Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapture and them crazy Americans.

• 20-02-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

More Stastics.
    Princeton Research Poll, of a general section of Americans asked did they believe will the world end as described in the book of revelation.
    • 40% of American adults generally
    • 45% of Christian adults
    • 71% of Evangelical Protestants
    • 28% of non-Evangelical Protestants
    • 18% of Roman Catholics

The Pew Research Center released a study called "Americans look to the 21st century." They confirmed the Princeton poll, finding
    • 44% believed that Jesus will probably return during their lifetime.
    • 22% said that Jesus will definitely return before 2050 CE.
    • 44% believed that Jesus will probably not return during their lifetime.

If Jeruselem was replaced by a mushroom cloud tomorrow, I reckon these very people would see a silver lining around it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Some what surprised the figures are so low?

Shouldn't all Christians believe the world is going to end as described in the Bible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

And I for one welcome the oncoming rapture. There wll be less people to denounce evolution once it happens. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Galvasean wrote: »
    And I for one welcome the oncoming rapture. There wll be less people to denounce evolution once it happens. :)

And fewer people to pedantically correct grammar, too ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Perhaps many religious think that Revelation's "end of the world" story is like, just a metaphor. A bit like that genesis story at the other end of the same book?

And anyway, shouldn't people who think they're going to be "raptured" avoid driving cars, flying planes, working as surgeons, lollipop ladies and so on? Seems a tad irresponsible to me to acquire a beliefset that you know will bounce you into the sky at a random moment, leaving your kids/passengers/patient/whatever to fend for themselves.

Makes belief in talking snakes look quite normal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

And fewer people to boldly split infinitives that have never been split before :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Some would seem small. 40% of all adults, with a voter turnout of just over 55% it's still quite a substantial amount. Assuming this 40% believe in inerrancy I'd say it's quite significant.

71% of evangelicals? No suprises there.

The real shocker is 68% of those who believe, believe it will happen in the next 40 years. That's the pension plan out the window anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wicknight wrote: »
    Some what surprised the figures are so low?

Shouldn't all Christians believe the world is going to end as described in the Bible?

Theres a good deal of debate regarding the actual biblical basis for the whole "rapture" concept.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture
    Its bloody scant, as far as I recall. Its not accepted by Catholicism certainly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

studiorat wrote: »
    44% believed that Jesus will probably return during their lifetime.

*dies laughing*

Hasn't every generation for the last 2000 years thought this?
    If Jeruselem was replaced by a mushroom cloud tomorrow, I reckon these very people would see a silver lining around it.

I've heard it argued that one of the reasons the US has been such a huge supporter of Israel is that the end of days scenario requires the presence of a Jewish state in the Middle East. Quite a terrifying notion.

Zillah wrote: »
    I've heard it argued that one of the reasons the US has been such a huge supporter of Israel is that the end of days scenario requires the presence of a Jewish state in the Middle East. Quite a terrifying notion.

A section of the evangelical right believes that the Temple must be rebuilt in Jerusalem for the second coming of Christ. Despite producing what seems a touchy feely relationship, the end segment of this notion sees the Jews essentially wiped out, except for a certain number who become heralds for Christ. Or something similar.

They actually bring bus loads of these people round to settlements in the west bank to hand out gifts etc. Presumably they're happy to take the gifts, but not the advice, to paraphrase an Israeli leader.

Zillah wrote: »
    *dies laughing*

Hasn't every generation for the last 2000 years thought this?

I don't imagine an end of the world senario is peculiar to christanity alone. Since the 70's we've seen global warming, global cooling, global dimming etc.

Indeed, Israel plays quite a central role, but that's not really all that suprising considering where the text comes from. There's also talk of a single currency and one world governance etc. I'd expect any exegist worth his salt could find something to match any circumstances.

Israel I suppose also would figure in the 144,000 male virgin Jews!!!

Culled from my current favourite website
    http://www.parentalguide.com/[/URL]
    Following the destruction of the Russian military and its allies, which attack Israel during or near the beginning of the Tribulation, 144,000 male, virgin Jews should come to faith in Jesus Christ. There will be 12,000 from each of the twelve tribes of Israel. They will go forth to preach the Gospel. However, it appears, that just prior to the Russian invasion, the 144,000 will be sealed by God. This may be something that both they and the world are unaware of. This sealing may take place before they come to faith in Jesus, by the foreknowledge of God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

The real shocker is 68% of those who believe, believe it will happen in the next 40 years. That's the pension plan out the window anyway...

:D This is a good point. I wonder how many of the 68% have pension plans? And then I'd like to ask them why they bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Nodin wrote: »

They actually bring bus loads of these people round to settlements in the west bank to hand out gifts etc. Presumably they're happy to take the gifts, but not the advice, to paraphrase an Israeli leader.

There was a documentary about our freaky Endtimer chums on a while back, yeah.

Creepiest/ funniest bit was when the busload volunteered to help out around an Israeli army base, picking up litter and stuff in the midst of a bunch of bemused Israeli soldiers. God's work, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I disagree. The majority of people who will be taken by the rapture are semi-illiterate. Ever seen the hate mail pages on the websites belonging to Dawkins and Condell? :p

If anything, there'll be fewer people whose grammar needs correcting!

There was a documentary about our freaky Endtimer chums on a while back, yeah.

Creepiest/ funniest bit was when the busload volunteered to help out around an Israeli army base, picking up litter and stuff in the midst of a bunch of bemused Israeli soldiers. God's work, alright.

The End of the World Bus tour?

However, it appears, that just prior to the Russian invasion, the 144,000 will be sealed by God.

'Hebrew For Jesus Within - In case of Rapturing, break glass'

Advertisement