Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to protest tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

MG wrote: »
    I don't think anyone protesting tomorrow gets it.

If any of these people did any of the following, then they were complicit in the mismanagement of the country so are hypocrites.

Anyone who voted Fianna Fail in 2006
    Regulators
    Unions who pressed for benchmarking and their members
    Anyone who took out a 100% mortgage
    Anyone who inflated their income to get mortgage approval
    Anyone who bought BTL
    Most people who used equity release
    Anyone who borrowed excessively for day to day expenses
    Anyone who said “renting is dead money”
    Anyone who complained about people “talking down the economy”
    There are probably more...............

Are you any of those things?

I bought a house with my OH on a 100% mortgage. That's all I did off the list. Are you going to begrudge me that?

Btw, what a way to hijack the thread. It's about whos going to protest, not about your own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

I wish there were distributed protests in regional centres around the country in solidarity with the main Dublin protest. Not everybody can travel 160 miles plus at the drop of a hat, and you'd have the the advantage of a much larger turnout in toto.

This country is too Dublin-centric, IMHO.

Dasilva94 wrote: »
    I wish there were distributed protests in regional centres around the country in solidarity with the main Dublin protest. Not everybody can travel 160 miles plus at the drop of a hat, and you'd have the the advantage of a much larger turnout in toto.

Have you done anything to organise something outside of Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If any of these people did any of the following, then they were complicit in the mismanagement of the country so are hypocrites.

Regulators
    Anyone who bought BTL

I'm seeing the same aloof attitude coming from people who are not marching tomorrow, that I previously saw coming from the folks who advocated a YES vote on Lisbon. The same intransigent, indifferent and aloof mentality seems to be shining from the people who see no value in protesting tomorrow.

(1) Renting is and has always been, dead money. You are paying someone elses mortgage, why would you choose to do that???

(2) Your point on anyone who took out a 100% mortgage is rediculous. If people did this, it was because they usually had to do it. What have you got to say about people who bought 2-10 houses, thereby artifically forcing up the cost of property and f*cking up the economy??? You seem to have little if nothing to say about these parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Regulators
    Anyone who bought BTL

Wow, blame half the country why don't you. I doubt they all delibarately plotted or premeditated their actions with the sole aim of bringing the country to it's knees.

Get off your drama-queen's high horse and count to ten.

It's the capital and the idea is to march on the Dáíl as seat of government. We could have a protest in Carrick-on-Shannon, but I don't see the turnout being massive tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

A lot of the Unions are laying on buses for their members to be able to travel together - mine certainly is from at least 10 different counties.

The point is to show just how many people feel that the Government has done this all wrong - and how much it affects not just public service workers but their family and friends, any of whom work in any industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Btw, what a way to hijack the thread. It's about whos going to protest, not about your own agenda.
    I think he has a valid point to be fair. All's well and good complaining about corporate greed and government mis management but greed and bad planning was rampant with individual citizens too. We all share responsibility for creating the bubble.

some personal reflection wouldn't go a miss while rightly protesting tomorrow. We were only given the offer of a credit economy, it was people themselves who actually accepted the offer and spent recklessly without thought of the consequences. Some peoples recklessness was just on a bigger scale.

I am, most definitely, going tomorrow as is my husband. My colleagues are bringing their spouses and children - because it shouldn't be forgotten that it's not just the actual worker that is being affected, but all their extended family.

I honestly believe this should be more than just about the pension levy - given nothing else seems to be happening for ordinary people to inform their representatives about their feelings, it's an opportunity for everyone to protest against the Government and the complete bollocks they've made of our country.

However, I have to say I'm disgusted at some people in my workplace... one actually said she's only working there for pocket money anyway and doesn't really care one way or the other - nothing like solidarity (can't stand her anyway :D !!!).

Regulators
    Anyone who bought BTL

Never did any of these, I must be a saint!

clown bag wrote: »
    I think he has a valid point to be fair. All's well and good complaining about corporate greed and government mis management but greed and bad planning was rampant with individual citizens too. We all share responsibility for creating the bubble.

some personal reflection wouldn't go a miss while rightly protesting tomorrow. We were only given the offer of a credit economy, it was people themselves who actually accepted the offer and spent recklessly without thought of the consequences. Some peoples recklessness was just on a bigger scale.

First off, this thread was asking who is going to be protesting tomorrow, not a place to make points about the pay, etc. There are plenty of other threads he/she can do that in.

Secondly, how very patronising to suggest "personal reflection" for those protesting. Perhaps they already have. Unfortunately for you, "people" is a rather collective term that can not be used to tar all with the one brush. Not everyone lived outside their means, etc. However, you can continue to believe whatever supports your arguements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

*Honey* wrote: »
    However, I have to say I'm disgusted at some people in my workplace... one actually said she's only working there for pocket money anyway and doesn't really care one way or the other - nothing like solidarity (can't stand her anyway :D !!!).

Give her 12 months and see how smug she is. The good thing about this recession is that it will eventually come knocking on her door and bring her back down to reality with an almighty bang.

First off, this thread was asking who is going to be protesting tomorrow, not a place to make points about the pay, etc. There are plenty of other threads he/she can do that in.

Secondly, how very patronising to suggest "personal reflection" for those protesting. Perhaps they already have. Unfortunately for you, "people" is a rather collective term that can not be used to tar all with the one brush. Not everyone lived outside their means, etc. However, you can continue to believe whatever supports your arguements.

Get off your high horse, I wish all protesting tomorrow the best of luck. I just felt the poster made some valid points. I have seen a lot of hideous hypocrisy from people I know personally and obviously from the majority of society in their new found distaste for the current government and the credit / greed culture.

I wasn't making any argument, simply acknowledging a valid point made by another poster. I'll leave you to your thread now. :)

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Give her 12 months and see how smug she is. The good thing about this recession is that it will eventually come knocking on her door and bring her back down to reality with an almighty bang.

Do I have to wait a whole 12 months? I'm thinking not.

clown bag wrote: »
    Get off your high horse, I wish all protesting tomorrow the best of luck. I just felt the poster made some valid points. I have seen a lot of hideous hypocrisy from people I know personally and obviously from the majority of society in their new found distaste for the current government and the credit / greed culture.

I wasn't making any argument, simply acknowledging a valid point made by another poster. I'll leave you to your thread now. :)

Fair enough, I just didn't take kindly to the "personal reflection" comment.

Fair enough, I just didn't take kindly to the "personal reflection" comment.

personal reflection is always a good thing, it's nothing personal ;)

good luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

seangal wrote: »
    who is going to protest in dublin tomorrow and why are you going?
    i am going as a public servent but also to protest at the protection the fat cats are getting and to call for a change of goverement

No I will not be attending. The reality is that we need to dramatically reduce the level of public expenditure, the unions speak a populist rant about taxing the rich but I haven't heard any of them with practical solutions. The government could have gone down the road of sacking civil servants but instead opted for pay cuts. People need to realise that things are going to get a whole lot worse before they get better, expect job losses to hit public service next year, this is just the start of it. Marching through the streets of Dublin with posters and shouting "billions for the banks, pay cuts for workers" while it be a good day out is not going to help things.

hughs wrote: »
    The government could have gone down the road of sacking civil servants but instead opted for pay cuts.

Great idea... put more people on the dole, increase the costs the government have to meet... you sure you're not a TD??:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I am going tomorrow. Hope there is a massive turnout. Things are going to get a lot worse so I hope this gives the Gov the message that they can't go for the easy targets all the time.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I'm seeing the same aloof attitude coming from people who are not marching tomorrow, that I previously saw coming from the folks who advocated a YES vote on Lisbon. The same intransigent, indifferent and aloof mentality seems to be shining from the people who see no value in protesting tomorrow.

(1) Renting is and has always been, dead money. You are paying someone elses mortgage, why would you choose to do that???

(2) Your point on anyone who took out a 100% mortgage is rediculous. If people did this, it was because they usually had to do it. What have you got to say about people who bought 2-10 houses, thereby artifically forcing up the cost of property and f*cking up the economy??? You seem to have little if nothing to say about these parasites.

1 - Renting is not dead money, you get the use of a property for the period you pay the rent. It is amazing and worrying that there are still crazy people out there like you who still believe this. Let's say it's March 2006 and a couple decides they would like to live in a 2 bed apartment in Sandyford, they have the option of renting and paying say approx €1,300 per month or buying a 2 bed apartment in the area for €500K and take out a 100% mortgage. Move forward, it's now Jan 2009, the couple have been lucky to still both be in employment but are in negative equity, their apartment is probably worth at the very most €275K. This is what you call, DEAD MONEY.

2 - "Had to do it" - who forced them? Please expand? "Parasites" - I don't think you know what word means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Being a student, I should be going to protest against fees, but said affliction means I'm too lazy.

Get idea... put more people on the dole, increase the costs the government have to meet... you sure you're not a TD??:rolleyes:

It would be cheaper than paying them a salary. No one can seriosuly argue that there is not a huge amount of waste in the public service. I accept that their are civil servants that are efficient and deserve every cent that they get. However, there are also loads of areas where you could cut back numbers.

People need to wake up and face the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I'll be there Saturday, though not for all of it (my birthday!!).

Happy birthday man, hope you have a good one.

As for the protest, I am going. You cannot fault the government for making decisions, you can fault them for making the wrong decisions. Every decision has been an absolute fiasco. Hopefully this will be the beginning of politics being brought back to the people of this country. We need this protest to send the political elites a message that people are losing their jobs, put people before the needs of the corrupt and greedy.

Being a student, I should be going to protest against fees, but said affliction means I'm too lazy.

I hope you won't regret that in the future... this is your future people are fighting for too, not just our present.

I hope you won't regret that in the future... this is your future people are fighting for too, not just our present.

What are you fighting for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    Does anyone seriously think that the protest is going to change anything? NO IT WILL NOT - NOT ONE IOTA. What a waste of fuel, Gardai time and peoples time.

The protest will be no doubt have thousands of people doing something but its not going to make one difference.
    Do you think if 200,000 people turn up that Brian Cowan and his cohorts will say "Ah look lads, theres loads of people out there - we have to resign now." No chance.
    In fact FF, FG & Labour are as bad as each other. The government is trying to do something and the rest of the shower are point scoring - nit picking everything instead of getting behind the government and showing support.
    This great country of ours is being torn apart not just by the GLOBAL credit crisis but the childish bickering of aged men who attend their "school" for a lock of days a year. Irish politics is a joke.
    Of course we have to look to the past but as far as I'm aware we can't go back and fix things. So lets try and sort out the future. We don't need a general election this year because that will really tear this country apart. We need everyone to set aside their differences and work together for the sake of this country. We don't need more expensive inquiries - we need people to work together. Wage cuts need to happen across all trades and all sectors - unions need to lose a lot of their powers. National wage plans etc... scrapped. Today the labour court was dealing with a request by the CIF to cut wages by 10% and the unions want it up by 3.5% in recessionary times and when there is no work - who do these unions think they are? Maggie Thatcher was a a lot of unmentionable words but she stood up to the unions and beat them. What does Brian Cowan do - ask them in and see what they think?
    The Rip Off Ireland virus that infected everybody needs to be removed and lets get real about wages and the cost of living.
    I think a famous slogan should be used: "Ask not what your country can do for you but what can you do for your country".
    tell that to the pensioners they got what they wanted
    and even if it dose not change anything it is better that just talking about it

That this country is governed by a government who represents those who voted them in... that students, like yourself, actually have an education system so that you continue with your studies at a reasonable level of course delivery (given the HEA gives a far more limited budget, contact hours etc for students are going to reduce dramatically), that there are sufficient nurses, doctors, firemen/women etc to service the community... that we are all treated fairly in this and that we all get through it alive. I won't manage all those tomorrow myself, but each person can play a role in this.

I'm not fighting for lazy arses who would rather spend the day in bed.

seangal wrote: »
    tell that to the pensioners they got what they wanted
    and even if it dose not change anything it is better that just talking about it

+1 ... people so easily bleat on here about what should and shouldn't happen... at least some are taking a stand and showing the Government what they think.

Regulators
    Anyone who bought BTL
    crap apart form anybody who voted FF last time
    we all new that FF were in bed with the builder (Race tent galway)
    what we did not know was that FF were in bed with Bankers
    one group caused this and that is FF
    and it is complete crap to blame the irish people
    irish people have a dream to have there own home and it was the FF regulater that allowed them to get 100% mortages or 6 time there wages
    If they could not get the money house could not keep going up and up and we would not have this banking issue.
    FF to blame fullstop.

• Advertisement

the next protest will be regional and to be honest we need a complete work stoppage to get the point across how unhappy irish people are

Advertisement