Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

First Tri complete :D

Kilcock sprint: 500m-20k-5k sprint. Weather was on and off.. raining as I set up my transition and got ready but by the time we were out of the water it was nice and sunny.

Swim was my weakest I think, took about 15mins or slightly less maybe. T1 was interesting, wet suit came off handy enough but I f*cked up getting on the bike. I had my shoes clipped in and elastic bands etc.. managed go snap one of the bands and then fold over the insole of the shoe... after 200m of messing about I had to jump off and sort it.

Cycle was agood quick course. Out and back twice.. wind on my back on the way out and in my face on the way back.. average speed out was about 10kph faster. Loads of drafting going on.. pretty annoyed about it too.. I was 100m behind 2 guys take turns out in front of each other.. I will mail on their numbers later.

T2 was okay, first time dismounting into a run.. which worked out well :D

The run was pretty average, out and back trail run.. caught a few people and was caught by a few.

Overall it was a good day, glad to have the first one over.

Final time 1:19.. I think(hope and prey)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

Doing Athy Olympic distance next weekend, never done it before but the times look very fast, any advise from people who have done it.

Is it worth pushing it when swimming down stream, or should I save it for the last 400m upstream, any advise about sticking in the middle or down the banks?

On the cycle is it pretty much the same up and down? Should I treat it as two back to back sprint cycles?

Any advise welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Would be interested to hear what it was like (for a min for of €80).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

I did Galway yesterday, was my 2nd Tri and was excellent, a really enjoyable course, and very well run. The only problem was that the swim wasn't set out properly everyone reckoned the 750 swim was more like 1000m. Managed my best run and cycle times, on a great course. I have a question on bike sections, is it a bad idea to pace yourself relevant to the average km speed on your computer. I wanted to get the bike done at over 30km av, which I knew would have me iin or around 40 mins, and managed it nearly bang on 40 mins, if I want to improve for next race is this a good way to observe your progression through a race? and for those giving out about Galway etc, you missed out on a great race!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

ZZJ wrote: »
    Doing Athy Olympic distance next weekend, never done it before but the times look very fast, any advise from people who have done it.

Is it worth pushing it when swimming down stream, or should I save it for the last 400m upstream, any advise about sticking in the middle or down the banks?

On the cycle is it pretty much the same up and down? Should I treat it as two back to back sprint cycles?

Any advise welcome

I did the swimathy today the 1500 meters was all down steam due to the strenght of the current, they hope by next week to be able to go with the planned course and have 400 meters finish upstream, if this is the case I plan to keep a bit in reserve for this section. I found the current really strong when trying to get to the pontoon to exit hopfully the current will drop a bit between now and next Saturday. As far as I am aware when going downstream stay in the middle and when coming upstream stay close to the bank where the current will be lighter.

lets hope the weather is as good next Saturday as it was today.

• Advertisement

Looking for feedback on some upcoming events, I am thinking of doing these.. any feedback on them from previous years would be great.

Skerries or Waterford not sure which yet
    Carrick-on-Suir
    Mourne
    Dublin City
    Loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

mloc123 wrote: »
    Looking for feedback on some upcoming events, I am thinking of doing these.. any feedback on them from previous years would be great.

Carrick-on-Suir
    Mourne
    Dublin City
    Loughrea

Did Carrick last year and enjoyed it even though the weather was bad, rain stopped just before the start and the roads dried out enough before the bike section started but the Transition area was like a swamp. The swim is all downstream so is easy enough, the bike section is nice with no major hills, the run goes out on the road with a slight up hill section and returns along the river (which is nice). There was great support at the finish.

I have done Dublin a few times and I would not be mad about the swim course as it has a longish upstream section. the bike and run around the park are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Carrick-on-Suir
    Mourne
    Dublin City
    Loughrea

Waterford: Never done it but know the reputation of the race and I know the organisers and I think very highly of them. Waterford will be my final prep race for Austria.

Mourne: I've said it before and will say it again - possibliy the best swim and run in any race I've ever done. I love the swim in the lake and the run around the lake.

Dublin: Okay the river is manky - but the location, convience and organisation of the race are excellent. Piranah do an excellent job. I'lll be doing this race as well I hope, if I recover from Austira.

Carrick - Down stream swim, fast bike, flat bike. Good place to go on the piss afterwards. It always seems to be fantastic weather for this race too. Good race.

Don't know anything about the the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Kilcock sprint: 500m-20k-5k sprint. Weather was on and off.. raining as I set up my transition and got ready but by the time we were out of the water it was nice and sunny.

Swim was my weakest I think, took about 15mins or slightly less maybe. T1 was interesting, wet suit came off handy enough but I f*cked up getting on the bike. I had my shoes clipped in and elastic bands etc.. managed go snap one of the bands and then fold over the insole of the shoe... after 200m of messing about I had to jump off and sort it.

Cycle was agood quick course. Out and back twice.. wind on my back on the way out and in my face on the way back.. average speed out was about 10kph faster. Loads of drafting going on.. pretty annoyed about it too.. I was 100m behind 2 guys take turns out in front of each other.. I will mail on their numbers later.

The run was pretty average, out and back trail run.. caught a few people and was caught by a few.

Well done on your first Tri mcloc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭BombSquad

Was it just me or were the swim and run courses less than the advertised distances?

Also, I got my result via text and the time was 1:10. When I added up the splits they came to 1:12... A bit disappointing not having an accurate/reliable time...

• Advertisement

BombSquad wrote: »
    Was it just me or were the swim and run courses less than the advertised distances?

Also, I got my result via text and the time was 1:10. When I added up the splits they came to 1:12... A bit disappointing not having an accurate/reliable time...

The run must have been short, not sure about the swim as I have no other ow to compare it to.

Did Carrick last year and enjoyed it even though the weather was bad, rain stopped just before the start and the roads dried out enough before the bike section started but the Transition area was like a swamp. The swim is all downstream so is easy enough, the bike section is nice with no major hills, the run goes out on the road with a slight up hill section and returns along the river (which is nice). There was great support at the finish.

I have done Dublin a few times and I would not be mad about the swim course as it has a longish upstream section. the bike and run around the park are nice.

tunney wrote: »
    Waterford: Never done it but know the reputation of the race and I know the organisers and I think very highly of them. Waterford will be my final prep race for Austria.

Mourne: I've said it before and will say it again - possibliy the best swim and run in any race I've ever done. I love the swim in the lake and the run around the lake.

Dublin: Okay the river is manky - but the location, convience and organisation of the race are excellent. Piranah do an excellent job. I'lll be doing this race as well I hope, if I recover from Austira.

Carrick - Down stream swim, fast bike, flat bike. Good place to go on the piss afterwards. It always seems to be fantastic weather for this race too. Good race.

Don't know anything about the the rest.

Cheers for the feedback, my lineup for the next few months is looking like this then..

Waterford
    Carrick-on-Suir
    Mourne
    Carlingford/Dublin
    Loughrea(Only viable one in september I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Any of you guys (New and Oldies) considering doing one of the Eireman races???

There is an Olympic distance race included in the family of Long & Middle distance. Sea swim, cycle on closed perfect surface roads, run on one of the most scenic runs out there. As far as the olympic goes we might pip the claim as Irelands fastest Olympic race... Depends who turns up on the day of course.

Also you will get to race along side some of the International pros. Maybe not in the same race (they are doing the Long & Middle) but you can see what/ how they get themselves around. Fire a few questions at them in transition. One of the USA Pros might even be giving seminars on the Saturday... Its all work in progress

Anyway... I was reading this thread and its great to see so many new ppl coming into Tri. If you want more info go to www.eireman.org
    New people & new races = a good health check for Triathlon

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tritrier

Hi, I did the Cope Galway Tri at the weekend but only as part of a relay team as I was feeling lazy. The €80 entry fee was steep and I don't think it was particularly well organised. Registration on the Friday night was half an hour late (timing chip guy arrived late). Race didn't start on time. I did the swim and it was chaotic to say the least, nobody knew what the course was and I believe there was some confusion with the few lead swimmers turning too early. It definitely felt like a lot more than 750m but that possibly could have been due to the currents.

In fairness to the guy organising it, Seb, he appeared to be well clued in and running the whole show but it looked as if the marshalls didn't have a clue what they were doing and perhaps weren't briefed properly?

Oh and another thing.... no T-shirt, just a hat (a nice one at that!) - not great for €80 entry fee. I believe only €20 went to the charity (minimum compulsary donation).

Would be interested in hearing what others have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭tri111

tunney wrote: »

You forgot to mention the huge amount of drafting that goes on in this race. It sometimes resembles the peloton in the tour de france! I would not recommend this race unless they sort out the drafting issue. Apart from that it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

tri111 wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the huge amount of drafting that goes on in this race. It sometimes resembles the peloton in the tour de france! I would not recommend this race unless they sort out the drafting issue. Apart from that it's grand.

I had thought that the drafting was addressed in this race.

To be fair drafting is not just down to organisers to sort out but competitors to be honest and not draft too.

Judging from the only races I have done so far it seems drafting is common in them all :( Pissed me off on saturday watching the two guys ahead taking turns.. broke my balls to pass them only to have them catch me a few minutes later(forcing me to drop back a few metres)... glad to see they put in **** times on the cycle anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Did anyone actually clock the distance on the run / cycle?

I though the swim was about right.

I had my best ever time and did a pb in all three disiplines on Saturday and I'm gonna me pretty peed off if the distances on some or all of the legs were short:mad:

Cycle was bang on 20 (I think), the only reason I presume the run was short was because I did it in 25 minutes.. only running a few months and my current 5k pb is 24.30 so 25 seems a bit quick off the bike for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Any of you guys (New and Oldies) considering doing one of the Eireman races???

There is an Olympic distance race included in the family of Long & Middle distance. Sea swim, cycle on closed perfect surface roads, run on one of the most scenic runs out there. As far as the olympic goes we might pip the claim as Irelands fastest Olympic race... Depends who turns up on the day of course.

Also you will get to race along side some of the International pros. Maybe not in the same race (they are doing the Long & Middle) but you can see what/ how they get themselves around. Fire a few questions at them in transition. One of the USA Pros might even be giving seminars on the Saturday... Its all work in progress

Anyway... I was reading this thread and its great to see so many new ppl coming into Tri. If you want more info go to www.eireman.org
    New people & new races = a good health check for Triathlon

Good on you for putting on the races. Looks like a nice course alright. Closed roads too! Having a think about the olympic myself...

• Advertisement

Cycle was bang on 20 (I think), the only reason I presume the run was short was because I did it in 25 minutes.. only running a few months and my current 5k pb is 24.30 so 25 seems a bit quick off the bike for me.

Typo in my previous post... I actually meant the run and cycle seemed short as opposed to the swim and run...

I've roughly measured the cycle in the car at about 18km. Allowing a margin for error that's still a long way off 20km. Going to take the bike out tonight to check it properly...

I was within 20 seconds of my run PB so that seems very quick off the bike for me also...

I used Excel to add up all the split times for each person. These totals are not the same as the totals given in the results spreadsheet. (i.e. swim+T1+cycle+T2+run does not add up to the given total time...)

Annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

FYI : GPS reading for run was 4.47k on Saturday, the bike should have been bang on 20k, not sure about the swim.

BombSquad wrote: »
    I used Excel to add up all the split times for each person. These totals are not the same as the totals given in the results spreadsheet. (i.e. swim+T1+cycle+T2+run does not add up to the given total time...)

Annoying...

Yes, just added mine up now.. my own watch time matched the total time tho'

Yes, just added mine up now.. my own watch time matched the total time tho'

So your watch matched the total but do the splits add up correctly?

If they don't then I'll take it the total is correct and the splits are off...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

So your watch matched the total but do the splits add up correctly?

If they don't then I'll take it the total is correct and the splits are off...

My splits don't add either, although my watch time and total chip time are within a second of each other. Really annoying.....

Other than the swim where I checked my watch on exit of the canal I don't know what my other times were, although when I got my results texted to me on Saturday night I was sure that my run time was 2 minutes or slow slower than I thought I had run (I checked my watch coming over the mat out of T2 and at the end of the run and should have had a 21ish run, instead I got credited with a 23+) A 21 minute 5km off the bike would smash my pb for any 5km run so that's what made me think the run might have been somewhat short.

My watch matches the total time in the results sheet but when add my splits up they are about 3 minutes over the total.. pretty annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

Cheers for the feedback, my lineup for the next few months is looking like this then..

Waterford
    Carrick-on-Suir
    Mourne
    Carlingford/Dublin
    Loughrea(Only viable one in september I think)
    If you're looking for an event in September our club is running their 3rd sprint tri in Lough Key forest Park on the 6th of September: 750m lake swim, 23km cycle around the lake and 5km trail run through the forest. Registration hasn't opened yet but should open over the next couple of weeks if you're interested PM me and I'll put you on the mailing list for registration notification.

Loughrea is a pretty good tri too though- Beautiful lake swim, one of the nicest lakes I've ever been in. Cycle was pretty fast and run was an out and back. Weather was shocking last year when I did it last year so nobody hung around after.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tritrier

Hi Ladytri

I did the Lough Key Tri last year and it was great! Really well organised, fab day and a beautiful place. Not to mention the great food afterwards, really enjoyed it.

I don't actually know how to PM somebody on this forum but would like to be notified when registration opens.

I also did Loughrea last year, nice swim but really brutal weather but definitely a good tri for beginners (which I am).

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ladytri

ah shucks Tritrier, thanks for the complements!
    We're pretty proud of our venue alright-plus we have a great group of people in our small club which fluctuates between 4 and about 10 members:)
    Just click on my name on the left of this message and you'll get an option to send me a personal message...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

pardon my ignorance but where is Lock Key and when is the event?

Advertisement