Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to protest tomorrow

Options
  • 20-02-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

who is going to protest in dublin tomorrow and why are you going?
    i am going as a public servent but also to protest at the protection the fat cats are getting and to call for a change of goverement

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I am, as are 10 of my mates, 4 of who are now unemployed with no short term prospects of getting a job.

We are all bringing a pair of old shoes to leave at the gates of Leinster House to demonstrate our hatred of this inept and useless shower of apes that are currently in office. I think this protest is going to be the biggest protest seen in Dublin in the last 20 years.... Btw, none of us are public sector workers...

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I am a private sector worker, and going on the protest in solidarity with my fellow workers who have been victimised by our incompetent government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I wont be attending (not based on an aversion to the protests, just out of laziness). I agree with public service cuts. However, I disagree with the sneeky nature of these ones which the governemtn has described as "tough measures". I would also like to see a reajustment of the levy to cater for the lower paid, as many Civil Servants are notcapable of living a Haughey style life. Look at California and the huge lay off of Public Sector Workers last week. This could end up getting a hell of a lot worse efore it gets better. These actions are simply the thin edge of the wedge.

However, I would like to show solidarity with the strikers, on the overall issue of governmental economic management. Its peicemeal, yet caviler approach will continue to drag us down further.

Het-Field wrote: »
    I wont be attending (not based on an aversion to the protests, just out of laziness). I agree with public service cuts. However, I disagree with the sneeky nature of these ones which the governemtn has described as "tough measures". I would also like to see a reajustment of the levy to cater for the lower paid, as many Civil Servants are notcapable of living a Haughey style life. Look at California and the huge lay off of Public Sector Workers last week. This could end up getting a hell of a lot worse efore it gets better. These actions are simply the thin edge of the wedge.

However, I would like to show solidarity with the strikers, on the overall issue of governmental economic management. Its peicemeal, yet caviler approach will continue to drag us down further.

If you want to show real solidarity, get out of bed and protest! If your going to talk the talk, then you're going to have to walk the walk. Nothing is going to change unless we stop tolerating this standard of governance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If you want to show real solidarity, get out of bed and protest! If your going to talk the talk, then you're going to have to walk the walk. Nothing is going to change unless we stop tolerating this standard of governance...

Thats as fair and vaild a point as I have heard in 2009 ! I may have to revise my plans !

• Advertisement

Het-Field wrote: »
    Thats as fair and vaild a point as I have heard in 2009 ! I may have to revise my plans !

Down with this sort of thing! We need to get serious about this and get these apes out of government while there is still the remanants of an economy left to save...

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

I am, as are 10 of my mates, 4 of who are now unemployed with no short term prospects of getting a job.

We are all bringing a pair of old shoes to leave at the gates of Leinster House to demonstrate our hatred of this inept and useless shower of apes that are currently in office. I think this protest is going to be the biggest protest seen in Dublin in the last 20 years.... Btw, none of us are public sector workers...

I think i'm missing your point of bringing an old pair of shoes? Sounds a bit retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

No, because even if the government is ousted the replacement government will still have to make significant cuts in public sector pay which is the main thing being protested against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

can we not make this in to public sector v private sector

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

SkepticOne

No, because even if the government is ousted the replacement government will still have to make significant cuts in public sector pay which is the main thing being protested.

Is that the main thing being protested? I want to protest about the combined actions of Anglo, the regulator the central bank and the government. Is this protest the best place I can do this? You are never going to agree 100% with thousands of people protesting so I'm wondering if this is my best chance to protest being put in a huge debt due to the shenanigans of a few very rich people.

• Advertisement

TomD101 wrote: »
    I think i'm missing your point of bringing an old pair of shoes? Sounds a bit retarded.

This is how you do it, no messing or f*nnying around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

i think we need to the get rid of goverement
    they took the eye off the ball and caused the construction bubble
    they have us all paying massive mortgages ect
    we need them out along with all the top bankers and start all over again
    my poster will be " OUT WITH FF NOW AND NAME THE FAT TEN"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

seangal wrote: »
    i think we need to the get rid of goverement
    they took the eye off the ball and caused the construction bubble
    they have us all paying massive mortgages ect
    we need them out along with all the top bankers and start all over again
    my poster will be " OUT WITH FF NOW AND NAME THE FAT TEN"

Great plan. That will solve our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We are all bringing a pair of old shoes to leave at the gates of Leinster House to demonstrate our hatred of this inept and useless shower of apes that are currently in office.

You'd be better off throwing them á la Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

FTA69 wrote: »
    You'd be better off throwing them á la Iraq.

If they leave a load of shoes outside, the world press will think that Leinster House is a new mosque, or that they've been left out by the politicians for cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Great plan. That will solve our problems.

Probably not, but its a start.

Or what would you like to do? Stay at home or grumble about it in the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I'm public sector but not civil service. I'm going and its not to protest over pension levy.
    I don't mind doing my bit so no problems paying it. I'm going because ordinary Joes are losing jobs while the Fat Cats take no hits at all. I'm not happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

Does anyone seriously think that the protest is going to change anything? NO IT WILL NOT - NOT ONE IOTA. What a waste of fuel, Gardai time and peoples time.

The protest will be no doubt have thousands of people doing something but its not going to make one difference.
    Do you think if 200,000 people turn up that Brian Cowan and his cohorts will say "Ah look lads, theres loads of people out there - we have to resign now." No chance.
    In fact FF, FG & Labour are as bad as each other. The government is trying to do something and the rest of the shower are point scoring - nit picking everything instead of getting behind the government and showing support.
    This great country of ours is being torn apart not just by the GLOBAL credit crisis but the childish bickering of aged men who attend their "school" for a lock of days a year. Irish politics is a joke.
    Of course we have to look to the past but as far as I'm aware we can't go back and fix things. So lets try and sort out the future. We don't need a general election this year because that will really tear this country apart. We need everyone to set aside their differences and work together for the sake of this country. We don't need more expensive inquiries - we need people to work together. Wage cuts need to happen across all trades and all sectors - unions need to lose a lot of their powers. National wage plans etc... scrapped. Today the labour court was dealing with a request by the CIF to cut wages by 10% and the unions want it up by 3.5% in recessionary times and when there is no work - who do these unions think they are? Maggie Thatcher was a a lot of unmentionable words but she stood up to the unions and beat them. What does Brian Cowan do - ask them in and see what they think?
    The Rip Off Ireland virus that infected everybody needs to be removed and lets get real about wages and the cost of living.
    I think a famous slogan should be used: "Ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    We need everyone to set aside their differences and work together for the sake of this country. - we need people to work together. .
    Hence the protest :rolleyes:

I really want to go and protest. Protest for tougher measures(higher taxes) and incentives for job creation. Also against the bailout of certain trucking bankers. I'm not sure if going tomorrow with a placard saying this will go down too well though....

What do any of you going think?

I'll probably go in with a camera anyway just so I don't miss any excitement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

tools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

I won't be going because I don't support the protest. 'Tis like protesting about the colour of the Fire Engines while your house is on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

tools

Will you be making your own placard?

MG wrote: »
    I won't be going because I don't support the protest. 'Tis like protesting about the colour of the Fire Engines while your house is on fire.

Only if the firemen and their mates set your house on fire...

Varkov wrote: »
    Only if the firemen and their mates set your house on fire...

after you poured petrol on it and then got amnesia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Would it not be more effective to go to Cowen/Lenihen's places of residence and protest there, seeing as there won't be any government reps around leinster house?

MG wrote: »
    after you poured petrol on it and then got amnesia

I dont get it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tools

Banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I will be joining on the basis that I've had enough of those at the top continuing with cronyism and protectionism and letting those who can't afford to pay pick up the whole tab.

I agree that money needs to be saved, and thankfully I'm in a place at the moment whereby I can afford to take the pension levy hit. However, many will find it a lot harder as they have families to feed. I also disagree with how the levy is being met out. Someone on more than twice what I am paid will pay €25 more than me a fortnight. If someone can explain how that is fair, then please, go ahead.

I'll be there Saturday, though not for all of it (my birthday!!).

• Advertisement

Varkov wrote: »
    I dont get it :confused:

I don't think anyone protesting tomorrow gets it.

If any of these people did any of the following, then they were complicit in the mismanagement of the country so are hypocrites.

Anyone who voted Fianna Fail in 2006
    Regulators
    Unions who pressed for benchmarking and their members
    Anyone who took out a 100% mortgage
    Anyone who inflated their income to get mortgage approval
    Anyone who bought BTL
    Most people who used equity release
    Anyone who borrowed excessively for day to day expenses
    Anyone who said “renting is dead money”
    Anyone who complained about people “talking down the economy”
    There are probably more...............

Advertisement