Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seen my Dream Home

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have spotted my dream home and I really want to get it, I think I might be able to get it for 350k and I can get the mortgage together for this as a first time buyer. My problem is my wife has her own house(my name is not on her house), its up for sale at the moment and should shift as its at a very good price and she owes very little on it. My question is, should if the situation arose that I needed to buy it myself without her help, is this a good/bad thing to do.

Obviously only my name would be going on it, my problem is I just dont want to miss out on it and I'm afraid I might lose out to another first time buyer, who would not be in a chain.

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

bullvine wrote: »
    Hi,

I have spotted my dream home and I really want to get it, I think I might be able to get it for 350k and I can get the mortgage together for this as a first time buyer. My problem is my wife has her own house(my name is not on her house), its up for sale at the moment and should shift as its at a very good price and she owes very little on it. My question is, should if the situation arose that I needed to buy it myself without her help, is this a good/bad thing to do.

Obviously only my name would be going on it, my problem is I just dont want to miss out on it and I'm afraid I might lose out to another first time buyer, who would not be in a chain.

thanks,

My thoughts are, firstly you’re not a first time buyer anymore as your married to a person who has a house. And secondly no bank will grant a mortgage to a married person without their spouse also being on the mortgage.

If you’re separated or divorced then that's a different matter

So you better factor stamp duty into your calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Agree with above. If you get it for 350k add stamp of €15,750 as not a FTB

Advertisement