Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Sweet 16

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Just noticed on the tv listings that the Super Sweet 16 that was filmed in Kilkenny last year is being broadcast this coming Sunday night at 9.30pm on MTV.

Should be worth a look/laugh.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh this should be funny....I'm curious will our hip, cool, down with it friend from the last thread who got banned be back for this thread :)

They were not happy about how "the man" didn't like the super cool party idea
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Cabaal wrote: »
    Oh this should be funny....I'm curious will our hip, cool, down with it friend from the last thread who got banned be back for this thread :)

They were not happy about how "the man" didn't like the super cool party idea
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:pac:
    Infraction totally worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought that was broadcast already last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Nope, it was recorded last year...

We had to wait ALL this time to actually see it.

It might actually appear on the MTV website before Sunday, if you can't contain yourself to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd rather put pins in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

I'm guessing as there have been no further comments that everybody found it to be as inane as I did?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Didn't see it, I guess people have better things to do then watch muppets wasting money? :)

Wouldn't mind seeing it just so I can see how retarded they are :pac:

Had a search on the net, I'll be damned if I can find anything on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

The Lorcan one was well worth watching: http://www.mtv.co.uk/overdrive/id/99623

I actually harbour the deepest pity and embaressment for these people. I was exploited for adults' entertainment on a "Kids say the Darndest things!" type show back in the 80's when I was but a child and I was none too impressed with it since. It's unfair to do that.

But these people are effectively adults. SS16 is cleverly edited to make the protogonist, her patronage and contemporaries look even more spasticated than they (probably) already are. And making people look spasticated on international television is unfair.

Most self respecting parents wouldn't sign up for this if they'd seen an episode of it in advance. Most probably think it's an innocent Kids' music show. Or something.

But c'est la vie. The kids knew damn well what it was all about, and they elected to appear on it, so they have to live in the dark shadow of contempt from their peers. Maybe they don't care about looking like complete mongoloids in front of the Nation, but if they do they probably deserve it.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Most self respecting parents wouldn't sign up for this if they'd seen an episode of it in advance. Most probably think it's an innocent Kids' music show. Or something.

I'd imagine MTV pay them a few euro's as well though, say MTV give them 5k its handy money for the parents/kid or whoever is allowing it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I wouldn't sell my soul or reputation to MTV if they offered me 1,000,000 Euros:D

• Advertisement

Asmodean wrote: »
    I wouldn't sell my soul or reputation to MTV if they offered me 1,000,000 Euros:D

These people have no self respect and are to thick or greedy to care though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

wat an obnoxious little ..............

"i dont think there is any huskies in ireland lorcan" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

i didn't see this programme but someone told me that the little princess was taken by copter from her house in Pucellsinch (opposite the entrance Cillin Hill) to her B-day in Lyrath.
    folks, a quarter mile journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

fabbydabby, can you give me a link to the of rest of the show? Only can watch the first ~10 mins or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Anyone got a link to the new show yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Christ, the poor parents. God love them raising him ;)
    And they just appear normal joe soaps. Just a drama queen, pity him :P

Good tv though :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

"Exclusive" meal me arse :D. They went to a normal hotel for dinner ffs

In the Kilkenny Advertiser there is a small piece about them and how they are actually hardworking people, most people should or have realised that the show is scripted and she doesnt have much choice in what happens etc etc.. Also, in the editing the show is butchered to bits so the aim is pretty much to make them look snobby and stuck up!

Wow that was a quick reply!
    apparantly though, they left out some of the really good bits -according to people that were there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

KatCookie wrote: »
    In the Kilkenny Advertiser there is a small piece about them and how they are actually hardworking people, most people should or have realised that the show is scripted and she doesnt have much choice in what happens etc etc.. Also, in the editing the show is butchered to bits so the aim is pretty much to make them look snobby and stuck up!

It is obviously scripted and anyone who thinks that what we see is real needs to have a long hard look at what they believe is reality.

After the invites were handed out during the show they show two girls almost in tears because they had known the girl for years and couldn't believe they weren't invited. During the actual party the same girl is shown saying it is the best party ever and she's having the best time :rolleyes:

A guy I work with was featured on the show a lot and he explained to me that the whole thing was completely scripted and that at times he was even told to start arguments to make the birthday girl look more spoiled or to cause drama.

I don't know the girl on the show personally but I have met her a few times as she comes into the shop where I work a lot. She is always completely polite and comes across as very shy. She is definitely nothing like the girl who was portrayed on the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Of course it's scripted, and contrived, everyone knows that. However, I don't doubt for a second that they knew what they were getting themselves into when they signed up for it.

So they are to blame really, for letting MTV edit the show to make them look like 'tards, even if they aren't.

Regardless of letting MTV edit the show that way, I'm sure its in the contract that they can't stop MTV from editing it the way they want.

The problem still is with the family/kids as they willingly allowed MTV into the party and agreed to allow them to film the show...yet I'm sure they've seen the show before.

Did they think that MTV would edit/produce the show any different then the rest, did they think MTV would make them look good?

stupid people imho

I dount that she liked the outcome of the show, regardless of her personality and of all those who go on the show, no-one likes to be portrayed as a spoilt young wan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brangelina

Oh My Lord, t.v hasnt entertained me so much in a while. i laughed through out the whole thing! ah no though i feel for these girls, theyve been spoilt rotten all their lives! and the land rover?? shes 16?? she cant drive in Ireland! are these people stupid??

Well, maybe you are, she didnt get the Land Rover, its all for the Show (obviously) it was on loan!!
    EDIt: Sorry, a bit rude perhaps, my apologies, i've already had this conversatin with my mother this morning!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I dount that she liked the outcome of the show, regardless of her personality and of all those who go on the show, no-one likes to be portrayed as a spoilt young wan

Most likely. When you go on Reality shows like this you should expect to come out looking like an ass. Claudia or whatever her name was probably watches [or watched] this show on a regular basis. She should have known she would have been made to come across as a spoiled rich bitch [I am not passing judgement on her personally btw] and her parents would come off like complete buffoons that would giver their "little princess" whatever she wants.

Btw. When did boys start going crazy for "Sweet 16" birthdays? Back when I was 16 [17 years ago] your 16th birthday was just a regular birthday for boys. And you didn't even dare call it a sweet 16.

Boys werent really going crazy, its all for the camera's!!

Boys werent really going crazy, its all for the camera's!!

True but as I said 16th Birthdays were just normal birthdays. They weren't called "Sweet 16" only girls had those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

The Sweet 16 thing is HUGE in the States cause you can start driving over there from that age.

MTV in their wisdom have copied the format from the States to Europe without it actually being a landmark birthday.

Super Sweet 21st doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Plus you would hope, that at 21, the people wouldn't agree to do the show.

• Advertisement

I grew up in the States. Sweet 16 was never big for boys [or they never called it their sweet 16 in fear of being called gay] we just went to the DMV got our learner's permits, went home, opened our presents ate some cake and had a small party. Nothing like on that show.

Advertisement