Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anvil! The Story of Anvil

• 20-02-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this really belongs in the movies forum instead, but I'll put it here anyway...

I went to see this movie last night as part of the Dublin Film Festival. Anvil are a Canadian Metal band who've been around since the late 70's/early 80's. Guitarist/Vocalist Lips & Drummer Robb Reiner have been friends since their teenage years & are the mainstays of the band.

Despite critical acclaim in their early days the band never made it big. Film maker Sascha Gervasi, who was a fan and roadie for the band in the early 80's (when he was a teenger) sought out the band a few years back wondering 'whatever happened to them' and upon finding that they were still recording & touring decided to make a documentary about them.

Some people have descirbed it as like Spinal Tap - to be honest, while there is an element of that about it at times this movie is very real & shows the human side of the music industry, which isn't particularly pleasant. But it also has bucket loads of positivity especially involving singer Lips who firmly believes in what he's doing & goes about it with huge enthusiasm.

A really enjoyable movie, definitely recommended.

Now, seeing as I've got the review bit out of the way here's the really cool bit. As part of the festival the band & director were to be in attendance. I expected this to be a Q&A session (which did happen), but as we entered the cinema we saw drums & amps set up!

Anvil did a mini gig after the screening, and what a gig - these guys know how to get a crowd going, Lips running up & down the aisles while playing his guitar, really getting into it & bringing the whole thing close to the people. Plus, they met people, talked with fans, signed autographs, had their photos taken...

A great night for all, I'm glad I was there :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Great! I can't wait to see the movie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Anywhere in Dublin showing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The movie won an award at last years Galway film fleadh. Excellent, don't miss it.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I read an interview with them in Kerrang this week, they didnt come across particularly well..............I shant bother checking them out.

(Not just because of the interview..............)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Interesting film, its not the the best documentary I have ever seen in this area, but certainly one of the better ones. The bands music is also classic and certainly something I can apprichate.

Although both the "Animals Need a Voice In Legislation" group and also Anvil Homes, who do doors and exteriors in the South Dublin area, are gonna be pissed by the contact they might recieve in the mistaken belief they have something to do with this band lol

http://anvilmetal.tk/ - This is their official website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

It sounds like a great night, especially with the whole after-show mini gig. What songs did they play?

Can't wait to see this film anyway. I presume it's going on general release soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I saw them play in dalymount back in the 80s with Motorhead, Black Sabbath etc. Great live show, playing the guitar with the vibrator and screaming through the pups.

They were quite well known back then. Im looking forward to seeing the film.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

It sounds like a great night, especially with the whole after-show mini gig. What songs did they play?

Can't wait to see this film anyway. I presume it's going on general release soon?

Thirteen, 666 and Metal on Metal. I don't know if it's getting a general release here, it is being released in the UK though.

peter1892 wrote: »
    Thirteen, 666 and Metal on Metal. I don't know if it's getting a general release here, it is being released in the UK though.

Deadly, sounds like you had a blast. I don't think I've ever heard the song Thirteen though.

I really, really hope it gets a general release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Deadly, sounds like you had a blast. I don't think I've ever heard the song Thirteen though.

I really, really hope it gets a general release.

Actually I got that title wrong, it's called 'This is Thirteen' and is the title track off their last album.

It was a blast! :D

peter1892 wrote: »
    Actually I got that title wrong, it's called 'This is Thirteen' and is the title track off their last album.

It was a blast! :D

Ah right, that probably explains why I've never heard of it, I'm only really familiar with their earlier stuff ie: Metal On Metal and Forged in Fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I saw Anvil live supporting Black Sabbath in Dalymount Park, about 82. Remember the guitarist playing a solo using a dildo instead of a pick.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

neidhart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭yamo

saw a poster in the IFI last night - think it's on in there in early March at some stage. well worth going to. it was a great movie and a great gig afterwards. they went drinking in Bruxelles until about 3am afterwards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jobrok1

They're playing a gig in Dublin on Sunday 14th June 2009

The Academy, 57 Middle Abbey Street, Dublin
    Doors 7.30pm
    Tickets €25.00 includes booking fee
    Onsale Friday 9.00am

Looks like they're taking advantage of their new found populatity with €25 tickets.

I'll probably be at it though :o

Advertisement