Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitty gone

Options
  • 20-02-2009 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

:mad::(

She got out thanks to a drunken housemate last night been walkin the last three hours and bound to have failed a uni test i did in record time (i had to sit it so did it and left) i have walked for near three hours around the area and nothin, i have the council number for lost pets here but its ringin out and i left the back garden door open and her food and water dish sittin out in case she finds her way back with the smell or whatever

Feel miserable man

Is there anythin else i can do/havent thought of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

How old is she ? Has she been out before ? Has she been spayed ?

All very important questions.

One of mine went missing before and I was in an awful state looking for him.

They usually return in under 3 days if they are ok. I was told this at the time and I found it was quite acurate. Anything after this time and you should start putting fliers in local shop windows and lamposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

KTRIC wrote: »
    How old is she ? Has she been out before ? Has she been spayed ?

All very important questions.

I think around seven months, no not really this is her first time not just in the back garden like and no she hasnt been spayed cos the vet said she needed to be at least six months but closer to eight before doing it something about bodily recovery time or something

GAAman wrote: »
    I think around seven months, no not really this is her first time not just in the back garden like and no she hasnt been spayed cos the vet said she needed to be at least six months but closer to eight before doing it something about bodily recovery time or something

I hate to put a dampner on things for you but its a bad time of the year for an intact female to be out and about. There'll be plenty of horny little toms around trying to have their way with her.

Have you checked your neighbours sheds and garages, with the bad weather at the moment she mght be nesting inside.

I hate to put a dampner on things for you but its a bad time of the year for an intact female to be out and about. There'll be plenty of horny little toms around trying to have their way with her.

Have you checked your neighbours sheds and garages, with the bad weather at the moment she mght be nesting inside.

Bein honest im more worried bout vehicles and dogs then toms there are sheds at the back of the house i was around the ones i could get into and i had a toy of hers with a bell as soon as she hears it she goes mental and chases it but there was nothin

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Poor you - I know what it feels like.

Knock around your neighbours and ask them to keep an eye out. Ask them to take your phone number and give you a shout if they see her.

It sounds like she's not gone long, so hopefully she'll turn up soon.

No harm to put up a few posters too, if you have a picture of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Very good advice from MsFifers, also do look for her in the close vicinity of the house, you think she is away but it's much more likely she is holed up under some stairs or in a shed. If she is terrified it will be at least a day or two before she will react to any calls or sounds.

My cat did it twice, I was going mental and she was holed up literally yards from the house, once she was sitting inside an old car parked there which I must have passed a dozen times at least. Another time she was under the stairs, I've no clue how she managed to get in there. Again she would not react at all, only after two days she made her presence noticeable...

If you have any kids in the area promise them a prize if they find her. It's midterm and they have plenty of time to look around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Snuggle Bunny

check in with your neighbours, she might have been spotted wandering around, my kitten got out last year too (I forgot to lock the catflap) and was discovered a few hours later having a doze on my next door neigbours bed:D so dont give up, I bet she's alot nearer than you think, best of luck!

Thanks for the replies folks, i took more runs around the house area still no luck :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

she'll turn up. my cat goes for days on end and has done since i got her when she was 3 months old. she'll come back demanding food and lots of attention. it's her first taste of freedom so she'll have to explore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

Cats are really independent and self-sufficient so she'll be able to take care of herself. It's very common for them to wander off for days or even weeks at a time and then come home expecting you to roll out the red carpet. Last summer our youngest cat went missing for about 3 weeks and I was sure I'd never see her again but she came home in perfect condition and hasn't wandered since. Hope she's home soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

try going out very late at night and calling to her/jingling her toy, banging her food bowl.

i have heard of a fair few tales of cats getting trapped somewhere and not being confident enough to respond to their owner during the day or the owner not hearing faint mewls that they can hear better at night.

contact local welfare groups (and vets) so if a cat matching your cat's description comes in, they know to contact you - but keep checking in to make sure she hasn't turned up as they may not contact you just due to time pressure/volunteer turnover.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

leave a downstairs window open if possible and leave some hot cooked chicken (without bones) on the window sill or some tuna - stick it in the microwave for a few seconds first to warm it & make it smell more - hopefully the smell with attract her - best of luck ;)

OP, any update on the kitty coming home ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

I'm really sorry to hear your kitten got out. Hopefully she is just busy exploring and will turn up soon. Just keep asking your neighbours to keep am eye out for her as it is also likely that someone could pick her up and think she is lost/abandoned, and also put a notice up in the local shop and vets aswell. Please keep us updated.

OP, any update on the kitty coming home ??

No :(

Well maybe, i have left her food and water dish out the back with the back gate open in the hopes she will come back for a munch

Every few hours i check the back and the water and food levels and there have been at least 3 times in the last day or two where the food and water level was significantly lower, there now there was no food left

Now i know it might be something else but the "face print" in the food is near identical to hers, like she eats down the middle so food gets pushed to either side almost in a V pattern

I just dont know if its her bein a cheeky ba*tard or something else being a cheeky ba*tard :confused:

A cat of my gran's did that once, she was hiding in a neighbour's shed and would only come out at night to eat. She was young and terrified and we managed to catch her at last but it took a longer time for her to come out for good and we could not find her in the shed under tonnes of stuff he kept there.

Kitty is back :D:D:D:D:D

One struggle to shower her, and a load of paté and purring later and all is well again

Thanks everyone :D

Edit, i had the weirdest thought that my 1000th post might be a big one :):)

GAAman wrote: »
    Kitty is back :D:D:D:D:D

One struggle to shower her, and a load of paté and purring later and all is well again

Thanks everyone :D

Ah , thats great news :D

You know you have to post a pic now , don't you ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 catzrus

That is Great news:D, delighted for you and your kitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

That's great news. It's such a horrible feeling.
    Well done!

• Advertisement

Ah , thats great news :D

You know you have to post a pic now , don't you ??

Yeah i know the rules i will post my fave pic of her from a few months ago

bel239

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Phsyche

She's lovely!

If you don't want any kittens around in a few weeks time you should think of spaying her now. A lot of charities and animal welfare groups offer discounts on the fees for this depending on your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Yay!!!!! That is such great news!

I'm v. happy to hear that. A cat I was minding is missing for 4 weeks now so I know how horrible it is to be worried about them.

Ah - I love a happy ending! :D

Great - give her and yourself a big pat on the back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

So glad she's back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

i'm delighted she's back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 DaddyOSphynx

that is fantastic news. she is gorgeous too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

That's great news!

Get her spayed asap, you don't need to wait until she is eight months.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 catmad

So pleased for you that she is back. A gorgeous little cat by the way, hope she doesn't do this to you again, it is a dreadful feeling when they don't appear when they should.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Glad she's back. But pff, you think you have trouble? I once took on an aged cat called Pernod (by his previous owners).

Moved house, and after a while the hedge began to annoy me, so I cut it down.

Unfortunately I chose the moment when Pernod was out, and the hedge being gone totally changed the smell of the place; he couldn't find his way home.

I spent that night going around the neighbourhood calling him and trying not to wake the neighbours.

Until you've seen someone peering out through the drapes at you as you stand in their garden shouting "Pernod! Pernod!" at four in the morning, you haven't really known social disapproval.

Having pets makes you strong.

Advertisement