Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best frontman in rock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Mr Hendrix for my money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

Get listening to more music before you come out with irrational ill-thought statements like that. God I knew this thread would anger me! :rolleyes:

Jake Burns
    Axl
    Phillo
    Robert Plant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Best I've never seen: Axl Rose

Best I've ever seen: Iggy Pop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Springsteen. In his prime his performances outshone even Freddie in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Historically, I'd suggest Freddie Mercury.

Best I've seen is Matt Bellamy. Muse may not be the world's best band, but damn they put on a show.

And he has one of the best guitar poses ever. :pac:

Nah, He never really interacts with the crowd that much, one of the best performers maybe but thats kinda different then being a frontman.

My one goes to Dave Grohl as I'm sure anyone who has seen Foo Fighters live can testify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

james hetfield is number 1 by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bowie.

But I guess it wasn't really a band with him. He's just got great stage presence. He really stands out on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Mike Patton??? That legendary concert in Lisbon with GnR & Soundgarden (which they asumed was Saville for some odd reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Nah, He never really interacts with the crowd that much, one of the best performers maybe but thats kinda different then being a frontman.

My one goes to Dave Grohl as I'm sure anyone who has seen Foo Fighters live can testify.

Ah I've seen 'em both but preferred Bellamy. But different strokes and all that. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't really argue with Freddie Mercury tbh...

I'd give a mention to Eddie Vedder though, he's fairly nuts on stage (and writes good songs!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

James Hetfield
    Axl Rose
    Eddie Vedder
    Mick Jagger
    David Bowie
    Freddie Mercury
    Steven Tyler
    Phil Lynott
    Rory Gallagher
    Noel Gallagher(!!!!!) I'll tell me ma if anyone hits me over this one:D:D
    Meatloaf for the pure unadulterated showmanship back in his heyday..
    Rob Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Why am I the only one to have mentioned Iggy Pop so far?

Just coz he did that car insurance add, no need to hold that against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

nobody from oasis is allowed in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

MonicaBing wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher(!!!!!) I'll tell me ma if anyone hits me over this one:D:D

*whack* and tell yer ma to buy you a brain as Noel isn't the frontman.
    Meatloaf for the pure unadulterated showmanship back in his heyday..

He still has it. I saw him about five years ago and can still put on a show, and that was when he was out of hospital a couple of weeks earlier due to heart complications.

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    Why am I the only one to have mentioned Iggy Pop so far?

I threw in enough suggestions, but I will back you up. Saw him supporting Madonna at Slane (was roped into that one folks, don't hang me) with The Stooges, and eventhough their set was cut short, the guy can still f*cking go for his age. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Best Front man would be Bruce Springsteen or Meat Loaf for the present. Wow.

Best there was - Freddie Mercury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Meat Loaf - HA!!! You're funny guys ;)

Mine would have to Dave Grohl coz i saw Foo Fighters live and hes just amazing!

But I'd say he'd even be topped by the legend that is Eddie Vedder, have yet to see Pearl Jam live but I'm positive I'l be blown away when I do! :D

Also a shout out to Paul Noonan of Bell X1, tremendous stage presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jonnysgotaband

Chad kroeger of nickelback-always joking around and charismatic,great voice too

Meat Loaf - HA!!! You're funny guys ;)

Mine would have to Dave Grohl coz i saw Foo Fighters live and hes just amazing!

Haven't been to many gigs then, have you?
    Remember, you judge a frontman by the crowd reaction, not of what you think of the music. I've seen both Meatloaf, and Foo Fighters live, but them both on the same personal level, good listening but not essential listening. But Grohl doesn't even hold a candle to Meatloaf, probably down to experience.

Unfair comparison as well, as Meatloaf's live shows are almost Rock Opera really, as opposed to a guy with a guitar belting out songs for 2 hours.
    But I'd say he'd even be topped by the legend that is Eddie Vedder, have yet to see Pearl Jam live but I'm positive I'l be blown away when I do! :D

And the fact that you're a total Pearl Jam fanboy doesn't alter your judgment in this debate whatsoever ;)
    Also a shout out to Paul Noonan of Bell X1, tremendous stage presence.

You've got to be kidding me! Great voice, but i've seen BellX1 live footage, he's about as much stage charisma as a brick.

Also regarding Bowie, his live Tin Machine stuff was actually pretty awesome, especially in support for the second album, so he can be counted in this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Phil Lynott

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Chad kroeger of nickelback-always joking around and charismatic,great voice too

comickroeger1.png

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,941 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Remember, you judge a frontman by the crowd reaction, not of what you think of the music. I've seen both Meatloaf, and Foo Fighters live, but them both on the same personal level, good listening but not essential listening. But Grohl doesn't even hold a candle to Meatloaf, probably down to experience.

Unfair comparison as well, as Meatloaf's live shows are almost Rock Opera really, as opposed to a guy with a guitar belting out songs for 2 hours.

You took the words right out of my mouth, it must have been while...eh...you get it!

I saw Meat Loaf in Bundoran and that was some show. Talk about bringing the theatre to the music stage!

Can't compare it to Foo Fighters coz I have never seen them(and don't really plan to), but I can say that Meat Loaf is right up there with Bruce Springsteen for me in regards of putting on a damn good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Just throwing two into the mix, Steven Tyler and John Bon Jovi. Steven Tyler speaks for himself but Bon Jove managed to make his band one of America's biggest soley on his own charisma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Just throwing two into the mix, Steven Tyler and John Bon Jovi. Steven Tyler speaks for himself but Bon Jove managed to make his band one of America's biggest soley on his own charisma

I love that Tyler quote:

75 85. I call them the wonder years. I wonder what happened to them :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Then - Freddie
    Now - Serj Tankian

Bubs101 wrote: »

I have to agree here too, Jovi are still going due to their touring and the gigs they churn out, because it sure as hell isn't for the amazing albums they have churned out from 92 to present day. Jon's stage presence does have a lot to answer for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

And the fact that you're a total Pearl Jam fanboy doesn't alter your judgment in this debate whatsoever ;)

You've got to be kidding me! Great voice, but i've seen BellX1 live footage, he's about as much stage charisma as a brick.

Also regarding Bowie, his live Tin Machine stuff was actually pretty awesome, especially in support for the second album, so he can be counted in this category.

Right, so let me get this straight - you berate me for picking a guy who writes good music (its a matter of taste i suppose,but everyone can see hes a great musician) over a guy who gets other people to write his stuff, try to pass it off as his and then sue the actual writer....
    Then you say Paul Noonan doesn't have stage presence even tho you've never seen him live?

Right you're brilliant! :rolleyes:

I know you say stage-presence,but that must surely include musical ability...

Also forgot to mention Anthony Kiedis of the Chilis, very average singer but he does have great presence live (and yes I have seen him) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

Michael Hutchens deserves a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

you judge a frontman by the crowd reaction, not of what you think of the music.

I'm gonna throw in a wild card - Slash fronting Velvet revolver - Snott Weiland was the lead singer, but slash was the front man & has amazing presence...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

pljudge321 wrote: »
    comickroeger1.png

Sorry, couldn't resist. :p

I love it :p

Advertisement