Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

waterproof digital camera for less than 150 euro

• 20-02-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi can anyone recommend a cheap waterproof camera ? looking for something kinda small, i dont want to buy a casing for my slr as its just too bulky.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

Olympus do an everything proof one called the 750 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

The cheapest new waterproof camera I've seen was the "traveler" brand one in lidl (or was it Aldi?)

The two main brands for waterproof compact cameras (up until this month when the world and its mother brought out a waterproof camera) are Olympus (SW and now the tough range) and Pentax (Optio WP range). Olympus ones are shockproof and waterproof Pentax ones are waterproof. I have a pentax wp10 and it's held up fine surfing kayaking etc.

If I had to buy again I'd probably go for the Olympus, image quality is reported to be better and the build is more robust.

For your budget of 150 maybe look at picking up one of those second hand or a couple of models back (they both brought out updates to the cameras nearly every year it seems)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Nisio wrote: »
    The cheapest new waterproof camera I've seen was the "traveler" brand one in lidl (or was it Aldi?)

The two main brands for waterproof compact cameras (up until this month when the world and its mother brought out a waterproof camera) are Olympus (SW and now the tough range) and Pentax (Optio WP range). Olympus ones are shockproof and waterproof Pentax ones are waterproof. I have a pentax wp10 and it's held up fine surfing kayaking etc.

If I had to buy again I'd probably go for the Olympus, image quality is reported to be better and the build is more robust.

For your budget of 150 maybe look at picking up one of those second hand or a couple of models back (they both brought out updates to the cameras nearly every year it seems)

thanks for the advice, i just bought this online
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=oly_stylus850sw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bocha

ooh good choice - i want one. love to see some underwater pics you get from it. how much did you pay?

bocha wrote: »
    ooh good choice - i want one. love to see some underwater pics you get from it. how much did you pay?

there were some reconditioned ones going on ebay for £130, i got a new one for £149 on some other site...i couldnt find the camera anywhere in ireland. i just want something robust i can use in water (drunkely drop into a pint) and to have on a night out, i dont want to lose my good camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

It's childish I know....

...but it some craic to have a friend grab your (waterproof) camera out of your hand and drop it into someone elses pint on a 2 second timer :)

jon1981 wrote: »
    there were some reconditioned ones going on ebay for £130, i got a new one for £149 on some other site...i couldnt find the camera anywhere in ireland. i just want something robust i can use in water (drunkely drop into a pint) and to have on a night out, i dont want to lose my good camera.

let us know how you get on with it - i definitely want an underwater compact but am in no rush

bocha wrote: »
    let us know how you get on with it - i definitely want an underwater compact but am in no rush

will do...it will be fully tested in thailand in about 2 weeks :D

Nisio wrote: »
    It's childish I know....

...but it some craic to have a friend grab your (waterproof) camera out of your hand and drop it into someone elses pint on a 2 second timer :)

nice prank...may steal that one :pac:

jon1981 wrote: »
    will do...it will be fully tested in thailand in about 2 weeks :D

wow - great way to break her in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

If any else wants to do some experimenting underwater, most manufacturers sell waterproof bodies for the cameras. I have one for my cybershot, t is deadly and completely waterproof! I wont go trying it on my srl, the idea of that getting wet :eek:

Plus the casing usually is fairly cheap, especially for compacts, and a great way to start learning about it!

I love it!

(Nontheless, this might result in a combination of 2 expensive hobbies, photographing & diving, as a "victim" myself, I can say,t is a hard knock life :o)

sNarah wrote: »
    If any else wants to do some experimenting underwater, most manufacturers sell waterproof bodies for the cameras. I have one for my cybershot, t is deadly and completely waterproof! I wont go trying it on my srl, the idea of that getting wet :eek:

Plus the casing usually is fairly cheap, especially for compacts, and a great way to start learning about it!

I love it!

(Nontheless, this might result in a combination of 2 expensive hobbies, photographing & diving, as a "victim" myself, I can say,t is a hard knock life :o)

yeah was thinking of getting the housing for mine...buts its over 200 euro and its bulky as hell. i wanted to kill two birds, get something waterproof i can throw in the pocket and for night time shananigans! something i can afford to eh lose ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭paudie

If you do want a housing for an SLR you're looking at E1000+ at least.

But they're very reliable, as long as you take care of them.

paudie wrote: »

wow! ok then well i definitely wont be getting one of them! i must have read it wrong:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

paudie wrote: »

Oh god, at least! Nigel Moyter (Irish underwater photographer) says he's spend about 3000 yo yo's just for the body, add flash, add lights, add other stuff... T isnt cheap! But, then again, the results will be fantastic...

*starts daydreaming now about winning the lotto....*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41 kayakboy

I've had a Pentax Optio w20 for the last two years and I find it great, it's very robust and has taken lots great shots over the years. I would highly recommend it especially for outdoor sports. It is waterproof only to 3m - not great for real underwater shots but as a all-weather go anywhere sports camera it's a winner. I've also used one of the olympus waterproof cameras mentioned above while it also takes good shots its harder to use on a wet wintery irish day and is much more expensive.
    The latest version is the w60 its on ebay at about £180stg also saw a w30 @ £90+postage from hong kong.
    Most of the sports shots on my flickr are with the w20 http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayakboy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Canon have just announced a waterproof compact camera, the D10, not sure if it's within your budget....

www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021805canond10.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Finally tracked down the Canon (USA) press release, they're forecasting SRP of USD 330 for the D10 so it will be outside your (Eur 150) budget...

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/20090217_powershot.html

Advertisement