Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Not sure really, according to the weather its supposed to be ok on Sunday http://www.met.ie/forecasts/. All going well sub 2'35' would be nice

How did you get on in Nenagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MCOS wrote: »
    Not sure really, according to the weather its supposed to be ok on Sunday http://www.met.ie/forecasts/. All going well sub 2'35' would be nice

How did you get on in Nenagh?

I'll be expecting closer to 2:24 for you MCOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »

Spotted tunney's comment above and was wondering if there is a rule of thumb regarding calculating potential Olympic times based on Sprint results? I realise all courses vary significantly but figure people must have some sort of gauge or rule of thumb. Cheers.

Hows that now? The guy who finished 2nd in Nenagh observed that my splits were similar to his last year in duathlons. I'm about even on the swim with him but he leaves me for dust on the run. He did 2'30' and was on a road bike then too. For 2'24' (:eek:) I'd have to go very close to 40 off the bike

edit: pgibbo put it better... is there a rule of thumb?

Hows that now? The guy who finished 2nd in Nenagh observed that my splits were similar to his last year in duathlons. I'm about even on the swim with him but he leaves me for dust on the run. He did 2'30' and was on a road bike then too. For 2'24' (:eek:) I'd have to go very close to 40 off the bike

This is for Joey Hannon right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

It occurs to me that maybe we should split off some of these into a "Triathlon 2009" thread, rather than scare off newcomers with talks of sub 2'25' olympic times.!

Nenagh 2009

Tunney 1:01:09
    MCOS 1:06:47

Joey Hannon 2007
    Tunney 2:08:42

Joey is a fast run one its UL - its not short but the surface "gives alot back".

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Hi All....

Quick question

Is there a bike computer that i can buy that can give me fairly accurate information without costing a small fortune? is there one that you can use on a ordinary road bike i suppose its a hybrid really as i dont have a proper road or time trial bike? what do you guys use if anything?

This is for Joey Hannon right?

Yep
    tagoona wrote: »
    It occurs to me that maybe we should split off some of these into a "Triathlon 2009" thread, rather than scare off newcomers with talks of sub 2'25' olympic times.!

I think a central thread is better IMHO as I don't know about others but its nice to get to know the Tri community here amongst the Marathoners. I only lost my 'Novice' status 10 days ago, I think... or are you novice for your first season :) I see your point though tagoona, it may be a tough thread to jump into if there were a few experienced Ironmen and women (;)) bashing about talks of zillions of miles of this that and the other... The encouragement on this thread is great and exactly what I intended when I started it. Its nice too that some of the experienced guys are dipping in and out. Joey will be my 2nd Tri and first bash at the standard distance. The huge miles done by some on the 100 mile thread doesn't stop the newcomers there! Its all gravy baby ... just my 2c

Nenagh 2009

Tunney 1:01:09
    MCOS 1:06:47

Joey Hannon 2007
    Tunney 2:08:42

Joey is a fast run one its UL - its not short but the surface "gives alot back".

OK, so what about the 'rule of thumb'? Sprint to standard forecast, Nenagh was a short swim too and the Joey bike is 42k

• Advertisement

Hi All....

Quick question

Is there a bike computer that i can buy that can give me fairly accurate information without costing a small fortune? is there one that you can use on a ordinary road bike i suppose its a hybrid really as i dont have a proper road or time trial bike? what do you guys use if anything?

Hi findingfitness, welcome back how was the holidays?

I have this one its cheap and does the job, lots more on this site too. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Cateye_Micro_Wireless_Cycle_Computer/5360017918/

OK, so what about the 'rule of thumb'? Sprint to standard forecast, Nenagh was a short swim too and the Joey bike is 42k

We'll see on Sunday - but I'm predicting 2:24

No real rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Cheers MCOS

Holiday went great thanks besides trying to injure myself ice skating lol!! im back in business now though and i need to cop myself on ive had 2 very lazy weeks. Thanks for the link im off to have a look now.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Ive just found out that I won't have my triathlon Ireland membership card in time for Sunday, I read that if you don't you have to pay a one day license how does that work? will I still be able to race, as I signed up as a TI member.

Also will it be ok to wear a tri suit in the pool, and then on the bike, would it not be a bit cold?

You can pay a fee on the day for a 1 day license. I think it's around the 15-25 mark. You can hand over the cash when you're registering sat. evening or sun. morning.

Most people wear the tri suit alright. Outward leg of the cycle you might suffer a bit(with the wind), but after that you should be okay. You're normally working hard enough that you don't notice the cold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭BombSquad

richiemack wrote: »
    Ive just found out that I won't have my triathlon Ireland membership card in time for Sunday, I read that if you don't you have to pay a one day license how does that work? will I still be able to race, as I signed up as a TI member.

I gave TI a shout about this as I'm in the same boat. Said they'd talk to the organizers for me... Different event in my case though. Give them a shout...

I know your registration on the TI website has your TI number.
    Registration prob wants to see a card though. They'd hardly just accept a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

tagoona wrote: »
    I know your registration on the TI website has your TI number.
    Registration prob wants to see a card though. They'd hardly just accept a number.

Depends on the person on the desk a lot of the time.

BombSquad wrote: »
    I gave TI a shout about this as I'm in the same boat. Said they'd talk to the organizers for me... Different event in my case though. Give them a shout...

No card, then one day licence required.

The reason for this is the number of people unofficially swapping entries - effectively fraud - and thereby having no insurance cover.

I'll enquire about the desk and get back to ye

• Advertisement

I am currently training for my first Olympic distance triathlon - Carna in July. I did Ballina & Loughrea, both sprints, last year.

Training is going well - an average of 2 swims, 2 runs, 1 core, 1 cycle & 2 karate classes a week. I am currently signed up for and ran my first 5k in the Galway 5k series on Tuesday night. This is happening for the next 5 weeks - 6 races in total. How should I slot these races in to my training schedule? I currently run loosely based on the FIRST program, 1 speed session and one tempo session. I have been giving the LSD a miss of late. Should I try to add this race and keep doing my standard 2 per week or drop the tempo on for the 5 weeks and use the race as that? The reason I'm unsure what to do is that some of the tempo sessions can go for up to 9 miles - e.g. 1 mile warm up, 2 miles at ST (Short Tempo), 1 mile easy, 1 mile at ST, 1 mile easy, 2 miles at ST and 1 mile cool down. Any thoughts or comments on what to do with the running? I also know I need to get more miles on the bike and will be squeezing that in too from next week on. Cheers.

Next problem, I'm stuck for a tri suit, or shorts for Joey on Sunday, supplier has let down the club on the new gear, which I was relying on and only found out yesterday, none of last years gear will fit me either, apart from a medium top which I could make do with, bit tight though. Anyhow I still can't find anywhere in Galway with any gear. Nigels has no shorts but suits for 120 so that options out,club suits only60, and I really only need it for Sunday. Has anyone any ideas? any other stores to try, or know anyone with gear for sale?Im 5,10, 10 st, cheers lads

Next problem, I'm stuck for a tri suit, or shorts for Joey on Sunday, supplier has let down the club on the new gear, which I was relying on and only found out yesterday, none of last years gear will fit me either, apart from a medium top which I could make do with, bit tight though. Anyhow I still can't find anywhere in Galway with any gear. Nigels has no shorts but suits for 120 so that options out,club suits only60, and I really only need it for Sunday. Has anyone any ideas? any other stores to try, or know anyone with gear for sale?Im 5,10, 10 st, cheers lads

I have a rowing one-piece that is very similar to a tri suit. You're welcome to borrow it if you wish.

Thanks for the offer, but I was rescued by a super friend today. She has what she said is a unisex tri suit, tried it on and it fits snug, just one question, do only girls tri suits zip up the back? if they do will I look like a total gimp on race day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Thanks for the offer, but I was rescued by a super friend today. She has what she said is a unisex tri suit, tried it on and it fits snug, just one question, do only girls tri suits zip up the back? if they do will I look like a total gimp on race day?

You may care about what you look like before the race starts but during the race you don't give a sh*t. I wear a two piece and I'm always before the race thinking..oh does my belly overhand the shorts too much... half way through the run all I'm thinking is "finish, finish, finish"... and when you do, you feel like a rockstar!

All you care about is finishing. You'll be covered in what I refer to as a medley of bodily fluids... sweat, snot, saliva.. the important thing is to be as comfortable as you can be during the race. In fairness, you don't get into triathlons for the glamour, which you realise when you wipe your first five inch snot off your bike shorts when you're on a cycle. Even tonight I went for a run and looked like I'd been mugged by a gang of chav snails, I was covered in snot and spit by the end of the run. And I never realised just how bad I could smell till I took up triathlons, you're like a teenagers armpit by the end of your training runs.

It's easy to get a bit freaked out when you see people unloading fancy bikes and with super-duper gear but just enjoy the race. One of the nicest things about doing triathlons is that everyone is very friendly and encouraging no matter what your time or motivations. So don't worry about looking silly, just remember everyone is there to run their own race, they're too busy going "just one more bit", "don't throw up", "where the fe*k is my bike" to worry about what you're wearing...

Just go through your pre-race routine or develop a new one, try and stay relaxed and enjoy every minute. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I wouldn't worry about it. I go for the ol' tow piece myself as well. I always feel like a bit of a gimp, but then you'll see some guy wearing only speedos and a cut-off vest, and think- at least I don't look like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Absolutely top post. :D:D

It's funny 'cos it's so true.

You may care about what you look like before the race starts but during the race you don't give a sh*t. I wear a two piece and I'm always before the race thinking..oh does my belly overhand the shorts too much... half way through the run all I'm thinking is "finish, finish, finish"... and when you do, you feel like a rockstar!

All you care about is finishing. You'll be covered in what I refer to as a medley of bodily fluids... sweat, snot, saliva.. the important thing is to be as comfortable as you can be during the race. In fairness, you don't get into triathlons for the glamour, which you realise when you wipe your first five inch snot off your bike shorts when you're on a cycle. Even tonight I went for a run and looked like I'd been mugged by a gang of chav snails, I was covered in snot and spit by the end of the run. And I never realised just how bad I could smell till I took up triathlons, you're like a teenagers armpit by the end of your training runs.

It's easy to get a bit freaked out when you see people unloading fancy bikes and with super-duper gear but just enjoy the race. One of the nicest things about doing triathlons is that everyone is very friendly and encouraging no matter what your time or motivations. So don't worry about looking silly, just remember everyone is there to run their own race, they're too busy going "just one more bit", "don't throw up", "where the fe*k is my bike" to worry about what you're wearing...

Just go through your pre-race routine or develop a new one, try and stay relaxed and enjoy every minute. :-)

liamo wrote: »
    Absolutely top post. :D:D

It's funny 'cos it's so true.

+1 so we all smell like teenager's armpits LOL :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    I am currently training for my first Olympic distance triathlon - Carna in July. I did Ballina & Loughrea, both sprints, last year.

Training is going well - an average of 2 swims, 2 runs, 1 core, 1 cycle & 2 karate classes a week. I am currently signed up for and ran my first 5k in the Galway 5k series on Tuesday night. This is happening for the next 5 weeks - 6 races in total. How should I slot these races in to my training schedule? I currently run loosely based on the FIRST program, 1 speed session and one tempo session. I have been giving the LSD a miss of late. Should I try to add this race and keep doing my standard 2 per week or drop the tempo on for the 5 weeks and use the race as that? The reason I'm unsure what to do is that some of the tempo sessions can go for up to 9 miles - e.g. 1 mile warm up, 2 miles at ST (Short Tempo), 1 mile easy, 1 mile at ST, 1 mile easy, 2 miles at ST and 1 mile cool down. Any thoughts or comments on what to do with the running? I also know I need to get more miles on the bike and will be squeezing that in too from next week on. Cheers.

Thoughts or comments anyone? Cheers. :o

• Advertisement

Ive read the race briefing but was wondering what time I should be aiming to be at UL on Sunday morning? I also noticed that the swim for newbies doesn't start till 11.30 , so what do you advise to wear? after I drop all my gear at transition, should I just be heading to the pool barefooted in my tri suit?

Advertisement