Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portfolio help?

• 20-02-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Been crazy busy with college. I got an email from Tallaght IT the other day inviting me to interview for 2nd year of their creative multimedia degree. I *really* want this. I have a few days to put a portfolio together. I'm pretty ok with most of the stuff, but photography is one of the 4 core subjects and I don't study it in my current course, so I was hoping you guys would help me with the selection. I have it whittled down to the last few. I'll be submitting three photos I think (I think 15 images in total is a good portfolio number?). I shot some film in Kilmainham jail last weekend (its amazing having free access - lots of beautiful empty spooky places) so I'm hoping to do some darkroom work on Sunday and print one of those. In case I didn't get anything worthwhile though could you please pick three from these? I'm trying to get a range of styles. They cover digital and film, all styles there..

Or if any of you think there's something better on my pixie that I'm overlooking?

Thanks all - I'm nervous and really appreciate any input..

Studio:
    D6503CF7CBC249B58A7B8C1CE80F97BD-800.jpg

Gig:
    EF25E0D15BD24A71A05FDB142255AF13-800.jpg

Still life:
    D19F24F4004B4DE7906245D4815F7064-800.jpg

9987E051B883477C8DA4FCD2BC109CA4-800.jpg

Ones I like:
    D4706176638D4BCBB9DC82F287C00BC7-800.jpg

D71F01C9D0674192B94FC99AA9D48A55-800.jpg

They'll all be printed A4(ish) and mounted on A3 black mount.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Sorry, can't see images at work :eek:

I'd consider white mounts though, as the show off photos much better imo. Your photo of the Ape (Maggie ?) for instance would look much better on white imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think you've a brilliant set of images there. I especially like the studio/model image and the still life, clock.

Some of your images have dark/black backgrounds, and some are very white. Why not use a white mount for the dark images, and a black mount for the white ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Yeah Covey I agree. I've been mounting on white mount the last while. Problem is I'll be mounting my other work on black as a lot of it is logos, screenshots and stuff on plain white paper. Unless I mix the mount colours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

lol - thanks Paul. I guess its ok to mix then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't know about the rules, etc for your project.

But, my guess is that you want to do whatever will enhance your photos most, to draw attention to them. While the majority of your images are not B&W, the tones are quite B&W in nature. Using a white mount on a dark image will just focus attention in on the image, and using a black mount on the white background images will do the same.

I can't really see why you shouldn't/wouldn't use a mix of black and white mounts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 bocha

the first three are my favs - but they're all very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Really good set Sinead, I'd say you'll have no problems jumping into 2nd year!

#1,3,4 & 5 really stand out

As I said above I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting in, but best of luck with it. Hope you get it !!

Advertisement