Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Light House B&W Crop

• 20-02-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I have been trying out new editing software. Here is my first try C&C Welcome.

Original straight from the camera
    IMG_6559.jpg

B&W Crop
    BWConversion.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

The black and white certainly a much more moody and atmospheric shot. It is a shame that muchof the lighthouse is in shadow as it blends a little into the background. I would consider slightly lightening the shadows and increasing the contrast to bring the lighthouse out a little just be careful not to blow the highlights in the clouds. The dark sky detail really is nice in this shot and adds some almost stormy drama which is perfect for a lighthouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I like the crop. Not sure about the b&w though. Especially the sky looks...unreal. On the other hand the wires look almost interesting in b&w.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

To be honest, i think the first image is stronger than the BandW conversion. The actual Light House itself doesn't have any natural light falling on it, other than at the very edge of the tower end itself, so in the conversion it comes out quite gray and almost blends into grass in front of it and clouds behind it. It basically loses any punch that it had in the colour version.

Is there an option your software that allows you to push the "temp" in the shot....i have used similar options in other programs to add, for want of a better term, more sunlight to a shot and bring up the colours a little bit?

It might be an option to either explore it more in colour, trying to bring out the grass and the sky and bit more and seperating the subject from the setting that way, or maybe pushing the temp a bit and then converting over the BandW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bocha

it definitely benefits from the crop - i like it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The crop works well.

The B&W conversion is not great. It looks like a simple desaturation & lacks contrast. The highlight of the sky draws the eye straight to it. I think that the lighthouse being underexposed is not making things easy for you. You may be able to do more if you have the RAW file to work from & then play around with channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

CabanSail wrote: »
    The crop works well.

The B&W conversion is not great. It looks like a simple desaturation & lacks contrast. The highlight of the sky draws the eye straight to it. I think that the lighthouse being underexposed is not making things easy for you. You may be able to do more if you have the RAW file to work from & then play around with channels.

I agree. The crop is good, and the B+W would work well to create a more striking and atmospheric photo. But, the conversion is a bit dull (desaturated). As CabanSail says, needs a boost in contrast and highlights. Mess around with it some more and you will have a very nice shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭MREGAN

Cheers guys for the comments. What I was trying to achieve was that darkness storm like condition. Like the storm is just moving across the lighthouse and hence puting it in the shadows. I will try tonight see if I can come up with something that makes the lighthouse stand out more

Cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

I agree with all above. It benefits from the crop but the foreground and lighthouse needed to be highlighted more and more contrast would help in the BW conversion
    Hope you don't mind- I had a little play around in PS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

If it's a raw file try making a hdr photo out of it.
    The lighthouse itself is a little underexposed for me, so hdr may be beneficial.

Advertisement