Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Lessons

Options
  • 20-02-2009 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Do people look for computer lessons / training these days? People may not have the money..

I have over 10 experience in IT and was thinking of trying to earn extra cash in these hard times. I was thinking of putting add in paper and see what the response is.
    Would be in Galway so I doubt there would be much interest. Would you give lessons in your home or theirs?

What are peoples views?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure put an add up with you areas of expertise and what qualification you may have. If you have some work in the field mention that too.

Maybe a few notes in the supermarkets too? "Computer problems fixed or no charge" or whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just remember it helps if you're a good teacher too. I know plenty of people with tonnes of I.T. skills but can't explain things in simple laymen terms to others that don't.
    Also you need to willing to set a fee and stick to it. When your selling a product it's easier cause you know there was a cost in obtaining it, putting a cost on your time takes a little be more determination.

Other than that go for it. The expense to put an ad in a paper or a one of those local guides that get dropped through your letter box and a few notes up in supermarkets and the likes is not gonna leave ya in a huge debt. Just don't go out leasing a 3 stroy building and stocking it with PCs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lola1

Just jumping in to this topic now. I'm wondering if there is anyone in the south Dublin area who might have expertise in Windows 10? I'm tearing my hair out at the moment trying to get it set up the way i want it, especially my emails. I would love to know if there is someone who might come to my house and go through it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I've tried something similar a few years ago teaching programming . Did flyers , put up in local shops , I did not get one call.

Most people don't care about computers, as long as they watch youtube and check e-mail they will muddle their way through with the rest.

Anyway there plenty of good tutorials on line for most computer related subjects

such as some ask about e-mail in windows 10 https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=set%20e-mail%20up%20in%20windows%2010

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭lola1

Many thanks for that reply. Not sure if I can sort out my problem with a tutorial but I'll check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭ozmo

I have over 10 experience in IT and was thinking of trying to earn extra cash in these hard times. I was thinking of putting add in paper and see what the response is.
    ... Would you give lessons in your home or theirs?

If you have spare time and skills - why not try something like

https://www.fiverr.com/categories/programming-tech/support-it-services/#layout=auto&page=1

A friend did a few gigs to try it out - can be easy or hard depending on what work you take on.

Also - not a paying job - but if you just want to teach - CoderDojo are always looking for Mentors.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

ozmo wrote: »

Also - not a paying job - but if you just want to teach - CoderDojo are always looking for Mentors.

True , I mentor in two and it is highlight of my week.

Advertisement