Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

WHeelworx Clondakin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

A quick question for those of you who have dedicated TT bikes. I'm looking at possibly getting a used Quintana Roo Kilo (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/quintana-roo/kilo-2008-triathalon-bike-ec000973). It's at a good price but to be able to afford this I really have to sell my road bike. Is it a bad idea to do all my cycling on a TT bike or should I also have a road bike as well? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I think that it would be a bad idea, i have both a TT and road bike and i would not like to be out training every week on the TT bike especially in the winter. I find the TT bike is quicker but i prefer training on my road bike week in week out. you would be better off keeping the road bike and getting a set or aero bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DrMicrobe

Training for the Triathlone and just wondering where it is best to buy a wetsuit for a triathlon in the Dublin area? First triathlon
    +1 WHeelworx Clondakin.
    I just started traitahalon this year and paid a visit to WHeelworx Clondakin to buy my Swim Suit-I ended getting the "Zoot Fusion" (Around 280yoyos). If you do end up going there, look for a guy called James-absoulely soundest guy in there-he is a triathlete and so knows everything that you are going to need!! Regardless,who you get in there, they are all sound and really friendly.

On a seperate point, Ive been running for few months and I think Imay have piked up a knee injury- can bear no weight on my right knee, think its a muscle/ligament stretching all along the outside of the knee, basicaly stretching from bottom right area of my thigh to just below the right hand side of my knee. Hurts like a b%$£ch when I stretch it out on a chair and when I walk down a stairs-I know this aint a med/physio forum but has anybody exerienced this before while trainig for a triathalon-any advice for recovery???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

DrMicrobe wrote: »
    Hurts like a b%$£ch when I stretch it out on a chair and when I walk down a stairs-I know this aint a med/physio forum but has anybody exerienced this before while trainig for a triathalon-any advice for recovery???

Im sure lots have experienced similar difficulties, but all caused by different problems. Go see a qualified professional to help you; let's not move towards the murky darkness that could see this great thread locked! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

DrMicrobe wrote: »
    +1 WHeelworx Clondakin.
    On a seperate point, Ive been running for few months and I think Imay have piked up a knee injury- can bear no weight on my right knee, think its a muscle/ligament stretching all along the outside of the knee, basicaly stretching from bottom right area of my thigh to just below the right hand side of my knee. Hurts like a b%$£ch when I stretch it out on a chair and when I walk down a stairs-I know this aint a med/physio forum but has anybody exerienced this before while trainig for a triathalon-any advice for recovery???

+1 for going to see a physio. Only they can truly diagnose something like that.
    I did have ITBS (IlioTibial Band Syndrome)last year in my first year, with sympoms similar to yours, but some exercises from the physio were good and matched some of those found on the internet

kingQuez wrote: »
    Im sure lots have experienced similar difficulties, but all caused by different problems. Go see a qualified professional to help you; let's not move towards the murky darkness that could see this great thread locked! ;)

Excuse my ignoranceof everything internet and forum related but how could discusing an injury and not looking for medical advice get a thread closed?:confused: JUst for future reference.

Supply of medical advice implies a license to practice medicine and dispense solutions, which most of us don't have.
    Following such advice could be dangerous and could result in the person suing boards for providing incorrect advice.
    It's easier just to say go visit a doctor and that we can't dispense advice.
    It is a very grey area though.
    Usually only threads that are started looking for medical advice are closed.

tagoona wrote: »
    Supply of medical advice implies a license to practice medicine and dispense solutions, which most of us don't have.
    Following such advice could be dangerous and could result in the person suing boards for providing incorrect advice.
    It's easier just to say go visit a doctor and that we can't dispense advice.
    It is a very grey area though.
    Usually only threads that are started looking for medical advice are closed.

Fair Enough. Thanks for the heads up!!!:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Question:

1. Has anyone ever practiced their swim in their wetsuit....em... in the pool? Is it a big no-no?
    2. Are competitors for the super sprint normally novices or should i expect some tough competition? (Dublin Tri. Phoenix Park)

• Advertisement

Hi Catch88,
    You'll get some funny looks in the the pool, but if you ask at the desk, most places should have no problem with you wearing it. It'll feel awkward and funny though, with the extra buoyancy, until you get used to it.

Not sure what distance the super sprints are, but if it's anything like normal sprints, they can be very competitive. Like any tri though, you'll get a catch-all range, from the guys who finish it all by the time you finish a swim, to some housewife in a baggy t-shirt and a pair of shorts just out to give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Yep you will get some funny looks (their problem!) and you will sweat! Pools are generally heated so roasting inside a wetsuit may not be comfortable.

Do you have a lake or river nearby you could take a quick dip in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

First tri of the year and my 3rd ever this weekend in Ballina. Finally got in to the OW last night. Beautiful lake swim. Looking forward to Saturday to see if I can improve on last year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AngelCheeks

Hello All.... Good thread !

I am a bored runner who is looking for a challenge. I am going to do the Pulse Clogherhead Triathlon in August (my first one).

I usually run 60/70 miles a week so have built up a good fitness base. I am a strong swimmer (but not very fast). I used to cycle everywhere before I got a car but am out of practice on the swimming and cycling side.

Has anyone got advice on how much swimming and cycling training I should do every week?

I know I only have just over 4 weeks to go but I'm just looking at doing enough to get some enjoyment out of it.

Hello All.... Good thread !

I am a bored runner who is looking for a challenge. I am going to do the Pulse Clogherhead Triathlon in August (my first one).

I usually run 60/70 miles a week so have built up a good fitness base. I am a strong swimmer (but not very fast). I used to cycle everywhere before I got a car but am out of practice on the swimming and cycling side.

Has anyone got advice on how much swimming and cycling training I should do every week?

I know I only have just over 4 weeks to go but I'm just looking at doing enough to get some enjoyment out of it.

Do you have a bike and a wetsuit? When you last swam what kind of sitance wee you covering. Your unning should have a decent base to see you through the whole Tri but its just a matter of specific tweaking. What are the distances for each leg in that Tri?

pgibbo wrote: »
    First tri of the year and my 3rd ever this weekend in Ballina. Finally got in to the OW last night. Beautiful lake swim. Looking forward to Saturday to see if I can improve on last year. :D

How did you find the wetsuit in OW after all the Masters swimming in the pool? How would you rate your fitness and prep in comparison to this time last year?

MCOS wrote: »
    Do you have a bike and a wetsuit? When you last swam what kind of sitance wee you covering. Your unning should have a decent base to see you through the whole Tri but its just a matter of specific tweaking. What are the distances for each leg in that Tri?

Yeah I'm going to use my Fiancée’s bike. It's not perfect for racing but it is a very good and light bike. It will do until I see if I get the bug for Triathlon's. I have a wetsuit for surfing 3/2 which should be fine.

I did allot of swimming/ life saving when I was younger and have done some swimming sessions (covering around 40 lengths of a 25 meter pool) while injured from running. But as far as continuous swimming distance... mmm probably 15/20 lengths of a pool ! :o

The distances are 750m swim / 20K cycle / 5K run

Yeah I'm going to use my Fiancée’s bike. It's not perfect for racing but it is a very good and light bike. It will do until I see if I get the bug for Triathlon's. I have a wetsuit for surfing 3/2 which should be fine.

I did allot of swimming/ life saving when I was younger and have done some swimming sessions (covering around 40 lengths of a 25 meter pool) while injured from running. But as far as continuous swimming distance... mmm probably 15/20 lengths of a pool ! :o

The distances are 750m swim / 20K cycle / 5K run

Prob get the swimming back up then. (which would mean cutting back the running mileage) 2-3 swims a week until you are around the 700m mark. OW if possible. See how your legs are cycling too. Cycle up to an hour at least. Perhaps once a week do 45 mins bike 15 mins run. I'd imagine if you are putting in 60-70 miles a week your running legs will look after themselves you just need to get used to how your legs will feel after you get off the bike.

Just make sure you can cover the distance in each and don't put any pressure on yourself. Enjoy it, you will certainly know heaps after you do it what you need to work on if you decide to do another :)

Prob get the swimming back up then. (which would mean cutting back the running mileage) 2-3 swims a week until you are around the 700m mark. OW if possible. See how your legs are cycling too. Cycle up to an hour at least. Perhaps once a week do 45 mins bike 15 mins run. I'd imagine if you are putting in 60-70 miles a week your running legs will look after themselves you just need to get used to how your legs will feel after you get off the bike.

Just make sure you can cover the distance in each and don't put any pressure on yourself. Enjoy it, you will certainly know heaps after you do it what you need to work on if you decide to do another :)

Thanks for that advice MCOS, I appreciate it. Yeah deffo cut back on the running miles! I'll let you know how I get on :)

How did you find the wetsuit in OW after all the Masters swimming in the pool? How would you rate your fitness and prep in comparison to this time last year?

It felt a bit restricting initially. I guess it didn't help that my arms were heavy after 2k in the pool from earlier that morning. I only did 750m but felt good by the time the last 200m came around and picked it up a bit.

I definitely think my fitness levels are higher and my swimming is much better. I was only swimming 6 months this time last year. My runs are faster and the 5k series really helped. My 80k cycles are at the same speed that I did the 20k bike in the 2 sprint triathlons last year. So definitely seeing improvements in training. Hopefully that will (should) translate into faster times. Now to reproduce on race day! :D

• Advertisement

First event of the year done. Awesome event again by the Liquid Motion Club. great race and the food was excellent after. The massage was brilliant too. A big well done to them.

My apologies to anyone that was worried about the swim here. I had said on numerous occasions that it;s an easy swim. This year it was a lot tougher than previous years - not as much of a flow.

Personally I was very happy with how it went for me. I still need to improve on my bike times but overall I was nearly 8 minutes faster than last year in this event. Happy days! :D

How did everyone else fair out over the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Did Carrick on saturday.. good swim, good bike and terrible run. Looking at my calender here, hadn't run since the skerries tri with holidays and other stuff on :o No wonder it was so poor.

Anyone doing 'Clogherhead' in a few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭makker

mloc123 wrote: »
    Did Carrick on saturday.. good swim, good bike and terrible run. Looking at my calender here, hadn't run since the skerries tri with holidays and other stuff on :o No wonder it was so poor.

Anyone doing 'Clogherhead' in a few weeks?

Gonna give it a bash, will be my first tri of the season, like the idea that its a seaswim as opposed to freshwater

Had been unable to run for 14 weeks since Rotterdam with injury so will probably just looking to complete it. Went for my second run back yesterday and I've become deeply unfit but was also hungover, which probably did not help. Gonna use the next bray aquathon and phoenix park duathlon as prep races for it.

Really looking forward to been able to compete again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

hi guys

as most of you know i decided a couple of weeks ago to take on a tri as a challenge, I have picked Loughrea on the 13th as it is far enough away to get my training sorted.

am doing okay but my swimming has got worse, i can do a decent front crawl but struggle with the breathing, a trainer in the gym/pool did 15mins one evening and was doing okay but have gotten worse now getting panicky and cant even put my face in the water.

i am 35, female and i weigh 14st, 5ft 4" so am quite overweight but am working at it, i am a great one for ideas and have great notions of doing things but never complete them so after taking part in a 8 wk weight loss challenge i figured would give a tri a go.

found a 11 week training plan and am into week 3, going okay, this morning i ran 20mins (walked about 3mins) then swan 10 lengths of a 20m pool, after breakfast i cycled to work which is 3 miles and will cycle home at 1pm.

finding it okay but some days easier than others, so this morning one of the female trainers in the gym commented on my swimming and not putting my face into water and i told her am getting panicky not even able to take a breath now, i asked her would she do a couple of 1 2 1 lessons when i sort a bit of money, she said no bother that wouldnt take me long to get it sorted, but then she commented that if i only can manage 10lengths that how do i plan to do over 37lengths and basically said i wouldnt be able for the triathlon at all. this has really knocked me this morning and i feel daft now taking on such a challenge but i need to do this

question is am i fooling myself to think i could manage a tri by the 13th sept 09, there is a tri a tri but i would prefer to do a proper one.

probably not the right place for this but just need some motivation this morning or i will be getting a lift home via the shop for some chocolate!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think Loughrea is a down stream swim? I wouldn't worry too much about it... with the wetsuit on you could lie back and float down the 750m... Just keep at it for the next 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mainah

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    hi guys

am doing okay but my swimming has got worse, i can do a decent front crawl but struggle with the breathing, a trainer in the gym/pool did 15mins one evening and was doing okay but have gotten worse now getting panicky and cant even put my face in the water.

finding it okay but some days easier than others, so this morning one of the female trainers in the gym commented on my swimming and not putting my face into water and i told her am getting panicky not even able to take a breath now, i asked her would she do a couple of 1 2 1 lessons when i sort a bit of money, she said no bother that wouldnt take me long to get it sorted, but then she commented that if i only can manage 10lengths that how do i plan to do over 37lengths and basically said i wouldnt be able for the triathlon at all. this has really knocked me this morning and i feel daft now taking on such a challenge but i need to do this

question is am i fooling myself to think i could manage a tri by the 13th sept 09, there is a tri a tri but i would prefer to do a proper one.

You definitely aren't fooling yourself, you just need to get your confidence back in the water. Just be stubborn and keep trying! (Easier said than done, I know)

To practice breathing, hold on to the side of the pool and kick your feet out behind you (like superman). Then just practice putting your face in the water and blowing bubbles out. When you get comfortable doing that, try to breathe as you would during the full stroke - turn your head to breathe in, and blow out in a steady rhythm. Keep kicking your feet so your hips stay high (you might have to push against the wall to stop yourself...). You can also do this with a kickboard doing laps. Just take it slowly and step by step.

Good luck with it!

mloc123 wrote: »
    I think Loughrea is a down stream swim? I wouldn't worry too much about it... with the wetsuit on you could lie back and float down the 750m... Just keep at it for the next 2 months.

Loughrea is a lake swim, and a very nice one at that.

sfhawke7w, I think taking the pointers that Mainah and other people on here have posted with regard to swimming, coupled with some 1-2-1 lessons you will be fine. Stay positive and be pig headed about getting the swim sorted and you will get there. I have no doubt that if you put your mind to it you can complete Loughrea triathlon.

It's a good race and there's a great athmosphere there. If you are in Galway, some people from Galway Tri Club & Predator Tri Club use the lake for training sessions over the summer. Perhaps you could contact them in a few weeks when your swimming starts to come on.

Best of luck with it and stay positive.

Anybody doing Carna in 2 weeks?
    It was second ever tri last year and a real wake up call.
    Looking forward to seeing if there's any improvements!

tagoona wrote: »
    Anybody doing Carna in 2 weeks?
    It was second ever tri last year and a real wake up call.
    Looking forward to seeing if there's any improvements!

Yes, I am doing Carna. it will be my first Olympic distance event. Looking forward to it but dreading it also! :D

MCOS is also doing it.

I hope we get a good day weather wise. Nasty place to be on a bad day! :eek:

• Advertisement

Ah, I'll be behind the lot of ye.
    The swim in the bay is sheltered enough, the bike course is exposed, so we could have fun if it's windy, but it's not too bad from what I remember.
    The run though.
    I'm dreading that run already.Tougher than the kilkee run by a long shot.

Advertisement