Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to protest tomorrow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7903518.stm

So the Irish Times says 120,000 and the BBC say 100,000.

Either way, how many does it take for the Government to resign?? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

seangal wrote: »
    well u did not get your damp squid
    100k there
    bet u did not see that coming

Whoopdy doo! They're saved...

Diogenes wrote: »
    Could we perhaps explore the possibilities of peaceful protest before we start building barricades and making molotovs? Things aren't exactly as bad as the Lockouts just yet

I wasn't talking about going that far :p
    I meant more of a French style protest where everyone seems totally into it. The Majority of today's one just walked silently from point A to point B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7903518.stm

So the Irish Times says 120,000 and the BBC say 100,000.

Either way, how many does it take for the Government to resign?? :mad:

Should have taken the opportunity to survey how many of these protestors actually voted and were part of the paltry turnout at the last election.
    Those who didn't basically got the govt they deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about going that far :p
    I meant more of a French style protest where everyone seems totally into it. The Majority of today's one just walked silently from point A to point B

In fairness many of them were probably on their first protest march, give them time, they'll going to get more chances to practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

people can talk all the crap they want but the fact is 100k made a big efford to protest some from all over the country
    people are pissed off with this goverement and paying off people in FAS and that prick neary when they should have being sacked
    the goverement would have like to see today protest fail like some on this board but the goverement will not be happy tonight to see 100k on the street. Wait for the 10 fat cats to be name and we will have a new goverement as the rumour is a west of ireland TD is one of them and up to his neck in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

According to media reports European leaders are fearing a tital wave of civil unrest right across Europe.

http://www.canada.com/news/world/European+leaders+fear+civil+unrest+over+economic+woes/1210245/story.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

According to media reports European leaders are fearing a tital wave of civil unrest right across Europe.

http://www.canada.com/news/world/European+leaders+fear+civil+unrest+over+economic+woes/1210245/story.html
    i can see it happening in east of europe but thank god we dont protest like that (except the love ulster prade)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

i can see it happening in east of europe but thank god we dont protest like that (except the love ulster prade)
    A few Protestants march peacefully through Dublin and there's full scale riots.
    Our own government screw us over and we march peacefully through Dublin!

Well done to everyone who bothered to go out and make a stand today.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I'm just back from it, they announced that Gardai figures estimated at least 100,000 people .. it was packed but I'm really glad I did it. We have to stand up to be heard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Should have taken the opportunity to survey how many of these protestors actually voted and were part of the paltry turnout at the last election.
    Those who didn't basically got the govt they deserved.

Oh i think they'll all be out to vote next time, dont you?
    And the OAPs too. They havent forgotten either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

Hope yee all had a nice day out. All our problems are now resolved. :):)

*Honey* wrote: »
    I'm just back from it, they announced that Gardai figures estimated at least 100,000 people .. it was packed but I'm really glad I did it. We have to stand up to be heard.

Thats not standing up. Thats just walking.

Your unions arent strong enough. The government will just roll back a little on the pension levy (say only levy those over 50k or 60k, or maybe take a % off the levy) and say there you go and youll all go home and stay quiet. This is their gameplan and you are walking right into it.

If you're going to take a stand, do it properly. Dont settle for the levy in any form. But i dont you doing this. So you'll save us in the private secor having to take as much of a PAYE hammering at least.

hughs wrote: »

Did you manage to get out of the bed or are you posting from there? Hope there's a job market for you when you're done with College.

BTW didn't anyone tell you sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

bobbbb wrote: »
    If you're going to take a stand, do it properly.

What are you proposing?

At least some people are making a stand. What would you do?

K4t wrote: »

He already said in another post that he was a student and not arsed to get out of bed.

Unlike him, there were lots of students there supporting the marchers. Good to see them, at least they are concerned about the future of their country.

What are you proposing?

Strike, dont just pretend. Dont take the levy in any way, shape or form. Insists that the government get their gains from taxes, so everyone pays, not just the public sector.

But you wont do that, so you'll just take it in the end. So why even bother marching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

But you wont do that, so you'll just take it in the end. So why even bother marching?

The union bosses have to justify their salary somehow. Of course they are worth the money, sure didn't they give the sheep a day out.

Strike, dont just pretend. Dont take the levy in any way, shape or form. Insists that the government get their gains from taxes, so everyone pays, not just the public sector.

Why are you answering your own question for me? :confused:

I am more than prepared to strike, I've done to before and I'll do it again.

• Advertisement

Why are you answering your own question for me? :confused:

I am more than prepared to strike, I've done to before and I'll do it again.

We all know how this will end. You'll get a little concession and then crawl back into line. Its already been agred with your union - but they wont tell you that.

At the end of the day you'll take what cuts Mr Lenihan wanted to give you all along.

We all know how this will end. You'll get a little concession and then crawl back into line. Its already been agred with your union - but they wont tell you that.

At the end of the day you'll take what cuts Mr Lenihan wanted to give you all along.

I'm bored already by the way you speak to me like I'm 4.

You believe what you wish - it's apparent that you're only here to stir things and not actually have a proper discussion on the issue. That gets so dull so quickly.

Enjoy yourself and your holiday!

I'm bored already by the way you speak to me like I'm 4.

You believe what you wish - it's apparent that you're only here to stir things and not actually have a proper discussion on the issue. That gets so dull so quickly.

Enjoy yourself and your holiday!

How easily you give up. The very point ive been making all along.
    Im sure you'll be using the very same excuse when you give up and take your levy. Why am i not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

K4t wrote: »

I dont disagree with the pay cuts/pension levy. The reality is that the government did not go far enough. This may be painful but it is the reality. We can protest all we like but the money is not there.

How easily you give up. The very point ive been making all along.
    Im sure you'll be using the very same excuse when you give up and take your levy. Why am i not surprised.

I smell a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I dont disagree with the pay cuts/pension levy. The reality is that the government did not go far enough. This may be painful but it is the reality. We can protest all we like but the money is not there.

i no longer work in the public service, wife still does though. And in essence i don't have an issue with the idea of the pension levy at all.

What I have the problem with, is giving more money to the shower of incompetent fools currently in charge of this slow moving train wreck. For many years they had more money than most of us can contemplate, and they managed to stuff it up, so now in a time of crisis I have little or no confidence in their abilities to spend whatever they collect of this initiative or any other wisely.

I smell a troll.

I a smell quitter, who thinks as long as they have the last word they are the winners. Like the public sector protesters.

I ask again, Why are you wasting all this time going through the motions when you know that you will just settle in the end?

What I have the problem with, is giving more money to the shower of incompetent fools currently in charge of this slow moving train wreck. For many years they had more money than most of us can contemplate, and they managed to stuff it up, so now in a time of crisis I have little or no confidence in their abilities to spend whatever they collect of this initiative or any other wisely.

I agree with you 100%.

It is. FG have outlined how the same amount could be saved this year without introducing the pension levy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

well u did not get your damp squid
    100k there
    bet u did not see that coming

It wasnt 100K supporting the rejection of a pension levy ...good job they saw that wasnt going to fly.

When is the next parade? Line up everyone that feels they are unfairly victimized during a recession. How about the 50K Bank employees that arent earning 2 million a year? Whos gonna march to defend them now that they have lost there savings/pensions/stocks due to the bank disasters. They didnt have anything to do with the downturn either.

Seems a lot like the way the referen-dumb was defeated - get a load of people together and lump them into one cause - even though they are all fighting for different things. Makes for great sound bites - but zero solutions.

Advertisement