Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd v Blackburn Match Thread 21st Feb 09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

coco06 wrote: »
    god thats some diagnosis! ye think he would want to spend this time with his family! :p

Lol, im wondering as to whether he will recover in time to be fresh enough to start.. his fitness still seems a bit off..

Great last defending by Vidic there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Vidic showed what we were missing during most of the game in the air in stoppage time. He's going to be a huge loss for Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Fair play to Blackburn.

So refreshing to see a team coming out of their own half every now and then at OT

also a game like this was just what we needed before heading to Inter.

8pts clear, music to my ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Two points gifted by the referee there.

How so? If the ref had of gone the opposite way on both contentious decisions and IF Blackburn had scored the penalty as a result, the United would have won 3-2 with the perfectly valid goal correctly allowed.

Agreed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Fair play to Blackburn.

So refreshing to see a team coming out of their own half every now and then at OT

+1, it was an unusual but welcome approach from an Allardyce team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Draupnir wrote: »
    How so? If the ref had of gone the opposite way on both contentious decisions and IF Blackburn had scored the penalty as a result, the United would have won 3-2 with the perfectly valid goal correctly allowed.

Agreed?

Afraid not. United would have been down to 9 men, with Ronaldo also sent-off, and it's not a stretch to imagine that Blackburn would have gone on to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Massive performance by Blackburn and maybe even slightly unlucky not to get something out of the game. You wouldn't think there were in the relegation zone after that performance. While Utd had more of the possession it was probably Kuszczak who was the slightly busier keeper. Anyone else think Utd looked a little fatigued in the second half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Guys so whats the final score? Match finished?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Draupnir wrote: »

Agreed?

Well If Evans goal was given it would have been 2-1, but if Ronaldo was sent off he wouldn't have been on to score the goal and if the Peno was given Utd would have been down to 9 men so would have done well to get a win.

But we'll never know as Webb decided he wanted all the headlines tomorrow, hopefully he will get dropped down the pecking order after that performance and won't get a big game for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i hate when refs allow previous obvious mistakes to skew their reffing for the rest of the game. Happens so so often and at times is nothing short of blatent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I presume Ronaldo will get a one match ban for his little kick out a la SWP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

About Ronaldo's bit of a kick.........

Burley wouldn't stop banging on about it after it happened on Setanta but did he not notice Dunn's bit of a challenge was about 3 weeks late?
    I'm not saying Ronaldo should be having kicks but if you're going to give a foul you give it for the first one committed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Phew! Not of one of our best performances, but a winning start to the week. Any news on Evans?

the way things are in the EPL, presuming anything is fairly dodgy! If Bosingwa cant be punished in any way for the most blatent thing ever, then anythings possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well he got away with 2 of them already so I wouldn't hold my breath

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    About Ronaldo's bit of a kick.........

Burley wouldn't stop banging on about it after it happened on Setanta but did he not notice Dunn's bit of a challenge was about 3 weeks late?
    I'm not saying Ronaldo should be having kicks but if you're going to give a foul you give it for the first one committed

proper decision would have been free to Utd, both players getting cards. yellow for Dunn, red for Ronaldo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Afraid not. United would have been down to 9 men, with Ronaldo also sent-off, and it's not a stretch to imagine that Blackburn would have gone on to win.
    I lol'ed :pac:
    ~Rebel~ wrote: »
    i hate when refs allow previous obvious mistakes to skew their reffing for the rest of the game. Happens so so often and at times is nothing short of blatent.
    We need to teach the rugby refs the rules of football and then lure them over to the beautiful game with obscene and grotesque amounts of money. :)

Reports in that Evans went off injured..

D.S. wrote: »
    Reports in that Evans went off injured..

Aye lets hope its nothing serious for Tuesday night

Whats the story on Brown does anyone know? if Evans is out then it'd be Neville or O'Shea at centre half

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Fergie just said that he is awaiting on JOS for Tuesday night. Evans probably wont make it and vidic and brown are also out

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Fergie just said that he is awaiting on JOS for Tuesday night. Evans probably wont make it and vidic and brown are also out

That is not good at all.. Leaves Ferdinand and G Neville as our only central defenders...Neville is not best in that position but can do a job...

Here's a question for you.

Let's say Evans doesn't make Inter. Would you rather JOS in the middle and Gaz on the right or vice versa?

Here's a question for you.

Let's say Evans doesn't make Inter. Would you rather JOS in the middle and Gaz on the right or vice versa?

Gaz in the centre, Rafael on the right and JOS in the stands :pac:

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Gaz in the centre, Rafael on the right and JOS in the stands :pac:

Too big a game for Rafa methinks. Today he couldn't handle Petersen. Gaz in the centre and O'Shea on the right for me..

D.S. wrote: »
    Too big a game for Rafa methinks. Today he couldn't handle Petersen. Gaz in the centre and O'Shea on the right for me..

Yeah hear what you're saying about wee Rafa, was meant have been bad against Derby too last weekend but didn't see the game so I couldn't say. Never assured about John anywhere in defence though for the big games, wouldn't be overly confident in Gary mind you but he'll have to play if Evans is out.

This should probably be in the Inter thread too...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Hey guys, any link to highlights today? Stuck in work so missed the game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

didnt fergie say gaz isnt available either! or its not looking likely that he will be?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

killwill wrote: »
    Hey guys, any link to highlights today? Stuck in work so missed the game!

Here are the goals:

1-0 Rooney
    1-1 Santa Cruz
    2-1 Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Phew

that was close

Utd really started off well,crisp passing and closing down quickly,but Blackburn started to really come into the game.
    and then the **** up by Nani (who was very average today) and pig should have done alot better.

I find it amazing that pig is still at utd tbh,never showed any promise in the first team,he's ****ing useless

What is the story with Ronaldo these days with the kicking out and ****ing diving,really gone of the rails.

I taught berba played great today,looked very dangerous and have some fab touches (A+)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

No. The ref saw it and decided a quiet word was all that was needed...which I'd agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

gods sake. utd are deffo gonna win the league now
    ronaldo's goal was brilliant. pity for us pool fans that the ref f**ked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,455 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Terrible goal keeping from Tommy K for the Rovers goal - had no reason to go to ground as soon as he did. If VDS had been in goals we would not have conceded that, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

didnt fergie say gaz isnt available either! or its not looking likely that he will be?!

Yeah Im sure Fergie said Neville wont make Tuesday night but he will be back for the Cup Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Vital 3 points today really ground out the victory and thankfully had abit of luck along the way. Thought Berbatov had a good game pity he didnt finish that header though. Cant seem to find any interview from Fergie after the game, anyone have any links?

EDIT: Found it. :P
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4956852,00.html

Vital 3 points today really ground out the victory and thankfully had abit of luck along the way. Thought Berbatov had a good game pity he didnt finish that header though. Cant seem to find any interview from Fergie after the game, anyone have any links?

EDIT: Found it. :P
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4956852,00.html

This one too

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1098153_fergie_we_werent_at_our_best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The boy Pedersen dived," said Ferguson.

"There is no question about that at all. Yet Cristiano Ronaldo gets booked for the same thing and Pedersen doesn't.

"Both cases were the same. You have to give either a penalty or a yellow card."

Santa Cruz's goal was the first United have conceded in the league in 1,334 minutes, and Ferguson confesses his players could have defended better following a mix-up between Nani and Paul Scholes.

I wouldnt call it a dive,yes Pedersen went down to easy imo but it was a peno
    at least Fergie admits that Ronaldo dived,hopefully he'll have a word or a spare boot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Headshot wrote: »
    I wouldnt call it a dive,yes Pedersen went down to easy imo but it was a peno
    at least Fergie admits that Ronaldo dived,hopefully he'll have a word or a spare boot
    Yeah, I agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

We were unlucky today, hit the post, clear penalty not given and Ronaldo scores a free kick and doesn't get sent off for kicking out.

I know United scored a perfectly good goal that was disallowed. Unusual for that to happen at OT.

I'm personally delighted with the Rovers performance today. We are in bother due to having a bad manager but to breach that United defence and feel unlucky not to have gotten a point out of it can only lead to the Rover's players becoming more confident and we need that right now.

Roque Santa Cruz has been suffering with injuries all year and has only recently returned to full fitness, I think everybody would agree that the showed a lot of class today.

Anyways it was proved yet again today how important Vidic is to the United team and I think you can expect to concede plenty against Inter during the week. That defence is not nearly good enough. I predicted the line up for us before the game and I also mentioned that United appear very weak down the left(uniteds right), that proved to be the case again today.

Overall I didn't expect us to get any points from the game but now I feel like we should have left with one.

There are plenty of ifs and buts in every game but the one thing that irks me is how many times Ronaldo gets away with kicking out at other players. I hope he gets a ban for this the same way Shaun Wright-Phillips did recenlty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Thats a bit risky by Fergie to outright say he dived, isn't it?

Didn't Jose Mourinho say Andy Johnson dives in a post match press conference, but was later forced to retract it because Everton threatened legal action?

Anyway, it likes like he'll be forced to start Rafael then. Evra on the left and Rio and Josh in the centre.

Even if Gaz was fit, to answer the poster above, i'd definitely still go for O'Shea in the middle. Inter have a lot of aerial power and O'Sheas has far greater height and presence than Neville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ronaldo should have been sent off for kicking out. But its the refs own fault that he does it, every ****ing game he gets no protection whatsoever, everybody consistantly fouls him and unsurprisingly he gets pissed off that defenders are seemingly allowed to kick him at least 2 or 3 times before a yellow is given. Thats why refs dont send him off, because they'd then have to deal with the ****e of why they didnt give the defenders yellows before.

Anyway, good win, annoyed about the Evans goal, but these things go like this (although I'm sure some people will ignore this and add this game to the list of United games won by the ref, the amount of goals we get disallowed is unreal). League winning performance, no right to win that game, but Ronnie finally stepped up. Great to see. Inter should be interesting.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I know United scored a perfectly good goal that was disallowed. Unusual for that to happen at OT.

It has happened an awful lot this season. 2 in midweek against Fulham and 2 against Chelsea come to mind immediately IIRC

I'm sure there's more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

It has happened an awful lot this season. 2 in midweek against Fulham and 2 against Chelsea come to mind immediately IIRC

I'm sure there's more
    I cant remember them exactly, but I'm pretty sure the two against Fulham were clear offsides?

That Ref had a shocker yesterday. Bottled it big style

ITT-Pat wrote: »
    I cant remember them exactly, but I'm pretty sure the two against Fulham were clear offsides?
    Well I was at the match and haven't seen highlights or anything. From where I was sitting they looked like legitimate goals, but as I say, I didn't have the benefit of a replay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sweet, 8 points clear and it's all that matters.

• Advertisement

Well I was at the match and haven't seen highlights or anything. From where I was sitting they looked like legitimate goals, but as I say, I didn't have the benefit of a replay
    Yeah from where you were sitting with your goggles on more like. And what about two against Chelsea?

I remember the controversial corner which was negated by the goal being scored from the same corner kick when it was taken again, I don't remember another goal disallowed. Unless it was a clear offside also.

Having just looked at the highlights again of yesterdays game it's clear to me now that Ronaldo prevented Ryan Nelsen from jumping for the ball. I didn't think he did until I seen the highlights.

Looking back on it now, we were robbed. We should have had a penalty at the end of the game.

More importantly Ronaldo should not have been on the pitch to take that free kick. I mean he is clearly beaten to the ball by Dunny and he just kicks out at him for no reason whatsoever. There is no excuse for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldo should have been sent off for kicking out. But its the refs own fault that he does it, every ****ing game he gets no protection whatsoever, everybody consistantly fouls him and unsurprisingly he gets pissed off that defenders are seemingly allowed to kick him at least 2 or 3 times before a yellow is given. Thats why refs dont send him off.

Anyway, good win, annoyed about the Evans goal, but these things go like this (although I'm sure some people will ignore this and add this game to the list of United games won by the ref, the amount of goals we get disallowed is unreal). League winning performance, no right to win that game, but Ronnie finally stepped up. Great to see. Inter should be interesting.
    RasTa wrote: »
    Sweet, 8 points clear and it's all that matters.

First thing first. You're right Ronaldo should have been sent off however to say its the refs fault that the "best player in the world" feels he must start kicking players cos he doesn't get protection is absolutely ridiculous. The man prob gets more protection than goalkeepers. Ronaldos problem is he feels everytime he loses the ball he must have been fouled cos its impossible for anyone to take the ball off him legitamately in his eyes. The man spends more time on his back than his feet and thats not the refs fault.

Watch back the Johnny Evans goal and watch as Ronaldo just gives nelsen a push in the pack that means nelsen cant get to the ball. I feel sorry for evans cos he did nothing wrong but there was a foul.

Finally after all these talking points Ronaldo should he be on the field to take the free, blackburn penalty, rafael sending off. Some united fan still pipes up with 8 points clear thats all that matters. Thats why ye are hated, instead of saying we got very lucky and got some help from the ref, he just says that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

More importantly Ronaldo should not have been on the pitch to take that free kick. I mean he is clearly beaten to the ball by Dunny and he just kicks out at him for no reason whatsoever. There is no excuse for that.

Get lost, your clutching at straws. We deserved the win, just about but it was deserved.
    Ronaldo gets kicked all over the place every game he plays in with much of it going unpunished (because of his ridiculous diving antics like yesterday dirty tackles on Ronaldo sometimes go unpunished)
    So for you to claim that you deserved more from the game just because of a silly little tap out of frustration is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Yeah from where you were sitting with your goggles on more like. And what about two against Chelsea?

I remember the controversial corner which was negated by the goal being scored from the same corner kick when it was taken again, I don't remember another goal disallowed. Unless it was a clear offside also.

I know it doesn't matter, but the other one was a Ronaldo goal that was ruled offside, when he was onside

deisedevil wrote: »
    Get lost, your clutching at straws. We deserved the win, just about but it was deserved.
    Ronaldo gets kicked all over the place every game he plays in with much of it going unpunished (because of his ridiculous diving antics like yesterday dirty tackles on Ronaldo sometimes go unpunished)
    So for you to claim that you deserved more from the game just because of a silly little tap out of frustration is laughable.
    Its a red card for most players. He deserves the same treatment as other players.
    I don't care what happens in other games to Ronaldo, I follow Blackburn Rovers and he should have been sent off yesterday. Kicking out at another player has no place in the game. Unfortunately(well I admire him for it) Dunny is not one of these guys that just goes down for no reason, he played on after it happened, if he had grabbed his leg after the kick Webb would have had no choice but to send him off.

He might be one of the best players in the world but he is also a totally dislikable character.

He cheats, he loses his temper and kicks at other players, he complains all the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement