Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad options with 2.2

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I think a 2.1 is pretty much out of the question for me, does anyone know if there are many options available for doing a masters if you haven't gotten a 2.1 or better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

The Film Production MA accepts people with a 2.2 but you'll need to apply with a portfolio to strengthen your case if you're going for it.

Here's a link http://www.ucd.ie/englishanddrama/film/film_masters_production.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My post from another thread...........

It seems there's some flexibility. I asked a professor about the cognitive science MA programme and he told me (as did the course website) that the general requirement is a 2:1, but he also told me that this is not set in stone.

I was enquiring because I'm on a 2:2 at the moment, and was wondering about my options. He said that there was currently people taking the MA who got a 2:2 and even lower (ie. pass) at undergrad level. In these cases it's up to the student to account for their lacklustre performance during their undergrad.

So I guess (a) it depends on the course, (b) how over/under-subscribed it is, and (c) exceptions can be made.

You'll need to convince those responsible for admittance that you are capable and willing to complete the programme to the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

They will accept a 2.2. in most courses if they have space BUT if you intend on going on academically a 2.2 in your degree will look quite bad, and at interviews be enough to put you in the sin bin right away. If it is just the MA you want I imagine if you apply broadly you'll get into something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The replys here are good. I'd add the smaller colleges such as Milltown accept 2.2's but their masters are accredited in British Colleges I think, but it means the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ceisteanna

Cheers guys, appreciate the help. It's a pity I've sold myself short when I'm well able to get top marks, but what's done is done! Nice to know I have options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

Just going from what I know from people that have done/are doing Masters courses, here are a few that will accept you with a 2:2.
    Masters in Management (Smurfit) it's available to non business students too. The Ma in many of the smaller areas will accept people with 2:2's eg Irish History, History of Irish Art etc... If you wish to get in to an MBs or something in Engineering/Science I think a 2:1 is usually the minimum requirement but should you be fairly active in other areas within the college then you will still have a decent chance. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Assets Model

You can do the solicitors exams with a pass degree although it might be hard to get an apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've heard about people asking for references from lecturers when going on to do a postgrad. What's the story with that? Is it important?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I've heard about people asking for references from lecturers when going on to do a postgrad. What's the story with that? Is it important?
    I applied a few weeks ago for 2 politics masters, had to get references for them. I just emailed a couple of lecturers from last semester, said that I needed a reference and they did them up for me. Including the references didn't seem to be optional from what I could gather, not sure if every school/course looks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yeh a lot of postgrad course applications require references, I don't think though that if you're applying within UCD that they don't require references I'm not sure on this one though. I was apply for a postgrad in trinity and on the referee forms (yeh forms for your possible referees to fill out) they ask "Please estimate in which of the following categories you would rank the candidate's performance in relation to the students you have taught over the last 5 years" Top 2%, Top 5%, Top 10%, Top 25%, Other Top_%. Most Arts postgrads in UCD though accept people with 2.2's, you'd just have to write a lot of BS on why you would be great on this course etc...

• Advertisement
Advertisement