Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Break-in

Options
  • 20-02-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Folks, yet another break-in last night in the Wood...it was the car that was broken into. took pretty much every thing the little b**t**ds.

There must be something we can do to reduce the number of burgarlies?

Yesterday a black van was spotted parking in several different places in the Wood, anyone else notice this?

Maybe me being suspicious but a guy called into the house today allegedally checking the Gas, but he was routing around the small little white boxes at the front of the house, which I think are phone and something else.

little filty b**t**ds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Did you report the black van to the police?
    Did you ask the Gas man to see his identification?

I think all that can be done is to be as cautious as possible, have an alarm installed (one that doesn't go off for no reason!) and look out for your neighbours and hope they do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

Interesting that you mentioned that guy. My husband was at home this morning and noticed a guy run past our window and then appeared to be doing something with the white box outside our door. When he went out there was no sign of the guy...... Those boxes are for Gas and ESB meters. We live in Charlesland Park. This happened before 8.30 am

We've just called Bord Gais to enquire if that guy was from their company. They checked their system and said that they did not have anyone scheduled to be in the estate this morning. We told them about our incident and the other messages on the blog.

They told us that the next meter reading date for the estate is scheduled for next Tuesday 24th February so that guy could not have been reading the meter!

They asked us to put a message on the blog telling residents that their staff are always instructed to carry id and to present it if requested.

I guess we should be on the watch out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

The gas was read in Charlesland Wood yesterday.
    They do not come round in a bord gais van but a small green van instead.
    I always know they have been as they have to pull out the wheelie bins to get at the meter, the buggers never put the bins back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Is this why there were several Gards in the area last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

caji wrote: »
    We've just called Bord Gais to enquire if that guy was from their company. They checked their system and said that they did not have anyone scheduled to be in the estate this morning. We told them about our incident and the other messages on the blog.

They told us that the next meter reading date for the estate is scheduled for next Tuesday 24th February so that guy could not have been reading the meter!

They asked us to put a message on the blog telling residents that their staff are always instructed to carry id and to present it if requested.

I guess we should be on the watch out!!

I saw a the silhouette of a person outside my place last week, maybe Wednesday. Curtains were still shut and i thought, ooh no bill coming. I'll be watching out this week. The real gas man will get a right kicking this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Hi wrote: »
    Folks, yet another break-in last night in the Wood...it was the car that was broken into. took pretty much every thing the little b**t**ds.

My car got hit last Friday night too. I left it unlocked by mistake and Saturday morning I got in to find everything thrown all over the place. Strangely enough nothing was taken but someone had gone through everything.
    I'm really getting tired of this sort of thing in Charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Mullie wrote: »
    My car got hit last Friday night too. I left it unlocked by mistake and Saturday morning I got in to find everything thrown all over the place. Strangely enough nothing was taken but someone had gone through everything.
    I'm really getting tired of this sort of thing in Charlesland.

Well you did leave it unlocked - you were very lucky that you had nothing worth taking.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 larbis

Just to put your minds at rest it WAS the real gasman last week - my son and he read the meter together..

Thats good. Very strange that Bord Gais said that they were not due to read the meter in Charlesland Park until today....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

wingding wrote: »
    Did you report the black van to the police?
    Did you ask the Gas man to see his identification?

Just thought I'd let yous know that the 'Gas Man' is most probably a real threat.

Have heard of many cases, local, where there was an gas man 'checking the meter', only to have the places robbed a few days - a week or two later.

I even encountered a 'Gas Man' 2-3 years back. Quizzed him for ID, for which he had none, So of he went. Informed the Gardai, who told me that they should always have their ID on them.
    Unfortunately never heard anything about it after that.

Also the side gate should also always be padlocked, then if seen by home owner are forced to come to the door to try to explain who they are.....

joeybloggs wrote: »
    Just thought I'd let yous know that the 'Gas Man' is most probably a real threat.

Have heard of many cases, local, where there was an gas man 'checking the meter', only to have the places robbed a few days - a week or two later.

I even encountered a 'Gas Man' 2-3 years back. Quizzed him for ID, for which he had none, So of he went. Informed the Gardai, who told me that they should always have their ID on them.
    Unfortunately never heard anything about it after that.

Also the side gate should also always be padlocked, then if seen by home owner are forced to come to the door to try to explain who they are.....

To my surprise, while scanning the radio as i was driving into Newry yesterday, I caught a piece on east coast fm saying there was quite a few thefts from cars in Charlesland last weekend. They were all people forgetting to lock their cars, easily done. I wonder are most of the break ins down in the lower part of Charlesland? I would imagine it would be harder to escape if they are up the top end.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

The Gas Man last week in the Park/Grove was the real deal. I work from home and saw him in my garden. Produced his ID when asked and this ID was verified with Bord Gais when I called them after he left.
    Re "sick of this happening all the time in Charlesland" I lived most of my live in Foxrock and Cabinteely, and believe me, the level of car theft/breakins and house breakins in Charlesland is negligable compared to there..
    With the greatest respect to previous posters, leaving a car unlocked then finding it broken into the next day...?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

daveco23 wrote: »
    With the greatest respect to previous posters, leaving a car unlocked then finding it broken into the next day...?!?

True, was a stupid thing to do. But what shocked me was that its the first time I did that and I come out to find someone's been through the car. Kinda freaked at the thought that someone is constantly checking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Suder

Cars and houses are not the only targets!! Oh no, these ruthless thieves are capable of anything!!

Not even a pair of mucky aul hiking boots left in the porch yesterday evening for a couple of hours were safe!! :D
    I mean seriously....I hope they get the blisters they deserve!!
    Werent bothered with my two year olds wellies though?!

There really must be some serious opportunists roaming around Charlesland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Suder wrote: »
    Cars and houses are not the only targets!! Oh no, these ruthless thieves are capable of anything!!

Not even a pair of mucky aul hiking boots left in the porch yesterday evening for a couple of hours were safe!! :D
    I mean seriously....I hope they get the blisters they deserve!!
    Werent bothered with my two year olds wellies though?!

There really must be some serious opportunists roaming around Charlesland.
    They've taken trainers before from outside the door of someone here (might have been Dubrunner).

Odd though, I've three pairs of rugby boots out on our porch most of the time, but they've never been taken. Mind you, I own them and I'd still prefer not to touch them!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

I had a old pair of astro boots taken from my door in the court about 18 months ago. They were about 2 years old and there was a burst in the side of them. They'll take anything that isn't bolted/tied down.

It was actually quite funny as the missus had been at me for ages to get a new pair. (which now come into the house after footie)

They've taken trainers before from outside the door of someone here (might have been Dubrunner).

Odd though, I've three pairs of rugby boots out on our porch most of the time, but they've never been taken. Mind you, I own them and I'd still prefer not to touch them!

Are yours the Puma ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Are yours the Puma ones?
    No, Adidas, Kooga and Canterbury.

The Adidas ones have grass growing on them. And some mould too...

No, Adidas, Kooga and Canterbury.

The Adidas ones have grass growing on them. And some mould too...

I was going to say, the Puma ones are pinching a bit. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Johnny K wrote: »
    I had a old pair of astro boots taken from my door in the court about 18 months ago. They were about 2 years old and there was a burst in the side of them. They'll take anything that isn't bolted/tied down.

It was actually quite funny as the missus had been at me for ages to get a new pair. (which now come into the house after footie)

Maybe she threw them out and said nothing - we're good at that :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Maybe it was one of those groups that go around putting stickers through the door for clothing etc for people who arn't as lucky as us and took them by mistake..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Maybe it was one of those groups that go around putting stickers through the door for clothing etc for people who arn't as lucky as us and took them by mistake..

wizard i think you are on to something there! the boots are now in a container on the way to lithuania!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

This happened to my mother,
    The ironing lady missed her so she hung the items on the door knob and closed the porch door. Hey presto a collection van does a sweep of the area and no more clothes. A neighbour commented that it was very nice of my mother to have gone to the trouble of having the clothes ironed before giving them away:rolleyes:!!!!!

Cost of ironing €48
    Cost of clothes €150/€200
    Cost of slagging material € Priceless !!

Advertisement