has to come in imo after the shocking display by Khiz in the Coventry game.
    I don't think we can let United control midfield and as such putting both Andrews and Dunny in front of Grella is a good idea imo. You are guaranteed that they will work their socks off and thats what you need against a high tempo team like United. We'll have Tugay to replace one of them. Diouf is another hard worker, and thats the reason for his inclusion. Gamst will help out Warnock and also poses a threat going forward. I put RSC up front but I wouldn't disagree with Roberts there on his own either. If only we could get Morten Gamst Pederson back to his very best he could exploit the defensive weakness in that United side down the left side.

Edit to add, Samba is suspended for this game.

Jebus, you got the team bang on, well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    Well... There goes the clean sheet record anyway.
    How...the record is VDS not a mix of the 2 keepers! If they conceed today VDS still has his record going!

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Utd Team

KUSZCZAK

RAFAEL
    RIO
    EVANS
    EVRA

RONALDO
    CARRICK
    SCHOLES
    NANI

ROONEY
    BERBS
    very happy with that line except for pig of course

this could be the team for inter game excluding nani and pig

Headshot wrote: »
    very happy with that line except for pig of course

this could be the team for inter game excluding nani and pig

I can't see Scholes playing two games ina row tbh. Maybe Giggs or Fletch in their ahead of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement