Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

If you want my Kilkee and Kenmare predictions next MCOS.......... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Results are in thought Id post them. So remembering twas my first tri ever, and until January Ive never done any sports or excercise, what do you think. Oh ya and I was sick for a week before the race, and missed out on 10 days training(just thought Id throw that in!!) Overall time was 1.45, swim 11.29, cycle 56.44,run 32.50. Now the run Im kind of discrediting as I limped/walked the whole way as I pulled a tendon in my leg after 1km. Hoping I can improve on this alot by Galway triathlon so long as I figure out whats up with my leg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

great first outing!
    Where did you get the result from? Keen to see my own results!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

• Advertisement

SucCes09 wrote: »

Wow - thats a big field in both races. Well done to all first timers!

just checked some of the distances from the (forerunner) 305- cycle was 42.47 Km, and run 9.69km - anyone else get these distances? little disappointed that they could not find another 300m for the run to make the 10km, but the run course itself was excellent.

PS - was the hair thickening shampoo in my goodie's bag a hint:eek:

SucCes09 wrote: »
    just checked some of the distances from the (forerunner) 305- cycle was 42.47 Km, and run 9.69km - anyone else get these distances? little disappointed that they could not find another 300m for the run to make the 10km, but the run course itself was excellent.

PS - was the hair thickening shampoo in my goodie's bag a hint:eek:
    yeah the sprint cycle was short as well. guess they can't make it 100% accurate. What was with the hair gel in the goodies bag? couldn't figure that out either, wish Id seen my meal ticket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I didn't get hair gel :(
    And my meal voucher was for some bbq later that evening, not the pub next to the arena :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Well done to everyone who finished on Sunday and especially to you guys and gals doing your first event :) It was a fantastic success for LTC and a super sunny day for the race too!

Perhaps I met a few of you at the registration as I was helping out a bit on Sat night and Sunday morning. How nice are those t shirts :D And how lovely will the hair be now LOL

BBQ food was great, if you didn't make it in don't worry I ate your share just so it would go to waste... :D

Fair play Tunney, you were almost spot on! It hurt though and continues to hurt today... emptied the tank on Sunday but delighted with result. I'll pop a report in the log in a while when I get a few minutes.

Guys the 'fight' by the way was due to some eejit slowing everyone in the fast lane down and not letting them past. He then decided to take a swipe at them as they overtook! I don't understand why people lied about their swim times to get out ahead... what did you think would happen. Anyway the whole event was excellently organised and marshalled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Well done everyone, sounds like it was a great day!
    MCOS-thats an incredible result!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

I'm doing the Valentia tri the weekend after next.

Can anybody give me a run down of the course, i.e. Is the swim flat, choppy, wavey, side on, currents etc. What are roads like, rough, smooth, twisty, straights etc.

Any advice from people who have done the tri before would be welcomed.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

richiemack wrote: »
    Results are in thought Id post them. So remembering twas my first tri ever, and until January Ive never done any sports or excercise, what do you think. Oh ya and I was sick for a week before the race, and missed out on 10 days training(just thought Id throw that in!!) Overall time was 1.45, swim 11.29, cycle 56.44,run 32.50. Now the run Im kind of discrediting as I limped/walked the whole way as I pulled a tendon in my leg after 1km. Hoping I can improve on this alot by Galway triathlon so long as I figure out whats up with my leg

Good result! It's great to set the goal, stick to the training and see the results.
    Watch the leg too- get it seen to early if it's giving probs. These things can have a way of building up if you leave them...speaking from personal experience :D

ZZJ wrote: »

Can anybody give me a run down of the course, i.e. Is the swim flat, choppy, wavey, side on, currents etc. What are roads like, rough, smooth, twisty, straights etc.

Cheers

Not doing the tri myself, but looks like a long run into T1 from the end of the swim- 300m! Might get a few vomits on that stretch :D
    The swim channel is sheltered from ocean swell, but chop would depend on the wind. From what I know it can get choppy at the start in a strong W or NW wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

ZZJ wrote: »

Cheers

I did it last year and it'll be my first outing of the season again this year.
    Swim: slight change - may effect sighting but not by much. Obviously since its an OW swim it can be effected by wind causing swell but its a very sheltered spot and it'll be very slight if any (** famous last words ;)).
    Bike: Roads are a little patchy alright - first 2k or so is up a slight gradient but nothing too much. Lots of twists and turns on the route - personally I wont be using tri bars for this one.
    Run: Starts with a bit up the same / similar gradient to the bike leg, turn around, down and bit, down another bit to a turn around and back up and off to the finish.

Transition moving from the harbour is inevitable with that number of people registered (~ 400) was inevitable. The 300m following the swim wont be so bad imho - there'll be a similar distance to move with the bike following the dismount moving into T2.

Its a great race and the atmosphere is always pretty good at it. Hopefully the weather complies but hey ... there are a whole lot worse places to be doing a sprint tri.

For other newbies like myself, just thought Id post a message about tri bars. I wasn't sure about getting them first year round, and asked Nigel from the bike shop in Galway. He always gives me excellent advice. Anyhow he said definitely go for them. He setup my bike yesterday and I had a spin with them this morning, and after an hour I can most definitely say it was a good advice. Very strong winds, didnt bother me, kept me down in a good position and had no problem cycling into the wind, something which was annoying me at joey on Sunday. Hope thats of use to anyone else pondering. Picked up a nice zoot wetsuit as well, hopefully get into the sea at the weekend if the storm dies off

richiemack wrote: »
    For other newbies like myself, just thought Id post a message about tri bars. I wasn't sure about getting them first year round, and asked Nigel from the bike shop in Galway. He always gives me excellent advice. Anyhow he said definitely go for them. He setup my bike yesterday and I had a spin with them this morning, and after an hour I can most definitely say it was a good advice. Very strong winds, didnt bother me, kept me down in a good position and had no problem cycling into the wind, something which was annoying me at joey on Sunday. Hope thats of use to anyone else pondering. Picked up a nice zoot wetsuit as well, hopefully get into the sea at the weekend if the storm dies off

Just watch does bars when riding in a group. can be awfully dangerous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tunney wrote: »
    Just watch does bars when riding in a group. can be awfully dangerous :)

stir5.JPG

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Hey guys,

What's the difference between the following?

• Draft legal start - prize money only for competitors in this wave
    • Medium start (normal non-drafting start wave)
    • Slow start (non-drafting start wave)

I'm look at Skerries as first tri, with Beast of the East following a month later. Sensible?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm look at Skerries as first tri, with Beast of the East following a month later. Sensible?

Wondered the same thing for Kilcock, is the main race draft legal and the slower waves not? I will be entering the slowest wave I think as my swimming is poor.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Basically the first wave should be for the elite swim/runners. Out of the water in a pack, ride in a pack, then all down to the run.

Medium and slow are as they are described. non drafting races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi guys,

Hope all are training well and excited about your upcoming events :)

I've got Valentia Island next in line so an OW swim before then would be great. Never worn a wet suit or been OW swimming so I've reviewed the advice in different threads. Hoping to get a dip next week somewhere but I first need a wetsuit!

Tried one on at lunch time today. A medium blue seventy ironman one with Helix written on the arm. It had blue panels at the shoulders.

Anyway I put it on and it fit the arms and legs but the young guy at the shop said my shoulders and chest were too big for the suit than I maybe needed a medium large. The didn't have that size. In fairness he didn't even attempt to zip it up and I couldn't zip it up myself..

I rang the shop owner to go back in and try in on again in a while. He reckons he can get me into it...

What should I look out for in terms of fit? I don't really want to get a wetsuit off the net and need one rather urgently anyway.

Just how tight should it be around your chest and shoulders?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hi guys,

Hope all are training well and excited about your upcoming events smile.gif

I've got Valentia Island next in line so an OW swim before then would be great. Never worn a wet suit or been OW swimming so I've reviewed the advice in different threads. Hoping to get a dip next week somewhere but I first need a wetsuit!

Tried one on at lunch time today. A medium blue seventy ironman one with Helix written on the arm. It had blue panels at the shoulders.

Anyway I put it on and it fit the arms and legs but the young guy at the shop said my shoulders and chest were too big for the suit than I maybe needed a medium large. The didn't have that size. In fairness he didn't even attempt to zip it up and I couldn't zip it up myself..

I rang the shop owner to go back in and try in on again in a while. He reckons he can get me into it...

What should I look out for in terms of fit? I don't really want to get a wetsuit off the net and need one rather urgently anyway.

Just how tight should it be around your chest and shoulders?

Thanks

I bought mine in Irish Fit last year and was told that as long as I could get the zip up fully that the suit was not too small. I was a bit dubious at this advice and nearly killed myself in the shop getting into the suit but once I was in and the zip was up a few adjustments of the chest and shoulders helped me get more comformtable. Was still a bit unsure as it felt pretty tight but with no other suit in the shop having even half a chance of getting over my (then) ample frame (believe me, we tried:D) I bough the suit. The more I tried it on the easier it got to get in and out of the suit - this is a skill you should practicse. My wife would fall around the place laughing as I rolled around the floor trying to get out of a very skin tight suit (then I discovered baby oil and it became much easier).

The suit ended up fitting fine for the three OW sprint tris I wore it for last year with no chaffing or rubbing and was very comfortable once in the water. I did however need help in closing the zip though.

I tried it on last week as I have my first open water swim of the year this weekend and I didn't even need babyoil to get in - courtesy of a lot of running over the winter months :P One thing though, during my last tri last year I'm pretty sure that there was a leak somewhere around the base of the zip, don't know if thats from squeezing into the suit or from poor quality of the suit (it wasn't exactly expensive). Have worn it in the bath (:o) to check for leak but cant find one but I'm sure if there is one I'll know pretty quick on Sunday.

If it's too tight it's no good.
    If it's too loose it's no good.
    It has to fit just right.

If the shop owner is going to jam you into a suit just for a sale then maybe you need to look elsewhere?

I've a medium Helix and my upper body is alot smaller than yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

i got a blue seventy suit not too long ago and it was a bugger to get into when trying it on in the shop. i needed a hand to zip it up fully. however my arm movement and motion around the shoulders wasn't restricted at all.

tunney wrote: »
    If it's too tight it's no good.
    If it's too loose it's no good.
    It has to fit just right.

Reminds me of a story I once heard. And in the last shop the wetsuit fitted JUST right.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Darac

Try a desoto wetsuit. They come as a two piece so you can get the optimum size. They take all your measurements and recommend the best size for you when you buy online. Mine fitted perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Hi there, I've my first one at the NAC very soon and I think I left it too late to try out the 50m pool! It takes me 20 mins to do the 750m swim and I need to stop for a few deep breaths at the end of each 50m length. I breathe every 3 strokes. I suspect my technique is to blame. Is there a stratedgy I could use on the day to keep going?

And another thing. After about 15k on the bike my lower back starts to hurt and its pretty stiff going into the run. Should I play around with saddle and/or handlebar heights? Despite having padded shorts on I have to stand up off the saddle at times to let some blood flow to my "under carraige". Is this because I am new to cycling?

I have tried twice now to run 5k after a 20+k cycle. Its not happening. My legs wont lift off the ground and I just plod very slowly around the place.

Nerves starting to kick in now! At least I will look the part with my super tight Tri shorts.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Hi Paul,
    If you're out of breath every 50m, maybe try breathing every 2nd stroke rather than every 3rd but I wouldn't go radically changing what you're doing at this stage if your race is soon.
    Bring your bike into a good bike shop and ask them to "set it up" for you- they'll basically adjust the saddle/stem to suit you perfectly- that should ease the back pain, and will probably help with the run after the cycle.
    That heavy legs feeling after the cycle comes with the territory I'm afraid and just takes a bit of practice and getting used to although cycling at a faster cadence for a bit before dismount helps to get the legs ready for the run. Practice it a couple of times before the event so you can learn how to pace yourself.
    Good luck with the rest of the training and just relax- its all in the name of a bit of craic:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dalkener

kerinsp wrote: »
    Hi there, I've my first one at the NAC very soon and I think I left it too late to try out the 50m pool! It takes me 20 mins to do the 750m swim and I need to stop for a few deep breaths at the end of each 50m length. I breathe every 3 strokes. I suspect my technique is to blame. Is there a stratedgy I could use on the day to keep going?

And another thing. After about 15k on the bike my lower back starts to hurt and its pretty stiff going into the run. Should I play around with saddle and/or handlebar heights? Despite having padded shorts on I have to stand up off the saddle at times to let some blood flow to my "under carraige". Is this because I am new to cycling?

I have tried twice now to run 5k after a 20+k cycle. Its not happening. My legs wont lift off the ground and I just plod very slowly around the place.

Nerves starting to kick in now! At least I will look the part with my super tight Tri shorts.

Paul

Heya , had the same problem with the swim last year were I couldn't manage more than about 100metres without having to take a rest!

Found some great videos on utube to improve my technique, but the best one I found showed how you can actually take a rest mid-stroke, basically, when your arm has just come out of the water and your about to rotate through your next stroke just pause for a second, you can repeat this through many strokes...taking your rest and then continue on!

As soon as I implemented this I went from 100m up to about 500m, its brilliant if you manage it because it totally eliminated my nerves regarding the swim, knowing I could "rest" while swimming and definitely complete the swim. As your endurance increases you'll find you can very very far indeed using this! hope this helps and you'll probably find the swim is the best fun you've had in years ;)
    But don't believe the below...its just for fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_6tOzt-nfM

Advertisement