Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best frontman in rock

Options
  • 20-02-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Who is the best frontman in rock?
    I just watched Richard Ashcroft sing Bittersweet Symphony and Love is Noise at Glastonbury on Youtube and in my book he is TGFITHOR or The Greatest Frontman In The History Of Rock. Are you with me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Tallspoon wrote: »
    I just watched Richard Ashcroft sing Bittersweet Symphony and Love is Noise at Glastonbury on Youtube and in my book he is TGFITHOR or The Greatest Frontman In The History Of Rock. Are you with me?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Richard Ashcroft? not even close. Go to Youtube and type in Queen at LiveAid, and you'll see Rock's greatest ever frontman at his peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

+1 Freddie Legend, best frontman by a mile most people in rock today agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The same Richard Ashcroft who put Live 8 attendees to sleep during his version of Bittersweet Symphony with Coldplay?

Uh yeah, i think you need to watch more concert footage of bands that came out before 1991.

Now that i've got the sarcasm out of my system for the day.

Yeah, Freddie Mercury has to get the #1 spot here for all time. And there are several other worthy contenders for second place too.

Robert Plant
    Jim Morrison
    David Lee Roth

... to name a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Are you having a laugh??
    god he's as bor....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Freddie FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Jesus H...what the rest of the folk are saying +1. The tunes might not be to the taste of everybody, but if you want dynamic frontmen, you'll be searching a long time before you find somebody who gets within an asses roar of Mrs Mercury's young lad...

Now playing: The Lightning Seeds - Pure
    via FoxyTunes

This is gonna be a landslide of Freddie, just kill the thread already before it turns into a trainwreck :D

Also bear in mind, his physical health was beginning to decline at around this stage too, their live Magic tour the year after this would be their final as a result of it. And he still blew his contenders for best frontmen out of the water. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Sorry, but i assumed the title "who IS the best frontman in rock" meant the discussion was talking about current bands/frontmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There is another guy ( called "Jauguer" or "Jagger" or something :p ) that springs to mind. While he is now well past his sell by date, he was up there with the best of them in his hey day.

• Advertisement

Driver 8 wrote: »
    Sorry, but i assumed the title "who IS the best frontman in rock" meant the discussion was talking about current bands/frontmen?

Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups, it says "Best frontman", to me that says, is or was. :)

He also mentioned "the history of rock", now if i recall correctly, history means times past, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Freddie
    "The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be".
    (c) Bret Hart, but equally applicable here :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Rigsby wrote: »
    There is another guy ( called "Jauguer" or "Jagger" or something :p ) that springs to mind. While he is now well past his sell by date, he was up there with the best of them in his hey day.

Ah yes... but we all know a rolling stone gathers no moss. ;)

Although i've heard the only thing that can go into 13 more than once has something to do with a rolling stone ;)

Freddie
    "The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be".
    (c) Bret Hart, but equally applicable here :D

OK. APART from Freddy, who comes 2nd ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭the hero game

MARK E SMITH
    definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Freddie is a definite, seen 'em at Slane in 1986, was only 12 but still remember some of it. Amazing.

Also, James Hetfield knows how to rock and interact with the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

After Freddie.....Id say Angus Young. He's not the lead singer but definitley AC/DC's frontman.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Although i've heard the only thing that can go into 13 more than once has something to do with a rolling stone ;)

Yes. And that only increased his iconic frontman image. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭carlowguy32

1, freddy the great pretender2, w axl rose3, liam gallagher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My da would kill all your your das.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Mr Mercury then Axl Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

Phil Lynott.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Ever...probably Freddie Mercury.

Best living frontman has to be Springsteen.

Yes. And that only increased his iconic frontman image. :)

Um.. you do realise that i was referring to Bill Wyman, right? ;)

liam gallagher

Sorry but no, we're talking about a guy who stands in front of a mic with his hands behind his back for 2/3rds of an entire set. Disqualified! NEXT!

Springsteen would be up there alright, another one left out which I also think needs to be mentioned would be Steven Tyler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not a big Queen fan at all, but Freddie Mercury was one hell of a frontman.

Not sure who the best living one is but, whether you love him or hate him, Bono would certainly be up there. He's a great charismatic live performer.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Um.. you do realise that i was referring to Bill Wyman, right? ;)

Wrong ! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Historically, I'd suggest Freddie Mercury.

Best I've seen is Matt Bellamy. Muse may not be the world's best band, but damn they put on a show.

And he has one of the best guitar poses ever. :pac:

Wrong ! :o

Yeah, Wyman married Mandy Smith when she was 18, but he'd apparently started going out with her since she was 13, while Wyman would have been 47 when they started going out.

Many a joke did the rounds about that.
    Anyway, sorry for taking this off topic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Mercury, Axl Rose(before he lost the plot and fired the band), Hetfield in that order.

Advertisement