Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

MCOS wrote: »
    Would doing a sprint Tri the weekend before Kenmare be a bad idea or would it be just the ticket to get teh legs race ready?

I'm hoping it's just the ticket as I am doing Lough Key the weekend before Kenmare. :eek: Lough Key came highly recommended by some friends that did it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭richiemack

Ive done two in a row and found the 1st one was great prep for the following weekend, so long as your training was up to scratch before the 1st one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 joeneedsbren

Alright guys,

From the looks of things a lot of you have done a couple of triathlons or are new to the scene but have a sporty background.

I'm 25 and haven't done any exercise for over a year so i needed a big challenge to motivate me to actually get properly fit. I've decided to do the Loughrea sprint triathlon in September with a few of my friends. I'm starting from scratch on all disciplines and was wondering is 3mths enough time for a unfit novice to enter a race like this.

I was also wondering would I look like i was competing in my own race if i was that far behind or do many people take it on as a once off challenge?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the reality of what lies ahead is kicking one, going to attempt my first jog tonight.

Also does anyone know how to change usernames on this thing?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭bananamansgay

i wish!

Go for it. I was a total novice in January. 26 never been involved in sport, now Ive done 4 triathlons and have planned another 4 throughout the summer. You'd be amazed at how fit you can get over 3 months, and with the right training you'd cruise through Loughrea. Join the local club out there I hear the do alot of club training sessions. I joined the Galway tri club an soon found myself going to all the training sessions and really getting into it. Now I'm totally addicted!!

Alright guys,

From the looks of things a lot of you have done a couple of triathlons or are new to the scene but have a sporty background.

I'm 25 and haven't done any exercise for over a year so i needed a big challenge to motivate me to actually get properly fit. I've decided to do the Loughrea sprint triathlon in September with a few of my friends. I'm starting from scratch on all disciplines and was wondering is 3mths enough time for a unfit novice to enter a race like this.

I was also wondering would I look like i was competing in my own race if i was that far behind or do many people take it on as a once off challenge?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the reality of what lies ahead is kicking one, going to attempt my first jog tonight.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Alright guys,

Thanks.

Welcome joeneedsbren :)

Go for it! 3 months is plenty of time to get into shape for a sprint Tri and as richiemack said, great craic and totally addictive!

You just need to get stuck into some running, cycling and swimming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

i wish!

Subcribe I think or you can ask the mods -- Aparently its been done before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 joeneedsbren

Cheers guys,

That's good to hear that 3 months is enough time if I get stuck in, also using this triathlon to help me give up smoking, I can't imagine i'd crave a smoke after pulling myself out of the pool!

I have no specific training plan, just to build up to all the individual distances (time unimportant) in the first month and see where that takes me. I probably will be focusing on the swim a fair bit, i'm okay at breast stroke but i reckon i'm going to have to give front crawl a proper shot. Having said all that my mates who are also doing it for the first time are all fit enough as in a couple of 10k jogs a week plus football training so as much as i'm doing it for a more fun and challenging way to get fit i'm sure i'll get competitive once i get properly going. I'll defo be back on here for tips and the likes once i find my feet though!

Thanks a million.

Bananamansgay, the speed of your response had everyone in the office in stitches yesterday, genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So anyone doing skerries as their first tri this weekend? Weather should be great for it.. if it holds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭bananamansgay

haha, yea well its something iv been trying to figure out for a while ;)

3 months is plenty of time mate, iv also given up the fags so its all good.

good luck with your training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Real 007

Jes fairplay to ya bananamansgay for kicking the habit and then taking on a Tri.

I'm doing Skerries this weekend, looks like the swim is straight out to the turn point and then back to the beach.

It looks like the first 2K are flatish but then a serious climb for about 2 or 3 K should be a tester on the legs!
    Loughkey opened for registration yesterday and i hear it is great for newbies!

Good man joeneedsbren, your well able for Loughrea. You will be fine come the day of the event. I'll be doing it myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DrMicrobe

Hi Guys,
    Im thinking of joining a Triclub-did my first tri in Athy last month and would like to join a club. I live in kilcock and I think the nearest club is NaasWheelworx? Anybody here in this club? What is the training like, how often do ye meet and do ye provide swim coaching? Just trying to get some more info about the club-I visited the website but cant seem to find info on training times etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

What is a normal time breakdown for a tri between the three disiplines? I have running and cycling under control but my swimming is more like floating in a specific direction while splashing....:o

I have a few events coming up, geal force etc but I think I'm missing out cos I have no confidence in my swimming. I'm Going to join a tri club but will have to do a lot of solo work to get up to speed.

What time/speed should I be aiming at to be mid group if ye know what I mean??

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

your best bet is to look at results from yrs gone past of any races ur planning on doing and check what the times are like. To get some confidence in the water try to get into it regularly. I was like that at the start of the year but i started hitting the pool before work (when it was quiet) 3 to 4 mornings a week. I hope to some day join a masters session but i still don't feel strong enough but i know i can swim long, if a little slow but i'm now confident i can do any distance in an ok time.

Once u get the pool sorted try to get into the sea/lake. Remember though never do that alone. Where do you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

Hi all the two pairs of goggles i use - Speedo Futura and sockets are both gone off and are now letting in water. Doess anyone know where I can pick up a pair of Swedes in Dublin City Centre? Im doing the Skerries Tri on Sunday so need these in a major hurry. thanks

Bambaata wrote: »
    I hope to some day join a masters session but i still don't feel strong enough but i know i can swim long, if a little slow but i'm now confident i can do any distance in an ok time.

Bambaata, you should go along to a Masters sooner rather than later. The 2 clubs that I know, both in Galway, have swimmers of all levels. The coaches cater for all levels and typically once you can swim a few lengths they are happy enough. The Masters crew I swim with have 6 lanes and each lane has people of the same ability in it. My 100m time dropped by 30seconds since joining.

pgibbo wrote: »
    My 100m time dropped by 30seconds since joining.

:eek: Thats some drop in a 100m time!

pgibbo wrote: »
    Bambaata, you should go along to a Masters sooner rather than later. The 2 clubs that I know, both in Galway, have swimmers of all levels. The coaches cater for all levels and typically once you can swim a few lengths they are happy enough. The Masters crew I swim with have 6 lanes and each lane has people of the same ability in it. My 100m time dropped by 30seconds since joining.

Have you any more info on the masters group? I train with the tri club in Galway, but would be interested in another session during the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

hi guys

a newbie here, after taking part in a 8 week weight loss challenge, I have decided to give a triathlon a go, am going to do the sprint in loughrea on the 13th september.

have an ordinary mountain bike, will it be okay? can't justify buying a good bike when i might not want to do another? do i need to purchase any fancy gear?

any advice or tips would be great, have got a 11 week training programme of the tri newbies website and will start on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DrMicrobe

Anybody:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    hi guys

a newbie here, after taking part in a 8 week weight loss challenge, I have decided to give a triathlon a go, am going to do the sprint in loughrea on the 13th september.

have an ordinary mountain bike, will it be okay? can't justify buying a good bike when i might not want to do another? do i need to purchase any fancy gear?

any advice or tips would be great, have got a 11 week training programme of the tri newbies website and will start on monday.

You don't need any fancy gear but do no swing your leg over your bike without a helmet.

MCOS wrote: »
    :eek: Thats some drop in a 100m time!

I am very happy with it. :D Then again it's all relative. I only learned to swim 15 months ago or so. Hence the gains were always going to be significant at first. I still have a long way to go but doing time trials every 9 weeks is a good way of tracking progress. That's the way our club does it. I am hoping to go better in the Autumn. We are currently on a summer break but a good few of the club still meet for OW swims in a local lake. The important thing is that I really enjoy the sessions with the club. :cool:

richiemack wrote: »
    Have you any more info on the masters group? I train with the tri club in Galway, but would be interested in another session during the week

Hi Richie,
    I swim with Tuam Masters. However we are currently on a summer break and resume in September on Sunday evenings in Tuam. A colleague swims with the Galway Masters in Leisureland. I will find out if they are still swimming for the summer or not and PM you tomorrow. PM me if you want more details on either club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

DrMicrobe wrote: »
    Anybody:confused::confused::confused::confused:

As with any club I think your prob better off ringing the number on their site and attending a meeting. It really is the best way to do it...... Enjoy

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    hi guys

Welcome to the madness sfhawke7w :) Best of luck with your challenge. You don't need a fancy bike or fancy gear, just a helmet as tunney mentioned. The weight will drop off if you train consistently. Drink lots of water in the weather. Tri is great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

*bump*

Triathlon is (finally) on my mind, and I think its time to venture out of the pool for some swimming. I need to pickup a wetsuit.. Not looking to spend a fortune, but don't want to rent because I'm sure Ill get some solid use out of it if I *own* one.

Anyone any recommendations? I was looking at the zoot ones in the cyclesuperstore a few weeks ago; the guy didnt have anything good to say about the 'flash' (180quid) and seemed pretty adamant that the 'fuzion' (270quid) was the one to go for. They seemed pretty tight, surprizingly so under the armpit.. but he seemed pretty confident that they fitted me well. The ones I've seen in amphibianking are all well out of my price range...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

I'd stay away from Athlone, the swim doesn't sound nice at all and there was some upstream last year.

I haven't heard any good feedback from anyone about the race. People just do it because it's big and because their other friends are doing it. I really don't think it has many redeeming qualities.

uh-oh, i signed up for this months ago because it seemed to fit in my schedule.. you've got me worried now. is the swim really that bad? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi All,

Hot off the press.... Éireman has just opened a Sprint distance race...

So now we have the full compliment on Aug 23rd. Long, Middle, Olympic AND Sprint... :eek:

Sprint & Olympic can register that morning from 6am. Olympic starts at 9.30am and Sprint at 10.15am. There will be Live Music and DJ at a band stand located in the same BIG council car park where Transition and Finish area are also located. There will also be face painters and clowns for some family entertainment

Sprint & Olympic will go half way up the closed motorway and return on the old N11 (call it the old Arklow / Gorey road) there is a hard shoulder) into Gorey and back onto closed road to Courtown.

One Pro has already signed up for the Éireman long distance. Maybe check us out www.eireman.org

Ta

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

kingQuez wrote: »
    *bump*

Triathlon is (finally) on my mind, and I think its time to venture out of the pool for some swimming. I need to pickup a wetsuit.. Not looking to spend a fortune, but don't want to rent because I'm sure Ill get some solid use out of it if I *own* one.

Anyone any recommendations? I was looking at the zoot ones in the cyclesuperstore a few weeks ago; the guy didnt have anything good to say about the 'flash' (180quid) and seemed pretty adamant that the 'fuzion' (270quid) was the one to go for. They seemed pretty tight, surprizingly so under the armpit.. but he seemed pretty confident that they fitted me well. The ones I've seen in amphibianking are all well out of my price range...

Checkout the blue seventy sprint, wheelworx stock them and they are fine for a first timer imo. €180.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Sgt Slaughter

Training for the Triathlone and just wondering where it is best to buy a wetsuit for a triathlon in the Dublin area? First triathlon

Advertisement