Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Good Video!
    Thanks for that tip. Is it how you try to "glide" with your outstretched arm for a second?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

that video reminds me of learning to swim as a kid. The old hag that thought me use to march up and down the side of the pool with a stick, slapping us on the head when we were swimming and clipping our heels as we walked too quickly from one end of the pool to the other. you'd imagine I was about 60 from that story, but Im only 26!!! its taken me a long time to undo the love of swimming she forgot to instill:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Hi guys,

Just noticed this thread now. I'm actually training for my 2nd triathlon, but it will be my first Olympic Triathlon (TriAthy). I did TriAthlone last year and I did the 750m swim in 18:30, the cycle (which was measured at 21.5km, despite the fact they said 20km) in 58mins, and did the 5k run in 22:40. I was top 67% in the Swim, top 44% in the run, but I was in the bottom 5% in the cycle.

I use a hybrid bike (cant afford to be getting expensive racers, and I like the reliability a hybrid brings, less chance of punctures). The thing I'm worried about is that for the 40km cycle in Athy I'll probably be able to do it in 1hr 50 - 2hrs. This means I'll have to deal with practically everybody passing me out like last year. This can be quite demorolising. If I end up in one of the last waves then the chances are I'll be the very last person to finish, and will have to do the run on my own with nobody around me, which will make things more difficult. I'd also be pretty paranoid that if I'm so far behind everyone else the organisers will forget I'm still on the course and wont be there to direct my run. Just my mind working overboard.

Just wondering is there anybody else who is doing the Olympic Triathy (or any Olympic triathlon) on a hybrid or even mountain bike? It would be nice to know that I wont be the only one. I'm aiming to do the Olympic tri in 3hours 30 mins but the main goal is survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

I would not worry about being the only one on a hybrid, there are always people on all types of bikes from full carbon TT bikes with aero helmets to never been oiled 15 year old mountain bikes made from pig iron and with tractor tyres.

On tip that costs totally nothing is to make sure you fully inflate your tyres to full pressure recommended on tyre this will help you move faster.

Just go out and enjoy yourself, do not worry about anybody else, just fulfill your own goals, one of the best things I have found about triathlon is the support you get from everybody, even those guys with the pointy helmets on their heads and slivers of carbon under there bums who fly around the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

04072511 wrote: »
    I'd also be pretty paranoid that if I'm so far behind everyone else the organisers will forget I'm still on the course and wont be there to direct my run. Just my mind working overboard.

Seriously this won't happen.
    As for the bike- maybe you could switch tyres before the tri? Changing from knobbly tyres to slick ones can make a big difference for a small price.
    And I'd agree with ZZJ- main thing by far is to enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

tunney wrote: »
    If it's too tight it's no good.
    If it's too loose it's no good.
    It has to fit just right.

If the shop owner is going to jam you into a suit just for a sale then maybe you need to look elsewhere?

I've a medium Helix and my upper body is alot smaller than yours.

The Helix was €500+ so I said feck that! Got a B70 Sprint for €180 and I fit into a medium, tight but snug and no restriction on the breathing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

MCOS wrote: »
    The Helix was €500+ so I said feck that! Got a B70 Sprint for €180 and I fit into a medium, tight but snug and no restriction on the breathing :D

Good call - the margins being made on the blueseventy stuff is ridiculous.

My next suit will be a Snugg one - custom made for less than an off the shelf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭jlang

Question about footwear for Valentia ... The adjusted course this year has a bit of a run up the road into transition from both the swim and the dismount point. Without further planning, I'll be barefoot out of the water and hobbling on cycling shoe cleats off the bike (although I could take these off too). Can I plan better than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

jlang wrote: »
    Question about footwear for Valentia ... The adjusted course this year has a bit of a run up the road into transition from both the swim and the dismount point. Without further planning, I'll be barefoot out of the water and hobbling on cycling shoe cleats off the bike (although I could take these off too). Can I plan better than that?

Best you can do is ditch the shoes when dismounting going into T2.
    Something like this might be worth practicing ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyCDE5uamLM&feature=related) - the reverse of whats shown in the vid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Does anyone know what kind of time is

excellent:
    good:
    fair:

for a 16km cycle (as part of the dublin city tri. in the phoenix park)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I hadnt thought of this!! I'll be barefoot both times so I'm hoping if there's gravel they'll at least cover this with mats!

Does anyone now what that terrain will be like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Another question about Valentia and Tris in general. Do they give you a swim hat at events? I was advised to wear 2 swim hats to keep your goggles on?

Also, my goggles fog up all the time in the pool, no matter what I do to them, I'm worried about fogging goggles in an OW swim and getting lost! Any tips? Do you guys use different goggles for OW swimming? Are there any fog proof goggles out there?

<<opens wiggle>>

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

I use something similar to these for OW:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/swim/9/Aqua_Sphere_Seal_XP_Clear_Lens/5360017427/
    LOVE'EM!- they practically cover my whole face! Personally prefer clear lens rather than coloured for better vision in the murky lakes.
    They will give you swim hat for safety mostly, so they can spot you in the water if you decide to take a detour and swim off into the sunset or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I was wonering about this myself - specifically T1. Would you be better taking off your wetsuit at the slip way and running up the the transition with it under your arm or will everyone be waddling up like a herd of penguins

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭findingfitness

dalkener wrote: »
    Heya , had the same problem with the swim last year were I couldn't manage more than about 100metres without having to take a rest!

Found some great videos on utube to improve my technique, but the best one I found showed how you can actually take a rest mid-stroke, basically, when your arm has just come out of the water and your about to rotate through your next stroke just pause for a second, you can repeat this through many strokes...taking your rest and then continue on!

As soon as I implemented this I went from 100m up to about 500m, its brilliant if you manage it because it totally eliminated my nerves regarding the swim, knowing I could "rest" while swimming and definitely complete the swim. As your endurance increases you'll find you can very very far indeed using this! hope this helps and you'll probably find the swim is the best fun you've had in years ;)

Hi dalkener

I have been looking at the clips also on utube but I dont think I have found the one you mentioned above can you explain it a little as this is my biggest problem with the swim i have to keep stopping for breaths.

Or if anyone else has tips then that would be great
    thanks All

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Another question about Valentia and Tris in general. Do they give you a swim hat at events? I was advised to wear 2 swim hats to keep your goggles on?

Also, my goggles fog up all the time in the pool, no matter what I do to them, I'm worried about fogging goggles in an OW swim and getting lost! Any tips? Do you guys use different goggles for OW swimming? Are there any fog proof goggles out there?

<<opens wiggle>>

I dont get involved in the flying arms and legs in the swims as im new enough to tris, I'm not a strong swimmer and i get panicky easily enough when i dip the head under water (its like a claustrophobic panics feeling sometimes!) so i wear two in order to keep my head warmer!

I use the Seal XP too. One tip though,bring two pairs of goggles. At Dublin Tri last year my goggles broke as we mounted the buoy to jump into the river for our start! I didn't have two sets so had to tie a knot on the strap to keep them together but it meant i swam with one eye flooded for most of the swim. It was dreadful! I was rightly pissed off too as they were a new pair of goggles that had only been used a few times before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just answering a couple of questions from experience.

You will probably be supplied with a swim hat, just bring your own on the off chance.

Can't remember what goggles I own but they're speedos. These ones currently don't fog. I've had non fog ones that have. For me it appears to be the luck of the draw although I like the current ones. The biggest goggle fear for someone like me is that I have contacts so getting a kick in the face and having the seal broken means blindness.

Mitre, usually you get your top half out of the suit coming out of the water. The suit shouldn't restrict your ability to run to your T1 slot.

And may I finally add

AAAARRRRRGH I'VE LESS THAN A ****ING WEEK TILL VALENTIA!!!! GOD WHY DIDN'T I TRAIN HARDER!!!!!!!!!!

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

<<opens wiggle>>

I find my goggles, 4 year old pair of arena goggles, actually work better in the sea than the pool, i.e. they fog up in the pool and not in the sea. The only way you will know is go for a swim in the sea this week and see if your goggles works. Was out at the weekend and the water was fine (with a wetsuit of course).

Also just had to share this classic story about anti-fog goggles.

My brother used to work in a sports shop and one day two nuns walked in looking to buy a pair of goggles and asked him why one pair were more expensive than another, he explained that the more expensive pair were anti-fog goggles, to which one of the nuns replied that she would not need them since she did not swim in the fog.

from memory and looking at a google provided satellite snap of the new transition Id imagine the 'shuffle' from water to transition area and from the dismount line to the transition area to be along the road - again from memory, the road surface is pretty smooth so unless you've got extra sensitive feet most should be alright. Also, it'll be so cold in the water your feet will be numb ... which will only help.

Its reportedly 300 m between waters edge and transition - Ive alway found it alot easier to get a soaking wetsuit off than one thats lost some water - so Im considering a quick exit from suit immediately after I exit the water and then onwards and upwards. If finishing swim in big group Id imagine moving a little and to the left or right of the main route to transition should avoid a trampelling from fellow competitors ...

400 people with 5 mins between the waves ... over 730 metres ... hmm swim time estimates might get tested for a few ;)

and one more thing re: goggles and anti-fog solutions

I did OW swimming for years as a kid combined with a lengthy period in competitive swimming. Goggles can fog up from time to time and let alot/alittle water in. I havent tried all types of goggles but id guess there are really few and far between that provide a crystal clear view of the world for the swimmer throughout a swim.

I found leaving your spit in the lense for at most 30 seconds, moving it about with a finger before dipping them in sea water helps somewhat. The best advice id give is have a clear lens / yellow lens pair in addition to a shaded pair. Even if they fog up a little or let some water in if you can see through them a little you'll be alright. Also - at this point of the week have a quick look at your nose piece and/or goggle strap - putting them on whilst riding the ferry to the mainland and them snapping beyond reach of a spare pare wont help you relax before the big off ... at least there wont be a worry about them fogging up if you're not wearing them ;)

Id avoid going with a new pair the day of the race - make sure the strap tension is comfortable and you're not getting out with a headache from the pressure on your eye socket. Additionally, wear two hats and put the goggles on over the first so their strap is covered by the second. Keeps your head warmer and helps keep the goggles in the intended position.

• Advertisement

Just a random question about clothing. Last year for the TriAthlone sprint triathlon I wore a wet suit for the swim with my running shorts on underneath the wet suit. After the swim I took off the wet suit and used the shorts I had on underneath for both the bike and run.

It was very uncomfortable cycling in running shorts though, so for the Olympic Triathlon this year in Athy I'm going to wear Padded Cycle Shorts for the cycle and then running shorts for the run.

I'm just wondering should I wear my cycle shorts on underneath my wetsuit or will this restrict my mobility for the swim?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

have you tried tri shorts? Less padding than cycling shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

+1 for spitting in the goggles. Spit, rub it around, rinse it out after 30s and you're very unlikely to fog up.

have you tried tri shorts? Less padding than cycling shorts.

I want to stick with as much padding as possible. I havent tried tri shorts but i still find it slightly uncomfortable with cycle shorts (although a million times better than regular running shorts), so i dont think its a good idea to lessen the padding.

I dont mind spending an extra bit of time during each transition changing each time. My main concern is that to do this I will have to expose my private area to the whole world. It doesnt bother me too much but it may not be something other people want to be seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

My tri suit was fine, not much padding, but not much time to think about it, their probably half way between no padding and padded cycling shorts. Their also designed to dry super fast. Would you consider a tri specific saddle, they have extra padding to allow for the lack in the tri suits, or even a softer gel saddle. anything to vut down on transition time

richiemack wrote: »
    My tri suit was fine, not much padding, but not much time to think about it, their probably half way between no padding and padded cycling shorts. Their also designed to dry super fast. Would you consider a tri specific saddle, they have extra padding to allow for the lack in the tri suits, or even a softer gel saddle. anything to vut down on transition time

My main goal is to just complete the course. My cycle time is going to be slow anyway due to having a hybrid bike, so I'm not too pushed going to extreme lengths (and cash) to save myself about 2-3 mins overall. My main concern is having to expose myself while changing during transitions. Thats why I was wondering if having cycle shorts on underneath a wetsuit would be a good idea or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My main goal is to just complete the course. My cycle time is going to be slow anyway due to having a hybrid bike, so I'm not too pushed going to extreme lengths (and cash) to save myself about 2-3 mins overall. My main concern is having to expose myself while changing during transitions. Thats why I was wondering if having cycle shorts on underneath a wetsuit would be a good idea or not?

Bad idea - think nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So my first tri is Saturday week and I am concerned about swim times. I've been looking for previous results of a sprint with a 500m swim... to see where abouts in the field I will be leaving the water. Anyone want to estimate the quickest/slowest times? 500m canal swim..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

catch88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what kind of time is

excellent:
    good:
    fair:

for a 16km cycle (as part of the dublin city tri. in the phoenix park)?

These are the results of the 2005 Dublin super sprint triathlon - the last time it was held I think. A quick look through the split times will give you a good gauge for all three legs

http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/downloads/DublinCityTri_TryATri_Results_2005.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

I want to stick with as much padding as possible. I havent tried tri shorts but i still find it slightly uncomfortable with cycle shorts (although a million times better than regular running shorts), so i dont think its a good idea to lessen the padding.

I dont mind spending an extra bit of time during each transition changing each time. My main concern is that to do this I will have to expose my private area to the whole world. It doesnt bother me too much but it may not be something other people want to be seeing.

Prudish as it may sound but nudity is not a good idea and it will probably get you eliminated I'm afraid.

Advertisement