Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 osgur

this is going to turn the swim into something similar to athy.... a 8 or 9 min float down the river.... instead of the 14/15 min slog I was looking for. Im far from great on the bike and was looking to gain some time in the swim.

Alot of guys will pass me out on the bike due to this.... morale sapping !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AngelCheeks

Has anyone ever experienced numbness / pins & needles in their fingers and toes while cycling?

If so is there anything that can be done about it?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi All,

I've been reading the post on and off. And remembering that I also couldn't swim when i started Tri's. I can totally relate to what some are going through....

I'm the organiser of the Eireman triathlon (for my sins...).
    I just thought it was worth mentioning that we have a Sprint distance race. And the way we are marking this course is that ppl should be able to stand up in the water all the way. I use the word 'should' as you can't guarntee that all 750m will be like such in the sea.
    Second thing is that its parallel to the shore so you ain't going to Wales and back. So if you don't like it - just swim in - then tell a race official you have dropped out of course!!

Maybe this would be one to consider.... if you haven't already swam in the Big Blue.... The date is 23rd August www.eireman.org

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Has anyone ever experienced numbness / pins & needles in their fingers and toes while cycling?

If so is there anything that can be done about it?

Cheers

From [url]www.cptips.com:[/url]

NUMB TOES/BURNING FEET

Numbness or burning of the feet is most commonly caused by compression of the nerves between the metatarsals (small bones under the ball of the foot). The most common causes are:

* tight shoes
    * road vibration
    * too much climbing (which puts continuous pressure on the bottom of the foot)

Riders with high arches or who overpronate are at risk as they experience more pressure on the ball of the foot.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

Quick fixes might include:

* moving your cleats 2 - 3 mm towards the rear of your shoe
    * loosening your foot straps
    * a different insole (either thinner if your shoe is too tight or more cushioned if you have room in the shoe)or custom footbed
    * a different sock (same comments as for the insole)
    * examine your shoe for irregular seams or straps/buckles that might be pressing against the outer edge of the forefoot
    * a wider (in the forefoot) pair of shoes or have a cobbler stretch yours

Some of the sensations in your hands can be similarly explained - inadequate cushioning from your bar tape/not wearing padded gloves. It may also be an idea to review your bike set up as you may need to support more upper body weight through your arms and hands than is ideal if you're set up incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AngelCheeks

Thanks for that Messed_up. Think I'll invest in some cycling gloves and have a look at my bike set up. Not sure about the shoes thou. I don't tie my laces and use my running shoes so they're very comfy. Maybe I'll try cushioned socks. Thanks again for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

hi guys

made a couple of calls this morning and spoke to a member of sligo tri club, there is swim training 3 nights a week in open water and any level of swimmer welcome, so going to go out this week, have been going boxing two nights a week but for the next few weeks i will just do wednesday night training.

so as well as that call made another regarding a wetsuit - and i got a brand new wetsuit with tags on it and all for €60.00, it is a gul wetsuit and will be sound now just have to get used to it.

had thought of changing to lough key but it is closed for entries so will have to go with loughrea, need to sort out accomodation and try and persuade the family to come with me as i dont want to cross the finish line and not have a familar face ready to catch when me i collapse :)

went swimming this afternoon, only did half hour today but am getting better with the breathing, the trainer says i look good and my technique is good so at least i know i am doing it right, really feeling good about it and today i just tried to relax. will need to swim most days as i need to get my lengths done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hi All,
    So I am doing Carna this weekend. It is my first Olympic event. Some of the lads here at work have me a bit worried about it. All I keep hearing is how tough the swim is, the bike will have a tough headwind on the way back and the run is a killer, AND it's tougher than Kilkee. :eek: it's a typically slow event due to the difficulty.

Anyone have first hand experience? I was hoping for a 2:40 type time but not sure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

Hi pgibbo.
    Did it last year as my second olympic and second ever tri.
    Swim is fine - dead flat last year.
    Transition is at the bottom of a hill. Make sure you have the bike in a high gear (or low gear - the one for going up hills anyway).
    Bike course isn't too bad, a bit exposed but not as many hills as Kilkee, from what I remember. You'll be grand (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3007045)
    Run course is tough, I won't lie. Out 5k and back. Well, I thought it was tough last year. We'll see how this year fares. The hill is long and you're tired. Last third is all downhill though. Briefing says the course is the same as last year. (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3006459)

tagoona wrote: »
    Hi pgibbo.
    Did it last year as my second olympic and second ever tri.
    Swim is fine - dead flat last year.
    Transition is at the bottom of a hill. Make sure you have the bike in a high gear (or low gear - the one for going up hills anyway).
    Bike course isn't too bad, a bit exposed but not as many hills as Kilkee, from what I remember. You'll be grand (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3007045)
    Run course is tough, I won't lie. Out 5k and back. Well, I thought it was tough last year. We'll see how this year fares. The hill is long and you're tired. Last third is all downhill though. Briefing says the course is the same as last year. (http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3006459)

Cheers tagoona. Hopefully the lads are just trying to physche me out of it. Been a fair bit of banter between us as they are doing it too. All I can do is gove it a good crack and see how it goes.

Best of luck on Saturday tagoona. What are you hoping for out there?

Best of luck to you pgibbo, and to everyone else on sat.
    As for what I'm hoping - not sure. 2h40 if I'm lucky i suppose. I'm fairly rubbish.
    I did 2'54 last year, but I took a huge break after Joey (May) until July when I decided to do Carna!
    What are you hoping for pgibbo?

• Advertisement

Same as that tagoona - rubbish too and hoping for a 2h40mins type time. Hard to call though as this is my first Olympic. Looking forward to it though. I just hope the weather picks up a bit. Very windy & wet in Galway at the moment. :(

Wet I can handle.
    Windy I'd rather not.
    It blistered down on us last year, so i suffered with the heat then.
    If it's not one thing, it's another, eh? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good luck to you both. Can't say I'm looking forward to this one on accounts of what I've heard about the run out of T2 but my aim is to beat my Kilkee time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

same aim for me! not gouign to have the ideal preparation for it, working in dublin until 9/10pm so not gona be to bed in galway until after 1!

MCOS- as a rising star we'll be expecting great things from you.

Notes to all from last year.
    leave yourself some time to get out there bambaata - I was going mad behind tractors and tourists on the clifden road last year.
    park at the school - register and then drive down further if you can. Schools on the right hand side as you go in.
    Swim exit is quite rocky, theres mats, but it's still mats over rocks.
    See you all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Saturday is suppose3d to be the nicest day of the week :)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/#

MCOS wrote: »
    Saturday is suppose3d to be the nicest day of the week :)

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/#

Now that would be great. Here's hoping they get it right for a change!!! :p

Fat chance of that though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

pgibbo wrote: »
    Now that would be great. Here's hoping they get it right for a change!!! :p
    sure they always get in right , how can you be wrong when your vague and cover everything 'maybe be scattered showers in some area , however could also be some sunny spells ' WTF !

Beautiful day here in Galway today. I think the MET office got their days mixed up!!! :( Hopefully it will last until around 3ish tomorrow! :cool:

• Advertisement

Fabulous here in shannon too. Makes me wish I wasn't resting until tomorrow.

So how did everyone do over the weekend?
    Happy?
    Weather was great in Carna, if a bit warm. We were haunted. 4pm the weather started to change, just after the prizegiving.

I thought the swim course was short, but I also heard rumours about people missing a buoy. I don't think I did though. My time was quick (24 mins) so not sure about how accurate the swim course was.
    That cycle was tougher than I remember. Quite hilly indeed.
    The run I did better than last year, which is all I can say about that *^&^&&"^ course. 9 mins better than last year overall. A lot done, more to do.

I enjoyed the course. A lot more than Kilkee anyway! My run was still woeful but overall i enjoyed it. I came in at 02:21:34 in 13th with two relays ahead.

I heard that the lead group of swimmers missed a buoy so they directed everyone the same way. I hoestly couldnt see another but i was more following people ahead. Disappointed that they couldn't get a different coloured swim hat cos both the buoys and hats were orange. My swim was 00:23:47 but i dont know how that rates as im not sure how short it was. I had a good quick transition and got over that initial climb and out on the road. I was flying on the bike for the first half. It was helped by a tailwind and good roads. I must have passed about 10 people before we went off the main road. The wind was tough enough then for the remainder of the course. At one point i thought my brakes were rubbing i was going so slow. Still though i posted a 32 min first 20km. I decided i'd hold back a bit for the final 10/15km of the bike as i didnt ewant to overdo it. I still passed about 10/15 more people and wasnt passed by anyone. In the end i posted a 01:11:09 bike which was 9th best. Happy with that especially considering i held back a bit in the final 10/15km.

T2 was uneventful and off i went on the run. That climb out of the harbour is just cruel! I don't know if i found Kilkee or Carna worse. They were both horrible in their own ways. I would probably say Carna was a harder run as there were steeper sections. That run back up to the water station was horrible. Again i wasnt happy with the run but that was to be exopected as i've run a total of 4 times since Kilkee and none on hilly terrain. My run in the end was 00:45:03.

I enjoyed the race overall and will most likely go back next year. It was my 3rd Olympic distance and the first i am happy enough with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Nice report Bambaata! Good time too. good work to yourself and tagoona

Good read there Bambaata. Well done on a great time. Congrats also to tagoona and MCOS. Good meeting you at the weekend MCOS. Well done on winning a prize also. Another rock solid performance.

I was happy with how I went. I was hoping for a 2:40 time and did 2:40:26 so happy enough. I went wayward on the swim and was redirected by a marshall so that didn't help. I also found it very hard to sight the buoys. The orange swim hats didn't help. Still not happy with my cycling but it is getting better. Just need more time on the bike. I just realised last week that I have only had 1.27 cycles per week since January 1st. P*ss poor really. I will have to address that pronto! I enjoyed the run and felt very strong on it. The hills were a pig though. Making us run down that hill to circle the bollard is sadistic! :D

All in all, very happy with having completed my first Olympic distance event. :cool:

How do people rate this event, in terms of difficulty, with others around the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Im supposed to go out to Bull Island for the novice swim practice that the Gatorade Tri. organised but I still think my wetsuit is too tight. :mad:

According to the size chart it should fit perfect but im having a hard time zipping up the back. *sigh*

Any advice on making it looser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

catch88 wrote: »
    Im supposed to go out to Bull Island for the novice swim practice that the Gatorade Tri. organised but I still think my wetsuit is too tight. :mad:

According to the size chart it should fit perfect but im having a hard time zipping up the back. *sigh*

That's completely normal. Part of any pre-race activity at triathlons includes people turning to you and getting you to zip up their wet suit.

I have only once managed to zip my own wet suit up so that would be normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

I've never managed to zip up mine, and it is great in the water.

Just make sure you have it pulled up nicely and then get somebody next to you to zip it up while you stretch up your arms about your head.

Here is Chris McCormack (2007 Ironman champion) showing you how it is done, he also gets somebody to zip him up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHw_TkFEdE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

Is this swim open to everyone or just those signed up for the tri? Need a few more OW sessions before Clogherhead in a forthnight

Advertisement