Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BJ Releases Video

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

lol Goebbels would have been proud of that kind of craftmanship. Seriously though, that is the most pathetic piece of propaganda ive seen in a long time..

Between this incident, the kenny florian email debacle and a host of other issues - Bj's integrity has really taken a hit..

Talk about a sore loser..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

great lets do it all again, can't see any different result

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Did the same people who made the Loose Change film make this? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 subvictory

Say's who? He's entitled to raise any issue he think made a difference to his performance. Did it affect his Jiu-Jitsu adversely? It looks like it probably did. Would it have changed the outcome of the fight, most probably not.
    The real difference in the fight was about twenty pounds of lean muscle. I think it's a bench mark, you just can't play between weight divisions at the very top level, no matter who you are. A rematch would be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

After seeing that video I'm left thinking that I wasted 7 minutes watching that and still feel the same as I did before it. Stupid video. Proves nothing we didn't already know.

And Sherk was calling him slippery because he couldn't grab a leg for a take down! Well thats conclusive evidence there. Must have had vaselined legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Regardless of what anyone thinks of either fighter the fact of the matter is that GSP ad his corner men blatantly cheated there's no 2 ways about that!! I'm a fan of GSP by the way so I'm not trying to put the dude down because he is class!! But you can clearly see throughout the whole time that the fight is on the ground that BJ is trying to control St Pierre and he keeps slipping out of it way to easily!! GSP is an extremely good wrestler but i don't think he'd be able to just brush BJ off as easily as he was doing!! It was very clear that their was something slippery on his neck and the top of his back!!

I think GSP would probably win the rematch but if he wasn't greased up it would make for a much more closely fought contest and BJ definitely deserves it because of GSP's cheating!! There's no other way of putting it the dude cheated end of story!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

subvictory wrote: »
    Say's who? He's entitled to raise any issue he think made a difference to his performance. .

i get fed up with pre match " i'm in the best shape of my life 2 to post loss " i got injured in training " and this seems like a variation - in rd four after all had been wiped away, he got battered. by all means have a rematch, i think GSP will be angry for the first time in his career, and looking forward to a whooping of unthought of proportions.

is everytime BJ loses going to mean an excuse? all the trash talking beforehand, and he got his ass handed to him. i hate sore losers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 subvictory

Pre-fight and post-fight are two very different worlds. Penn allways "talks up" a fight, it makes him and his opponent more money. Afterwards is the time for level headed analysis, if you were in his exact situation what would you do? If you thought someone acted unfairly would you just keep quiet?

Pity fighter bashing isn't allowed and I could say what I really think :eek:

U can say what u really think, just don't get into petty or filthy name calling.
    Pre-fight and post-fight are two very different worlds. Penn allways "talks up" a fight, it makes him and his opponent more money. Afterwards is the time for level headed analysis, if you were in his exact situation what would you do? If you thought someone acted unfairly would you just keep quiet?

He came accross well post fight with Sherk. I agree if I felt the other guy cheated then I'd speak up too. But he should leave this in the hands of the commission now and see what happens rather than put together 7 minute videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Agreed leave it to the commission now

Surely any corner worth its salt would have petitioned the ref as soon as they suspected the oponent was greasing? IE when the guy sits down after the 1st round. Would have taken 10 seconds to be checked and guy is allowed to continue or is DQ'd or am i missing something here like the $ involved in a fight this big

Also agree though a 3rd fight is pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

calex71 wrote: »
    Also agree though a 3rd fight is pointless.

Not to BJ, because he really believes that he can beat GSP. He really believes he can beat just about anyone.

Plus, he will get paid, GSP will get paid, the UFC will get paid. This fight will happen.

Personally, this has just made me root for Ken Flo even more.

The simple fact of the matter for BJ is that there are fights at Lightweight that need to happen if he wants to continue calling himself the Champ of that Division.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I had no idea that this isn't the first time that St. Pierre has been accused of greasing. Despite the obviously biased video, the converging evidence from different fighters, especially Hughes, Sherk, and Miller, who are all experienced fighters, tends to suggest that St. Pierre has in fact been greasing. I hope they do something about it. This has tarnished Jackson's camp for sure, no one likes a cheater.

Valmont wrote: »
    I had no idea that this isn't the first time that St. Pierre has been accused of greasing. Despite the obviously biased video, the converging evidence from different fighters, especially Hughes, Sherk, and Miller, who are all experienced fighters, tends to suggest that St. Pierre has in fact been greasing. I hope they do something about it. This has tarnished Jackson's camp for sure, no one likes a cheater.

This is certainly my issue with it. I love GSP, I'm a big fan, but I'm a sportsman first and foremost and I want to see both guys on the same level with no unfair advantages other than skill and athleticism levels and a good gameplan. Anything else is cheap.

I for one think that on the evidence of what we saw that BJ could be more competitive IF he was in amazing shape (he defended the takedown awesomely in round 1) but I don't think that will happen. So therefore I think that the greasing PROBABLY made no difference to the outcome of the fight. But I do think it made a difference to how well BJ defended on the bottom and, as such, how much damage BJ took. I also think that while people will wanna say that it's sour grapes, the issue must be looked at and the powers that be ensure that this never happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Right, just got to watch the video there. It is an interesting propaganda piece to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It is definitely propaganda the way it is put together. BUT there is very little in that video that you can say is untrue. Even Sherk says that GSP must have had some "oil on him or something."

Whether or not the result of the fight would be different is irrelevant imo. The fact is that GSP's corner cheated and therefore GSP's win should be erased and ruled a no contest and both GSP and his corner men should be punished. You need to set the highest of standards or the intergrity of the sport as a whole sport will eventually suffer.

Greasing is an problem that has the potential to really damage the reputation of MMA and it needs to be stamped out now. If it was up to me I would fine GSP his whole purse for the fight and strip him of the welterweight belt. I know it is harsh but it sends a message that cheating will not be tolerated. And it is cheating even if the result would not necessarily be different. However because GSP cannot be held fully responsible for his corner mens actions, he should be able to compete in a tournament for the welterweight title. His corner on the other hand should all be banned for a significant amount of time.

As harsh as that sounds, the welterweight champion was found to be cheating in a welterweight title defence so he should be stripped of that title imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

Say's who? He's entitled to raise any issue he think made a difference to his performance. Did it affect his Jiu-Jitsu adversely? It looks like it probably did. Would it have changed the outcome of the fight, most probably not.
    The real difference in the fight was about twenty pounds of lean muscle. I think it's a bench mark, you just can't play between weight divisions at the very top level, no matter who you are. A rematch would be pointless.
    To be honest, I think BJ has always been overrated but after looking at the video, it seems that it did make a difference if not to the outcome of the fight but perhaps to the competitiveness and who knows penn might have been able to pull something out of the hat!! A rematch is the only fair thing to do...while probably not making for great entertainment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

cagefan wrote: »
    A rematch is the only fair thing to do...while probably not making for great entertainment

A rematch would make for great entertainment if only for the build up and to see a very pissed off GSP from the very start of the fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SPORTINGGAMEZ

I just loved the Sherk build up - he really got things hyped up, talking about killing him etc.

Straight afterwards, they were like buds, and BJ invited him down to camp, lol. ITs BJs style to build up a prematch hype, good for ufc (marketing wise at least) which is then good for BJ cos its a draw to have him on the card!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

can anyone summarize this for me? cant check in work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

-Shows the breathing technique (cornerman rubbing his chest and back) in more detail.

-Shows Sean Sherk's corner performing the same excersize on him after first round of his fight against BJ Penn at UFC 84.

-Shows the breathing technique again from GSP's fight with Jon Fitch. Here we see the cornerman rubbing GSP's chest and back and then directing GSP's breathing pattern (breathe in-breathe out motions).

-Shows the breathing technique performed in the locker room before fight with BJ. GSP is wearing a T shirt and does not appear to be aware that he is being filmed.

It gives GSP and his camp a bit more credibility.
    Makes it seem like the cornerman just made a mistake in the fight against BJ, forgetting he had vaseline on his hands and just continuing with his normal corner routine.

Personally, I think even if it was a once off mistake it's still cheating and the corner should be reprimanded. But it doesn't take away from GSP's victory. Penn should go about his business in the LW division and get over it.

Advertisement