Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got no job so going back to school

Options
  • 20-02-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭

I am an over 23 year old with a Diploma in Architectural Technology. I have just been made redundant and the job prospects here in the west dont look so good. I have applied for a couple of jobs but I'm either over qualified in completely the wrong field or under qualified in the right one.

For the last 5 years I have been solely involved in architecture but I have done facory work, labouring and general mechanical maintenance in the past and wouldnt mind going back to that. Unfortunately there isnt alot of that going around either. I'm not holding out much hope for a job but looking at the bright side I now have the chance to up skill myself in time for the next cycle.

I am looking to do a full time course in a local IT (GMIT or ITS) diploma or maybe degree in something completely different. I am married with my own house and as of next friday unemployed. Is there any particular place I should go to get advice on grants, benefits and general freebies. I have read some of the posts (thanks myth:D) and have got alot of info but would feel more comfortable talking to somebody in person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hi Slig,

Following me through my forums now are you? :D

It would do no harm to get an appointment at your local IT and get a feel of what they have and what you're entitled to. They might also point you in the direction of something beneficial to you based on your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Slig wrote: »
    Is there any particular place I should go to get advice on grants, benefits and general freebies. I have read some of the posts (thanks myth:D) and have got alot of info but would feel more comfortable talking to somebody in person.

Hi Slig. Every county has an adult guidance service run usually through the VEC. The one-to-one career and educational guidance is usually reserved for certain target groups but they also provide information and advice on returning to learning for adults to the general public. They can research course options for you as well as help you with queries about funding and financial assistance.

This link http://www.ncge.ie/adult_details.htm gives contact details of all these services nationally.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Advertisement