Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

04072511 wrote: »
    I want to stick with as much padding as possible. I havent tried tri shorts but i still find it slightly uncomfortable with cycle shorts (although a million times better than regular running shorts), so i dont think its a good idea to lessen the padding.

I dont mind spending an extra bit of time during each transition changing each time. My main concern is that to do this I will have to expose my private area to the whole world. It doesnt bother me too much but it may not be something other people want to be seeing.

For a 40km cycle you should not need too much padding, have you looked at changing your saddle? a race type saddle should be more comfortable once you get usde to it.

Dont wear cycle shorts under your wet suit as they will hold the water a lot longer then tri shorts and make the whole experience a lot more uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

My main goal is to just complete the course. My cycle time is going to be slow anyway due to having a hybrid bike, so I'm not too pushed going to extreme lengths (and cash) to save myself about 2-3 mins overall. My main concern is having to expose myself while changing during transitions. Thats why I was wondering if having cycle shorts on underneath a wetsuit would be a good idea or not?

You could wear a pair of tight lycra running shorts or even speedos under the wet suit and then put cycling shorts on over them in transition. You wont dry as quickly as you would if wearing a pair of tri shorts but its better than wearing cycling shorts under your wet suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi Guys,

for anyone who has done Valentia before... How is the bike course, is it worth putting the tri bars on the bike?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Another daft newbie question.......howdoes a 2XU race belt work

Got one through the post yesterday, but not sure how you're supposed to affix your number onto it. It has two toggles with adjustable locks (like lock laces)

Do you put holes in the number and thread the toggles though it??? I thought they just have pegs that you could snap the number into.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

there should be little "buttons" that come off and you place your number onto the belt and fix the buttons back on. My first time using one in a race these buttons fell off so I always use safety pins and pin my number to the belt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

I always use safety pins as well. But only because the number itself may break off from the 2 studs faster than 4 safety pings.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Darac

Can anyone recommend a good sun block to use during a race. I've tried a few brands and always seem to end up with a mixture of sweat and lotion in my eyes. Not very comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭dalkener

Darac wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good sun block to use during a race. I've tried a few brands and always seem to end up with a mixture of sweat and lotion in my eyes. Not very comfortable

Wear a headband! I sweat a lot and it gets in my eyes and stings like ****, so i have to wear a headband, look like a tit but thems the breaks......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

ladytri wrote: »
    Prudish as it may sound but nudity is not a good idea and it will probably get you eliminated I'm afraid.

I think I'll just wear boxers or swim togs underneath my wet suit, then after I've taken off the wet suit at T1 I can cover myself with a towel to change from the swim togs to the bike shorts, and then do the same at T2 to change from bike shorts to running shorts. Problem solved I think. Will lose a bit of time but no more than 2-3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Why not run in the cycle shorts as well- would cut down on one change at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Why not run in the cycle shorts as well- would cut down on one change at least.

Definetely way too padded to run in. The shop I bought them in told me to not run in them. Not designed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭barongreen

first tri is in 1 1/2 weeks so thought id post my expenses so far as 6 weeks ago i had no notion....... and this may be useful to people thinking of giving it a go.
    I Just recieved my size 9 wetsuit in the post yesterday and suprise suprise it fittted perfect, i just used there site size estimator.

My list so far is
    one road bike 2nd hand off adverts for e120
    wetsuit ,online retailer e108
    Helmet, online retailer e32
    cycling top/jacket, online retailer e38
    trishorts, online retailer e28
    race belt, online retailer e5
    googles, online retailer e11

All in all v happy with stuff so far, a few bits and bobs left but suprised that i'm ready to go equiped to first tri for 300-350.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

barongreen wrote: »
    first tri is in 1 1/2 weeks so thought id post my expenses so far as 6 weeks ago i had no notion....... and this may be useful to people thinking of giving it a go.
    I Just recieved my size 9 wetsuit in the post yesterday and suprise suprise it fittted perfect, i just used there site size estimator.

My list so far is

All in all v happy with stuff so far, a few bits and bobs left but suprised that i'm ready to go equiped to first tri for 300-350.

Can this post be deleted please in case any of our significant others find out how little it can cost to take up triathlon!! I'm a dead man if the gf sees this!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

barongreen wrote: »

My list so far is

Hey barongreen, what wave have you entered for Kilcock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Darac wrote: »

I use P20 - you can get it from any chemist. Its an oil you put on first thing in the morning. It soaks into your skin and you only need to apply it once a day. Theres a bit of a smell of it at first but it doesnt run.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭cluelessx2

You can also get P20 in Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

Can anyone recommend what to use to help get the wetsuit off easier? Has to be non online so I can have it before valentia. Does baby oil work or will it damage the suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

fade2che wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend what to use to help get the wetsuit off easier? Has to be non online so I can have it before valentia. Does baby oil work or will it damage the suit?

Baby oil is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

tunney wrote: »
    Baby oil is grand.

Thanks tunney,
    P20 and baby oil it is, I hope the checkout assistant doesn't know me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

Hi folks,

im doing valentia triathlon on saturday.... yeeehaaaa, first one in the ow.

anyone done this before.... any course advice... dont have a clue what to expect from the swim to be honest ? will the current tide be with the swimmers, will it be anyway calm ?

• Advertisement

Thanks tunney,
    P20 and baby oil it is, I hope the checkout assistant doesn't know me!

Just be careful when applying it that you dont get any on your clothes. It's a nighmare to get baby oil stains out of a lot of fabrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

griffin100 wrote: »
    Just be careful when applying it that you dont get any on your clothes. It's a nighmare to get baby oil stains out of a lot of fabrics.

Did anyone else snigger when they read this? <<blush>>

Did anyone else snigger when they read this?

Come now, some maturity please, I ruined a very expensive jacket with baby oil at a race last year and I'm just passing on the info:p

I've said it before here, one of the strangest looks I ever got in my life was in the Superquinn in Waterford before the Tramore Tri last summer when I bought baby oil, ky jelly and a 6 pack of power aid - the cashier must have thought I was planning a wild weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

get some suit juice, any shop that sells wetsuits will have it. its made for suits, its safe, wont wreck your gear, and gets you out of the suit quick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I've decided on baby oil myself :D Due to Life I have a small window of opportunity to do this event. It means driving down, racing and driving home... long day in store but worth it I'm told

richiemack wrote: »
    get some suit juice, any shop that sells wetsuits will have it. its made for suits, its safe, wont wreck your gear, and gets you out of the suit quick!!

Costs a fortune and does nothing better than baby oil.

Triathletes are terrible for succumbing to marketing.

Not talking about anyone in particular but the overriding attitude seems to be:

"Well if I get the latest runners, clothing, all the bike gadgets and maybe a GPS/garmin unit, drink lots of energy drink and only eat energy gels I won't have to do any training".............

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

tunney wrote: »
    Costs a fortune and does nothing better than baby oil.

Triathletes are terrible for succumbing to marketing.

Not talking about anyone in particular but the overriding attitude seems to be:

"Well if I get the latest runners, clothing, all the bike gadgets and maybe a GPS/garmin unit, drink lots of energy drink and only eat energy gels I won't have to do any training".............

years of struggling after surfing to get out of thick winter suits in freezing cold car parks makes you look for a better way, and I found it!! baby oil on an expensive wetsuit? not gonna last long:)

I have my first OD tri in Athy at the end of the month. However the weekend before is the Kilcock Sprint Tri (short swim). Would it be a good training day to do this tri also or should I avoid it as it's too close to Athy? (and I also don't really want to swim in the canal but that's another story!)

richiemack wrote: »
    years of struggling after surfing to get out of thick winter suits in freezing cold car parks makes you look for a better way, and I found it!! baby oil on an expensive wetsuit? not gonna last long:)

I've an Ironman (now blueseventy) wetsuit since 2004 and no issues with baby oil.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    I have my first OD tri in Athy at the end of the month. However the weekend before is the Kilcock Sprint Tri (short swim). Would it be a good training day to do this tri also or should I avoid it as it's too close to Athy? (and I also don't really want to swim in the canal but that's another story!)

What harm.

Advertisement