Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

You should be okay. Just don't make it obvious.
    It's what I did last year. I can only assume it's what most people do.
    Staff at these events are normally very careful that only competitors get into the transition area.
    It stops bikes being stolen as well

By the way, best of luck to everyone tomorrow.
    Send me a PM if you feel lik saying hello before hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Bursting for tomorrow!!! Lets hope the wond dies down a little and the rain holds off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

WOW!!! Just back from my first tri in Limerick and thought I have to thank all of you for such great help. It was absolutely brilliant, had a super day. It is the start of an infactuation with Triathlon, all the training paid off and I can't wait untill the next. Anyhow heres how it went

Last night, carb meal, hmmm what will I have, I know, pizza theres loadsa carbs in the base. Being a health freak this was an unusual choice for me, but was totally distracted, anyhow, that was a bad idea. had a bit of porridge for breakfast but was still full from the pizza!!

The swim......... was very nervous about this so put down an estimated time of 20mins, when we were sorting out the lane one guys says 9 mins, another says 12 so I say 13. Totally surprised myself, all my technique training totally paid off, lapped a couple of guys and ended up 2nd out of the pool!! dunno what that guy was on about saying 9 mins, couldn't wait for him to get out of my way, spent the 1st 100m doing breaststroke cause they were all so slow, couldnt believe that, as a month ago I didn't think I could swim 50metres front crawl continuosuly.

The bike.....ploughed out the road, overtook a fair few, total confidence boost, then whatever was in my stomach held me up for about 8km, and was flying it on the way back, overtaking people that overtook me when my belly was slowing me down. I have to admit though that when my belly feeling a bit **** I was drafting as I was finding it tough, and the wind was against me. There were a few others at it as well. Some prick flew past us all on a super dooper bike shouting no drafting!!what a wanker as if he cared! I was totally surprised as well when I watched the 1st wave of the olympic swimmers with guys fighting with each other in the pool for the whole swim, two of them stopped and stood up at one point, thought they were gonna clobber each other, would have been fairly funny!!

The run..... well the fun kinda stopped here, I hate running and is definitely my week point, 1km mark, f**k, thought Id done at least 2!! by 2km my right leg started seizing up, Ive a little tendonitis in my knee which started acting up and continued down the whole tendon in my right leg, so I basically limped the rest of the run, I ran it,but just about. I kept telling myself that I would finish the race running, even if I had to do it on one leg. Everyone flying by was so encouraging and so were the marshalls. So I ran through the finish line, absolutely delighted as if Id just won the tour de France!!! I also took no notice of my time so I don't even know how I did. Im looking forward to seeing the break down though as I know the run was a write off but Im hoping that I got a good swim time, which will be the first time I ever timed my swim!!

All in all it was an excellent day, and Im totally psyched about the next one, Galway, and am now delighted to be a triathlete. Two things I learned was to be more aware of my pre race and race day diet, I did my best but will need to do better. Also need to fin out whats going on with my leg, maybe I can get a gate analysis, might have something to do with it I think. One thing I was left wondering was, why did I get hair styling gel in my registration goodie bag, was it a hint??

For anyone else that raced today, hope it went well, for those yet to do their 1st race, best of look it is so much fun, and at 26 I'm so glad I've finally found a sport that I actually enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Yeh, I just got home from the Joey Hannan and had a great time. I did the Novice Try-a-Thon.

The most nervous part of it for me was making sure everything was set out in transition, I kept having this feeling I'd get there and find I'd only left one shoe or something.

Anyway it went well. I don't have my results yet, but felt I did quite well, especially considering it was was my first one.

Well done to ye Richiemack and Redjeep.
    Remember, it only gets better from here!

Richiemack, check your bike setup as well. This can affect the leg muscles a lot as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

richiemack wrote: »
    WOW!!! Just back from my first tri in Limerick and thought I have to thank all of you for such great help. It was absolutely brilliant, had a super day. It is the start of an infactuation with Triathlon, all the training paid off and I can't wait untill the next. Anyhow heres how it went

Last night, carb meal, hmmm what will I have, I know, pizza theres loadsa carbs in the base. Being a health freak this was an unusual choice for me, but was totally distracted, anyhow, that was a bad idea. had a bit of porridge for breakfast but was still full from the pizza!!

The swim......... was very nervous about this so put down an estimated time of 20mins, when we were sorting out the lane one guys says 9 mins, another says 12 so I say 13. Totally surprised myself, all my technique training totally paid off, lapped a couple of guys and ended up 2nd out of the pool!! dunno what that guy was on about saying 9 mins, couldn't wait for him to get out of my way, spent the 1st 100m doing breaststroke cause they were all so slow, couldnt believe that, as a month ago I didn't think I could swim 50metres front crawl continuosuly.

The bike.....ploughed out the road, overtook a fair few, total confidence boost, then whatever was in my stomach held me up for about 8km, and was flying it on the way back, overtaking people that overtook me when my belly was slowing me down. I have to admit though that when my belly feeling a bit **** I was drafting as I was finding it tough, and the wind was against me. There were a few others at it as well. Some prick flew past us all on a super dooper bike shouting no drafting!!what a wanker as if he cared! I was totally surprised as well when I watched the 1st wave of the olympic swimmers with guys fighting with each other in the pool for the whole swim, two of them stopped and stood up at one point, thought they were gonna clobber each other, would have been fairly funny!!

The run..... well the fun kinda stopped here, I hate running and is definitely my week point, 1km mark, f**k, thought Id done at least 2!! by 2km my right leg started seizing up, Ive a little tendonitis in my knee which started acting up and continued down the whole tendon in my right leg, so I basically limped the rest of the run, I ran it,but just about. I kept telling myself that I would finish the race running, even if I had to do it on one leg. Everyone flying by was so encouraging and so were the marshalls. So I ran through the finish line, absolutely delighted as if Id just won the tour de France!!! I also took no notice of my time so I don't even know how I did. Im looking forward to seeing the break down though as I know the run was a write off but Im hoping that I got a good swim time, which will be the first time I ever timed my swim!!

All in all it was an excellent day, and Im totally psyched about the next one, Galway, and am now delighted to be a triathlete. Two things I learned was to be more aware of my pre race and race day diet, I did my best but will need to do better. Also need to fin out whats going on with my leg, maybe I can get a gate analysis, might have something to do with it I think. One thing I was left wondering was, why did I get hair styling gel in my registration goodie bag, was it a hint??

For anyone else that raced today, hope it went well, for those yet to do their 1st race, best of look it is so much fun, and at 26 I'm so glad I've finally found a sport that I actually enjoy!!

Glad you enjoyed your first race. Pity you cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »

Was waiting for this post :D

Don't see the point of drafting in a race myself.

tunney wrote: »
    not totally fair, 1st race feelin a bit dodge, group other novices cycling together, none of us were gonna win, none of us knew each other, moral support if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

not totally fair, 1st race feelin a bit dodge, group other novices cycling together, none of us were gonna win, none of us knew each other, moral support if anything

Still drafting which is against the rules, you are getting an advantage over others.

If it was going to be easy to do triathlons we wouldn't spend hours every day/week training for them.

Unfortunately richiemack, it is a tough, but fair statement.
    Ignorance of drafting regualtions is one thing.
    Deliberately flouting them, is another.
    It does taint your achievement slightly.
    We all could improve our times with drafting. And I'm nowhere near winning a tri either.
    It's just not a fair reflection of an individual effort.
    Maybe keep that in mind for your next tri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭barongreen

Hi everyone,
    Ive been reading the thread from start to finish this week and i have to say its encouraged me enough to enter the tri in kilcock. For good or bad... Only been training 4 weeks with 3 weeks to event so its goina be tough but my sis is doing it so i just went for it.

This is where im at now,
    swim - 500m constant 1 length breaststroke 1 lenght frontcrawl, no times
    cycle - 17km -30mins getting a road bike this week defo my weekest.
    Ran 2.5k after the cycle in roughly 10 mins (did'nt try more as wanted to hit the pool)
    I have no training plan other than hitting the gym every second night, looking for secondhand bike starting tommorow. going for a lake swim next weekend,
    tried 2 or 3 transitions from cycling to running.
    Training plan needed with less than 3 weeks left :confused:

now silly question time :o
    what does brick mean?
    also i am about to purchase a wetsuit on wiggle anybody know what there delivery time is like, as if its more than a week .......

by the way guys great advise so far ive learned tons!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

barongreen wrote: »

what does brick mean?

Hi Barongreen, good work on entering the tri.

Brick is just a bike-run session, like doing a run straight after a cycle. Gets you used to the feeling of running on already tired legs. Best not to do it full intensity- like do an easy shortish run after a tough bike and so on.

Not so sure about a training plan for the 3 weeks. You seem to have the distances covered already. Maybe get in a few longer cycles and runs. Don't be tempted to overdo it, especially the week before the tri.
    Maybe enter another tri later in the year and use this one as part of the training...

On a different note (to the drafting argument), does anybody know where I can get the results for the JH ? I didn't hang around after the event and I don't think I'd given them my mobile no. so didn't get them on my text.

BTW Richiemack, I think I saw you on the cycle - did the guy on the Tri bike shout to you just before the turn around at the roundabout at the half way stage? I would have been about 30 yards behind you coming up that hill and I overtook a group of people at the roundabout. The same guy just overtook me.

Results of Joey should be here this evening or maybe tomorrow morning
    http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/?q=joey-results

Totally fair.

Is there an achievement to running a marathon if you skip miles 10-20?
    What about running a PB over 1600m when you *actually* only ran 1000m?

There is no excuse for drafting with intent.

<edited to be nicer>

tagoona wrote: »
    Results of Joey should be here this evening or maybe tomorrow morning
    http://www.limericktriathlon.com/drupal/?q=joey-results

Cheers Tagoona. I'll keep checking.

To throw my hat in on the other argument, I think that drafting is pretty pointless anyway. If you want to reduce the effect of the wind in your face, go down in the drops or fit some Tri bars. Oh yes, and train a bit harder. I wouldn't draft in a race, as I feel that the rules are the rules and you do have to stick to them, you can't really pick and choose which to obey and which not to.

But as this was a first Tri for many people then perhaps we're being a bit too harsh with the condemnation ???

I suppose the final point is would you really have wanted to be disqualified for cheating in your first ever Tri ? Not the memory I would choose to leave with.

I was being honest about my race,didn't realise it was such a big deal, I wasn't gloating. I only wanted to finish the race, like many, ahead of me there was a big pack of olympic distance competitors doing exactly the same thing, I wasn't going to pull back and stay by myself. I finished and think its a great achievement for someone who 5 moths ago was totally inactive. Cycling being someone for a few minutes changes nothing to me, so come on leave it at that.

Richie, when i read it I just took it as a honest and full description of how the day went. I didn't think of it as gloating and in fairness, it didn't bother me in the slightest (and I was doing the same race).

I'd suggest that it's filed under 'lessons learnt' and be careful in the future not to do it. I cycle quite a lot in groups and really don't feel that it gains you that much. What you could do is try to do as much as possible under the rules to get any advantage possible (like the Tri bars, which funnily enough are illegal in road races) or get comfortable in your drops.

Glad you enjoyed the race. I know I did. Enjoy the achievement.

Now guys, can we let it drop and be happy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭onimpulse

... I only wanted to finish the race, like many... Cycling being someone for a few minutes changes nothing to me, so come on leave it at that.

Would you not prefer to be able to say you finished it without cheating? Cycling behind someone for a few minutes does change things - it makes you a cheat regardless of what you think about it.

It's only your first race though... don't worry about it - just learn the lesson & move on. Finish the next one yourself without anyones help & you'll feel a whole lot better.

would you guys recommend tri bars for a beginner? I know its a well debated issue, but is it a case that they force you into a better position?

• Advertisement

To be honest I've never used them so wouldn't be the best to give advice but I'd say make sure you're happy on the bike first and a competent rider (not trying to say you're not !) before you think about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭excitementcity

Hi all

Well I finally did it! Can I now say I'm a triathlete? Did the Joey Hannon novice tri too and made it through.:D:D

I was so chuffed with myself and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I was so worried when I arrived and all I could see were trisuits and tribars everywhere and was beginning to wonder what I had signed up for but the nerves went out the window when I got in the swim lane. All the other guys and the only other girl in my lane were just so nice and wished me well in my first tri and were already giving me plenty of advice for the next one.

We were lucky that we only had a lane of 5 so we just flew along and it wasn't stressful at all. The transition went fine too and I managed to pull on the ol shorts and top quick enough. I have to say though I found the bike so tough. The wind on the way out just had me at a standstill and I also dropped my waterbottle by accident and silly me nearly stopped to pick it up when I suddenly realised 'hey im in a race here, I can get a new bottle'! what was I thinking!It was disheartening having people pass you by but the girl who passed me just before I came into the transition turned around in the transition and said 'hey, great cycle'. I mean where else would you get another athlete telling you were doing great in the middle of the race?!It was just so nice and encouraging:)

....getting off the bike I couldn't feel my toes as they were like ice so the first kilometer of the run was a struggle. As I ran down the road I could see my fiance trying to get a pic of me and all I could think was 'smile, get round the corner and then you can take a rest where no-one can see you'! :o But I didn't and I got into it, and even managed to pass a few people on the run. Finally made it to the last run up to the finish line and my finace was there to jog the last 500m with me and my support group(aka family:D) were cheering me as I crossed the finish line feeling like I had just won the whole race even though I'm completely sure that I was rite down the bottom of the finishers, but who cares where I came. I took part and finished! Haven't a clue what my times were yet but my swim was defo the quickest that I have done in all my trainings as I heard them say 11.20 when I jumped out of the pool and I've never gone that fast before. :)

I just want to say thanks a mill to everyone on this thread for all the tips and the encouragement. :)Must go sign up for another one now! In the meantime the Calcutta 10k run in the Phoneix Park in 2 weeks will be my target!:D

Good work excitement city.

would you guys recommend tri bars for a beginner? I know its a well debated issue, but is it a case that they force you into a better position?

They do help, but only at about 25km/h and up. The faster you go the more benefit they give.
    If you do get clipon aerobars for a roadbike check the overall setup because they can alter the position on the bike to what you'd be used to. And they take a while to get used to!

Thanks a mil Mr Creosote! Your deadrite. Must get researching and hopefully they're not already full!

As I ran down the road I could see my fiance trying to get a pic of me and all I could think was 'smile, get round the corner and then you can take a rest where no-one can see you'! :o

That's brilliant, excitementcity. I haven't laughed that hard in ages. I was in the exact same position in my first tri.

hehehehe thanks tagoona!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

looking forward to seeing the results posted alright. I did get a texty message with results, but afraid that they we not mine!!! Oh how i wish they were thou!!!!

Some of the "action" in the olympic swim wave 1 was a disgrace. Were those guys DQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

Just want to say well done to all you guys who did the tri the weekend I'm sure you are all well impressed with yourselves. fair play its a big achievement!

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    Hows that now? The guy who finished 2nd in Nenagh observed that my splits were similar to his last year in duathlons. I'm about even on the swim with him but he leaves me for dust on the run. He did 2'30' and was on a road bike then too. For 2'24' (:eek:) I'd have to go very close to 40 off the bike

edit: pgibbo put it better... is there a rule of thumb?

MCOS : 02:23:10

I was pretty close MCOS gotta give me that.

Well down on the race, a great time.

Advertisement