Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Death metal

Options
  • 23-12-2008 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I don't tend to go by genres (whatever they are) when it comes to my musical inclinations and experimentations. I've come to realise, as of late however, that I'm mostly to bands of the ilk of Arsis, Decapitated, Neuraxis, The Faceless etcetera.

Anybody else into the likes of these? I adore them. I'd be up for recommendations as well lads/lassies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Necrophagist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Anybody else into the likes of these?

Definitely. Neuraxis are especially terrific.

As for recommendations, it might be a little too obvious, but seeing as you haven't mentioned them already, Cryptopsy:

The albums None So Vile and Whisper Supremacy are a great place to start.

Another band you might like is Mithras:

Absolutely love their stuff, and they've a very unique sound. Check out the album Worlds Beyond the Veil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Lol, its funny, you say you like Technical Death Metal, and yet you have Neurosis in your sig ( who are amazing btw ) . I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that by any means, just strikes me as odd, I would have thought that for the most part people that like one of the genres would tend to not like the other.

Reading back what I just wrote, I see that I actually would not agree with that post were it to come from someone else :P . I suppose its just cause I quite like the whole sludge, type stuff and can't stand the technical stuff for the most part.

Just my own predgujice so to speak :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Lol, its funny, you say you like Technical Death Metal, and yet you have Neurosis in your sig ( who are amazing btw ) . I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that by any means, just strikes me as odd, I would have thought that for the most part people that like one of the genres would tend to not like the other.

Reading back what I just wrote, I see that I actually would not agree with that post were it to come from someone else :P . I suppose its just cause I quite like the whole sludge, type stuff and can't stand the technical stuff for the most part.

It's odd, I didn't even think there was such a division with people. I like both kinds myself, bands like Neurosis and Isis. I love the furious chaotic atmosphere of the more technical bands. I'll listen to Sleep or Sunn O))) and Morbid Angel or the like, and not even think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

mp3guy wrote: »
    Necrophagist

I think Muhammad has said, for the past three years or so, a new album is coming out this year. I personally can't wait!

I've been meaning to check Mithras out, as coincidence would have it Karl. They're sounding great there (apart from the vocals, may be a grower though). Cheers for the heads-up. What do you make of the newest Neuraxis? I think it sounds like a different band, but not necessarily in a bad way. A vocalist's stamp will always bear a mark. Trilateral Progression is bounteous.

Well I do like both styles...quite a lot. It's down to personal taste though after all. I don't listen to the likes of the aforementioned bands because they can play 17,365 ± 6 notes per split-second, I just find them to be a stimulating listen. Which goes for Russian Circles, Red Sparrows, Explosions in the Sky, Neurosis and so on. They're as captivating, but in a different way. At least, that's as far as I'm concerned. I'm not one for sticking to absolutes. All for mixes of flavours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Job for a Cowboy

Gojira

The Black Dahlia Murder

New Gojira's definitely a grower.

The Black Dahlia Murder have Ryan Knight from Arsis as their lead guitarist now. Don't quite know what to make of that.

Job for a Cowboy get a far tougher time, for whatever reason, than they deserve. I don't love them by any means, but they're far from atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Most of the great ones have been mentioned, definitely check out Mithras though, well worth your time, Necrophagist played a savage gig in Dublin a few years back too.

You should also check out Arsebreed, their 'Munching the Rotten' album is brilliant:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=55002271

+1 for sludge metal too, Russian Circles and Pelican especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Can't talk about tech death without mentioning Atheist. Elements is an absolutely classic album.

Pugsley wrote: »
    Most of the great ones have been mentioned, definitely check out Mithras though, well worth your time, Necrophagist played a savage gig in Dublin a few years back too.

You should also check out Arsebreed, their 'Munching the Rotten' album is brilliant:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=55002271

+1 for sludge metal too, Russian Circles and Pelican especially.

Was that were they opened, as well as encored with Stabwound? The craic was mighty all right. Didn't see them the second time, as I opted for Red Sparrows, playing the same night as it happened.

Something, unnameable perhaps, stops me from liking Atheist. Bad taste on my part, probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

No more Decapitated unfortunately... I'veour own posters from those gigs all over my wall here.

And Necrophagist were great the last time they played down in Cork. Thursday night show as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

I do believe they'll be in Fibbers come January...

lee_arama wrote: »
    No more Decapitated unfortunately... I'veour own posters from those gigs all over my wall here.

It's been confirmed so? Don't know quite what to think. Overall though, I think they'd be better off ending it. Can't stop listening to Planetary Duality and Aa celebration of Guilt by The Faceless and Arsis respectively. The beef is brought with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Alarum
    Anata
    Brain Drill
    Kataklysm
    Origin
    Scar Symmetry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Death or Pestilence do it for me. Job For A Cowboy are pure deathcore ****e! IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Alcoholocaust

Try Blotted Science.. Ron Jarzombek's instrumental side project. VERY GOOD..

Blotted science are great all right! Prodigious musicianship.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Theory in Practice
    Demilich
    Gorguts
    Lykathé
    Nocturnus
    Psycroptic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Alcoholocaust

Blotted science are great all right! Prodigious musicianship.

I dare ye to try figure out a time signature to some of their stuff.... It'd wreck yer head..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Was that were they opened, as well as encored with Stabwound? The craic was mighty all right.
    That's the one, savage gig. Good sized crowd for the voodoo too, not too packed but enough to get a good atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Well they haven't been mentioned but an obvious choice is Nile.

Other than that I really like Aeon. Their album Rise To Dominate is a real grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Pugsley wrote: »
    Necrophagist played a savage gig in Dublin a few years back too.

I posted a video up from that gig here. October 2006

JoeyD wrote: »

Sound's perfect there! Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Best TDM band about at the moment IMO.
    Beneath the Massacre.Their "Mechanics of Dysfunction" album is frickin awesome.

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Best TDM band about at the moment IMO.
    Beneath the Massacre.Their "Mechanics of Dysfunction" album is frickin awesome.

They're aren't really death metal though, i think deathcore is the applicable term I bought an album of theirs, it's quite rubbish. Technical alright but it does naff all for me.

Gave them (Beneath the Massacre) a listening to. There's virtually no song-craft going on. Rather, excess at every opportunity. Not my thing at all, personally speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

JoeyD wrote: »

Anyone know the name of this song? Its pretty good.

sound_wave wrote: »
    Anyone know the name of this song? Its pretty good.

Didn't you wait until the end of the video? It's ignominious and pale from epitaph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Morf wrote: »
    Didn't you wait until the end of the video? It's ignominious and pale from epitaph.

Ah yes indeed. Ha! Thanks for that!

• Advertisement

On a related subject, Germany's Obscura have a new album coming out shortly. Two former Necrophagist members, namely Christian and Hannes. I'm adoring what they've on the following page. Deft is all I'll say.

www.myspace.com/realmofobscura

Advertisement