Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

richiemack wrote: »
    Ive read the race briefing but was wondering what time I should be aiming to be at UL on Sunday morning? I also noticed that the swim for newbies doesn't start till 11.30 , so what do you advise to wear? after I drop all my gear at transition, should I just be heading to the pool barefooted in my tri suit?

Just have a pair of flip flops and shorts and a t-shirt or joggie bottoms and fleece (weather depending). You can leave them by the side of the pool before the swim and collect them after the race. If you feel that you'd benefit from a little warm up, have an old pair of running shoes so you can have a little run around before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Training is going well - an average of 2 swims, 2 runs, 1 core, 1 cycle & 2 karate classes a week.

Personally I'd ditch the karate. I used to do Silat but had to dump it as the knockes and bangs, while minor, impacted training.
    I am currently signed up for and ran my first 5k in the Galway 5k series on Tuesday night. This is happening for the next 5 weeks - 6 races in total. How should I slot these races in to my training schedule? I currently run loosely based on the FIRST program, 1 speed session and one tempo session.

I have been giving the LSD a miss of late. Should I try to add this race and keep doing my standard 2 per week or drop the tempo on for the 5 weeks and use the race as that? The reason I'm unsure what to do is that some of the tempo sessions can go for up to 9 miles - e.g. 1 mile warm up, 2 miles at ST (Short Tempo), 1 mile easy, 1 mile at ST, 1 mile easy, 2 miles at ST and 1 mile cool down. Any thoughts or comments on what to do with the running?

So basically you are only running hard? Bring back the long run, remember its not slow its easy. Ideally you'd be running three times minimum a week.
    I also know I need to get more miles on the bike and will be squeezing that in too from next week on. Cheers.
    Thoughts or comments anyone? Cheers. :o

"Squeezing in the bike"???

While triathlon isn't about the bike you cannot run well off the bike regardless if you aren't bike fit. Get your ass in the saddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Agree with Tunney on the Run and Bike bits :)

Disagree however with the suggestion to drop Karate. Perhaps tone it down from 2 classes per week to 1 while you are prepping for a Tri. I know that Karate is a way of life, more than just a hobby but a 'value' for some, indeed a family value for the likes of --amadeus--. Also if it is something that the heart enjoys or something you have put years of disciplined effort into, ditching it could be quite a sacrifice to participate in Triathlons.

'Squeezing' something in... what does that have to 'squeeze out' to fit?

MCOS wrote: »

Disagree however with the suggestion to drop Karate. Perhaps tone it down from 2 classes per week to 1 while you are prepping for a Tri. I know that Karate is a way of life, more than just a hobby but a 'value' for some, indeed a family value for the likes of --amadeus--. Also if it is something that the heart enjoys or something you have put years of disciplined effort into, ditching it could be quite a sacrifice to participate in Triathlons.

Never said to drop it - just said I dropped martial art I was doing as potential for injuries was huge.

As for "squeezing" things out - one of the biggest things I've learnt from triathlon is time effeciency, organisation and the importance of prepation. You don't have to give things up to fit more training in, just be more organised!

Absolutely you have to get more organised the more you take on! Taking something new into your life does squeeze something out though, whether is be sitting in front of the TV or the 20 mins of snoozing in the morning.

pgibbo being an ex oarsman would get that! Well done on the 5k by the way :)

• Advertisement

richiemack wrote: »
    Ive read the race briefing but was wondering what time I should be aiming to be at UL on Sunday morning? ?

Hey richiemack, transition area opens at 0715 and closes at 0915. If you arrive early you will get a parking space in a nearby car park, otherwise you may have to park down by the Concert Hall. The Sprint is kicking off at 1045

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

While triathlon isn't about the bike you cannot run well off the bike regardless if you aren't bike fit. Get your ass in the saddle.

How much cycling should you be doing if training for an olympic tri? I try and do 3 rides a week, but sometimes only get two in. I try and get a ride of up to 60 - 80km in with the other rides a bit shorter depending on how late in the day I get onto the bike - cycling at night is not a safe option where I live. I've started also doing my second ride on a shorter route (30-35kms) but which has some big hills and really gets my legs hurting :)

I also swim three times a week and split my sessions into long slow swim of 2,500-3,000m and sessions of shorter distances at race pace (e.g. 100-200-300-200-100metres x twice or similar). I find if I don't do the three sessions a week my technique starts to suffer badly.

I also try and get three runs in a week - 10km x 2 and a 15km. However I've been neglecting the runs if a I have a time issue as I'm not too long out of my half marathon training and my run fitness is not too bad (for me anyway - 1.49.47 Wexford half marathon) so I prioritise cycling and swimming. I sometimes lump a cycle and a run together in a single session to use the tiem more efificiently.

Not looking for Tunney or MCOS times in my first Olympic, a sub 3hrs would be my goal.

It's easy to talk about managing time better, but when you have three kids under 5, a long commnute and a job that's going to get mental if the flu pandemic gets bad its pretty hard to do so.

Any advice / criticism appreciated.

griffin100 wrote: »
    How much cycling should you be doing if training for an olympic tri? I try and do 3 rides a week, but sometimes only get two in. I try and get a ride of up to 60 - 80km in with the other rides a bit shorter depending on how late in the day I get onto the bike - cycling at night is not a safe option where I live. I've started also doing my second ride on a shorter route (30-35kms) but which has some big hills and really gets my legs hurting :)

I also swim three times a week and split my sessions into long slow swim of 2,500-3,000m and sessions of shorter distances at race pace (e.g. 100-200-300-200-100metres x twice or similar). I find if I don't do the three sessions a week my technique starts to suffer badly.

I also try and get three runs in a week - 10km x 2 and a 15km. However I've been neglecting the runs if a I have a time issue as I'm not too long out of my half marathon training and my run fitness is not too bad (for me anyway - 1.49.47 Wexford half marathon) so I prioritise cycling and swimming. I sometimes lump a cycle and a run together in a single session to use the tiem more efificiently.

It's easy to talk about managing time better, but when you have three kids under 5, a long commnute and a job that's going to get mental if the flu pandemic gets bad its pretty hard to do so.

Thats a perfect amount of cycling. Running too. You could even dial one of the runs down a little.

Respect for getting all that down and having three kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Sorry everyone.

I know this is another completely random question and not at all relating to the conversation today but I'm hoping someone has a genious idea that could help me count laps.

I find that with both swimming and running I completely lose track of how many laps\lenghts I have done and it drives me mad, is there any tricks you guys have used?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    Personally I'd ditch the karate. I used to do Silat but had to dump it as the knockes and bangs, while minor, impacted training.

So basically you are only running hard? Bring back the long run, remember its not slow its easy. Ideally you'd be running three times minimum a week.

Thanks for the comments and feedback guy. I appreciate them. Going to take a good hard look at my training schedule over the weekend and take your advice on board.

I hear you regarding the injuries tunney. I ran my first 5k race on Tuesday with 2 severley bruised toes from karate the night before. I could hardly walk on them during the day but thankfully as the day progressed the pain eased a bit. Some ice on them before the race helped too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Will be taking tunney's advice on board.

All I will be 'squeezing out' is my lazy ass from bed earlier in the mornings and the same lazy ass off the couch earlier at night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Something like this, perhaps?
    I don't have one. But I'm a sucker for gadgets, so .....

Sorry everyone.

I know this is another completely random question and not at all relating to the conversation today but I'm hoping someone has a genious idea that could help me count laps.

I find that with both swimming and running I completely lose track of how many laps\lenghts I have done and it drives me mad, is there any tricks you guys have used?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

hey guys

just wondering following on from finding fitness question do you know if they remind you on race day how many laps of the pool youve done or is it up to you to remember or is there some other way......?

Cheers.....

guys can't believe the joey is on this weekend....eeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk:o

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

@ findingfitness When swimming short sets I count in sets of 10 lenghts, if I loose count and I am not too sure if I have done 6 or 8 lenghts I go restart at the lower number. for longer nonstop swims I count in a percentage completed, so if the plan is 50 lenghts non stop every 5 lenghts is 10%.

For running I use a Forerunner 405 which tracks everything, but for runs I frequently repeat, I know my km/mile markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Hey guys when is the next triathalon in Ireland and how would you go about registering, Id love to take on the challenge being a complete beginner and open to losing afew pounds...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

check out the TI calender http://www.triathlonireland-server.com/Events/EventCalendar All TI sanctioned events are listed with registration info.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Thanks guys.

Hi Limo
    Ya that gadget would be perfect but would have to order it and ship it etc... i dont suppose you know if its sold here or in the uk?

Meanwhile my head will stay wrecked lol!

Highway_to_Hell. thanks i normally do go back to the lowest but i feel its a pain. I find its impossible to count strokes or concentrate on arms etc and lenghts at the same time.

hey guys

just wondering following on from finding fitness question do you know if they remind you on race day how many laps of the pool youve done or is it up to you to remember or is there some other way......?

Cheers.....

guys can't believe the joey is on this weekend....eeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk:o

AFAIK they tap you on the head when you have 100m to go (2 lengths)

oh, and welcome aboard Nappy !!

Will be taking tunney's advice on board.

All I will be 'squeezing out' is my lazy ass from bed earlier in the mornings and the same lazy ass off the couch earlier at night. :D

IMTalk podcast this week - bit about "First Reponse" and that your first reponse is normally the right one for you.

"Should I get up and swim?"
    "Yes"

Then you start to make excuses
    "But its cold"

Suggestion is to pre-empt the excuses to allow you listen to your first response. Interesting I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

That's a loaded question.
    You'll probably want a sprint triathlon (shortest there is)
    check http://www.triathlonireland-server.com/Events/EventCalendar for triathlons around ireland.
    Some triathlons use ActiveEurope to register. See what still has registration open http://www.activeeurope.com/Events/index.cfm?AC=EventAdvancedSearch&Searching=1&keyword=&sport=10&DateFrom=dd%2Fmm%2Fyyyy&DateTo=dd%2Fmm%2Fyyyy&Country=103&Region=0

As well as paying for registration, you'll need TI insurance (probably a 1 day license if you're only going to tackle 1 this year). More than 2-3 triathlons, you need a
    You need to be able to swim 750m, run 5k and cycle 20km.

You'll need a bike & helmet, and a wetsuit if the swim is not in a pool, and runners(no, the ratty old pair in the back of the wardrobe won't do, unless you like getting injured).

Depending on level of fitness in each discipline, you should probably train at a minimum for 2 months to be able to do all those things comfortably.

As for losing some weight, running will take care of that for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

AFAIK they tap you on the head when you have 100m to go (2 lengths)
    quote]

Thanks a mil MCOS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Hi Limo
    Ya that gadget would be perfect but would have to order it and ship it etc... i dont suppose you know if its sold here or in the uk?
    Here's a UK site.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

griffin100 wrote: »

Not looking for Tunney or MCOS times in my first Olympic, a sub 3hrs would be my goal.

I've been reading this thread for a while now and this is the first time I've commented but I just had to say....

I'm impressed by how much you mange to fit in during the week, I have only done 3 sprints but have lined myself up for 2 olympic distances and 3 more sprints this year,

I have 3 kids (under 4) and all I can manage is
    • 3 morning swims (1hr) sessions about 2k each,
    • 2 turbo (1.5 hr) sessions about 45k each (cannot cycle in dark)
    • 3 running session, 1 hr of speed work (much needed), 10k run and 1 hr of brick intervals
    • 1 long cycle 90k @ the weekend

and I thought I was doing well, and had an understanding family

And I think you will easily make sub 3 hrs if you are doing that amount of training or my goals are way out of whack.

griffin100 and ZZJ thats some going out of both of you!

Good luck to everyone doing Joey this weekend, lets hope the sun comes out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

griffin100 and ZZJ thats some going out of both of you!

Good luck to everyone doing Joey this weekend, lets hope the sun comes out :)

+1 on that! Particularly you first timers who've been working so hard the last while - well done for sticking with it and have a ball on the day! I'm jealous I'm not going to be there TBH :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

how will the race numbers work on Sunday, 1st tri so not familiar, they said u dont need them in the pool as their not waterproof, and something about attaching them with pins, so am I going to be prodding myself with pins in transition trying to get my number on, while struggling with my helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

you'd be better off with a race belt.
    Attach number to the belt, belt can be put on easily.
    It can also be turned around to the front for the run.
    Displayed at the back for the cycle, by the way.

Last year, with no race belt, I had numbers attached to cycling top ,front and back.
    Some of the pins tore off the number while I was putting the top on after the swim.
    Good luck on sunday, by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Good luck on Sunday to everyone triathloning.

Don't forget to let us know how it goes!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 flynne8

Im doing Valentia on May 16, but i havent done any outdoor swimming, Has anyone done any yet? and if so where in Dub would b a good place to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

A final question,hopefully, about tomorrow, would it be ok to leave car keys in transition with the rest of my gear?

Advertisement