Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'First Time Triathlete' - The Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hey. I'm headign there myself this Wednesday/Thursday/Friday for a swim before work (6:30/7) if you want to come along. Thats the next time the tide looks like it will allow swimming at that time. Perfect start to the day before hitting the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

messed_up wrote: »
    Is this swim open to everyone or just those signed up for the tri? Need a few more OW sessions before Clogherhead in a forthnight

Its just for novices that have signed up as far as I know (you have to email confirmation of your place.)

Ive never done anything like this in my life so I think we might cramp your style :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Bambaata, great result out of you. That was a very solid bike. The first 5km with a tailwind really suited the TT bikes I heard as you could get up a good speed and maintain it with low wattage. Noticed you also had a very nice swim leg too ;)

pgibbo and Tagoona, well done on both of your races nice to meet you both too

Yep...twas a tough one indeed but a very nice event I have to say and definitely (as painful as the run was) a planned return visit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hi Guys, just wondering if there are any tri-clubs in south county Dublin that do OW swims, and are welcoming of new/beginner swimmers? I've been down to the 40 foot a few times recently to get used to swimming in open water, but if I'm to have any chance of participating in the Lough Key Sprint, I need to pick it up a notch and get out in the sea more regularly with a wetsuit.

Where is the ''Ladies changing stand'' on Bull island btw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

catch88 wrote: »
    Where is the ''Ladies changing stand'' on Bull island btw?

Think its on the bull road about 500 yards once you cross the bridge. Its just a bit of a pavillion I think

MCOS wrote: »
    Bambaata, great result out of you. That was a very solid bike. The first 5km with a tailwind really suited the TT bikes I heard as you could get up a good speed and maintain it with low wattage. Noticed you also had a very nice swim leg too ;)

pgibbo and Tagoona, well done on both of your races nice to meet you both too

Yep...twas a tough one indeed but a very nice event I have to say and definitely (as painful as the run was) a planned return visit :)
    Thanks MCOS. Yeah my swim went well. I found open water with nobody bashing me and got into a nice rhythm. I know it was short so i wont be getting complacent with my swim. It still needs a lot of work, as does the bike and as does the run :P

Good to meet you at the end too. Pity i didn't catch other boardsies but im sure there'll be other races where ye'll be too.

If anyone is looking to head OW swimming with others tomorrow i'm heading with two friends for 7am at Bull Island. Fingers crossed the tide is ok! I'll also prob be heading there for the same time Thursday and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tritrier

Bambaata,

I did Carna too at the weekend - although at a much slower pace than yourself.

Were there supposed to be 5 buoys on the swim, I swam around 4 after missing the 3rd and going back to swim around it. I couldn't see another one though.

I swear i must be the only person doing the Gatorade Dub. Tri since i never see anyone talking about it on Boards. :o

Tritrier wrote: »
    Bambaata,

I did Carna too at the weekend - although at a much slower pace than yourself.

Were there supposed to be 5 buoys on the swim, I swam around 4 after missing the 3rd and going back to swim around it. I couldn't see another one though.
    tbh i cant remember how many i went past I certainly dont think it was 5 though.

• Advertisement

I swear i must be the only person doing the Gatorade Dub. Tri since i never see anyone talking about it on Boards. :o
    Im doing it too. Doing the olympic distance, looking forward to it as it was my first ever olympic distance last year and i'm hoping to take at least 10 mins off my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone doing clogherhead in 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

mloc123 wrote: »

Signed up the other day as I need to get a sea swim under race conditions done before I attempt the Courtown HIM, also debating on signing up for the Dublin City Tri the following week as it is one the familly can easily get to see me finish. - It will be a busy month with 1 sprint tri, 1 OD, 1 HIM, 1 10 mile race and 1 Duathlon. Yikes

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

mloc123 wrote: »

I'm in for this one too. Route looks nice. Hopefully the sea will be calm-ish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

No, I'm doing it as well. Just packing up the wetsuit for tonight's practice. Brrr it looks cold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

bakedbean wrote: »
    No, I'm doing it as well. Just packing up the wetsuit for tonight's practice. Brrr it looks cold!!

I'm also in for this one. Finishing an olympic tri is my main goal for the summer!

I'm sick at the moment, otherwise I'd of been out for the swim tonight too. I'm a little concerned about swimming upstream in the liffey.. is the current strong does anyone know? I hadn't even considered it much before the triathlone sprint.. I had assumed once I could do the distance in a pool that I'd be fine :rolleyes:

With the spare time of being off training for a few days I finally watched the two races in hamburg that were on setanta over the weekend -- the run shoemaker put in was impressive!

kingQuez wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned about swimming upstream in the liffey.. is the current strong does anyone know? I hadn't even considered it much before the triathlone sprint.. I had assumed once I could do the distance in a pool that I'd be fine :rolleyes:

That's what i thought before i went to practice tonight and was out of breath fighting the choppiness of the water. Must have stopped 4 times to finish 250 m :rolleyes:

Will be practicing out in the open water from now on. The pool just gives me a false sense of security with respect to how far and fast i can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Couple of questions. Where in Dublin can I get a reasonably priced tri suit and also what are you supposed to wear under it along the lines of underwear???

no underwear needed under a trisuit. prob best you dont wear anything or you could chaff! Try wheelworx in Clondalkin or cyclesuperstore in tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭bakedbean

That's what i thought before i went to practice tonight and was out of breath fighting the choppiness of the water. Must have stopped 4 times to finish 250 m :rolleyes:

Will be practicing out in the open water from now on. The pool just gives me a false sense of security with respect to how far and fast i can go.

I was the same but defo feel more confident re the swim/ transitions now. If there are any Piranha triathletes on this thread, thanks very much for the advice and your spare time last night!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 AngelCheeks

messed_up wrote: »
    I'm in for this one too. Route looks nice. Hopefully the sea will be calm-ish!

Yeah I'm doing it too... it's my first one! Really looking forward to it :D Although I need to get a sea swim in this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

some swim advice from those in for the Dublin Tri

The portion of the swim heading upstream is an annual cause of concern - and rightly so - for those who havent done much OW swimming or have had the pleasure of the swim before.

The golden rule is stick as tight to the river bank as you can (without getting yourself into reeds, brush etc obviously) to avoid the current in the middle. The strenght of the current downstream is dictated by the amount of rain fall the week or so before the race. Piranhatri have run this race for a while now over the same course and ARE NOT going to put anyone in harms way.
    When you get to the turnaround and head back downstream - sticking to the middle of the river and catching as much help from the flow is obviously the best way to take on the second half of the swim.

In addition to sticking to the side of the river on the way up its important to try to relax, get your breathing going and try to keep your swimming form with good leg kick to help you on your way.

If you can get one OW swim in each week - in addition to pool time - it'll give you the confidence and ability to relax when you do hit the river on race day. This in itself will help you put your body in the right position to swim strongly.

Hope some of this helps. Ive had the pleasure of taking part in the event before and my advice is to enjoy it and see it as an opportunity - its not every day you get to swim in the (Upper) liffey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Couple of questions. Where in Dublin can I get a reasonably priced tri suit and also what are you supposed to wear under it along the lines of underwear???

You could go for a pair of tri shorts which are like cycle shorts but with a thinner, quicker-drying chamois. I got a pair for 40 euro in Cycle Superstore in Tallaght. I just wore a normal running singlet. I wore both of these under my wetsuit for the first time and transition was great. Much quicker than trying to change clothes etc.

I think a full tri-suit costs around 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

interested wrote: »
    some swim advice from those in for the Dublin Tri

The portion of the swim heading upstream is an annual cause of concern - and rightly so - for those who havent done much OW swimming or have had the pleasure of the swim before.

The golden rule is stick as tight to the river bank as you can (without getting yourself into reeds, brush etc obviously) to avoid the current in the middle.

At all costs avoid touching the reeds and the bank. Better to be slow than sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

tunney wrote: »
    At all costs avoid touching the reeds and the bank. Better to be slow than sick.

Yuck. Weils disease or something more sinister?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Could anyone recommend good spots in the south Dublin area to practice open water swimming where you can get some good distances done?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seapoint is fairly good. There's a 600m and 1km leg depending on which wall you swim to. Also South Bull Wall is meant to be an okay place for a distance swim.

If the tide is out, then the Forty Foot isn't a bad option.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Stark wrote: »
    Seapoint is fairly good. There's a 600m and 1km leg depending on which wall you swim to. Also South Bull Wall is meant to be an okay place for a distance swim.

If the tide is out, then the Forty Foot isn't a bad option.

Thanks for the tip!

One more thing - Can anyone recommend a good book(s) for nutrition; ideally both during races and in general, but just in general would do!

jeepers101 wrote: »

Speedos - help support tackle. Either them or nothing.

• Advertisement

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip!

One more thing - Can anyone recommend a good book(s) for nutrition; ideally both during races and in general, but just in general would do!

Paleo diet for athletes - a diet that is next to impossible to follow properly but the book will still give you great information. I've a few upstairs on nutrition, will fish them out and let you know what they are. Actually I've a load of crap to get rid of (need the room), so may well be flogging them here :)

Advertisement