Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best frontman in rock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Right, so let me get this straight - you berate me for picking a guy who writes good music (its a matter of taste i suppose,but everyone can see hes a great musician) over a guy who gets other people to write his stuff, try to pass it off as his and then sue the actual writer....

I don't know why i'm responding to this but here goes...
    And i'll break this down, even speak slowly... in a language that you might understand...

On the subject of being a frontman, live performer, and general all round crowd pleaser, which is what we're talking about here as far as being a frontman goes (you still with me, or did we listen to Vitalogy too many times to warrant a headache?), it doesn't really matter who wrote the songs! David Lee Roth is considered one of the best frontmen going, and he did a few covers with Van Halen, as well as a solo artist. Does that deter him from being a frontman? Doubt it!
    Then you say Paul Noonan doesn't have stage presence even tho you've never seen him live?

I said I saw live footage of him, same difference bar the atmosphere. I never saw Freddie Mercury live either, but that doesn't stop me from telling that he was an amazing frontman!
    Right you're brilliant! :rolleyes:

Pull your head out of my arse, Charlie. I don't need you to tell me that, I already know. Anyway, to get back on topic...

How many times have you seen Meatloaf live, yourself? Or are you being a hypocrite for being the sake of one?
    I know you say stage-presence,but that must surely include musical ability...

Music ability yes, but not essentially writing ability. Now think long and hard about that one for a second.
    Also forgot to mention Anthony Kiedis of the Chilis, very average singer but he does have great presence live (and yes I have seen him) ;)

I'll agree and disagree there, Saw them live twice in 1994, (Dalymount and Reading) and they still go down as one of the most boring bands i've ever seen live. That said, the One Hot Minute era is probably the weakest point of their careers, and the Slane DVD looks like a major improvement by comparison, but of course, that's null and void by your standards... right? ;)

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm gonna throw in a wild card - Slash fronting Velvet revolver - Snott Weiland was the lead singer, but slash was the front man & has amazing presence...

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Angus Young syndrome. Saw Velvet Revolver last year, and all eyes were definitely on Slash for that gig, I can't and won't disagree with that one at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    And i'll break this down, even speak slowly... in a language that you might understand...

Hey, knock that crap off. You can make a point without being insultingly condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

talent and sheer on stage energy - matthew bellamy of muse.

or maybe zak from rage!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

my two favourite front me have already been backed to the hilt in this thread with bruce and meat loaf, so imo uys, keep it goin!!! thin it is fair that jon bon jovi gets a mention but i think its the group dynamic on that one and not "best frontman" situation because jbj relies heavily on sambora durin the gigs. probably going to get absolutely lambasted for this but seein as i just saw them last night gotta nominate Brandon Flowers, the drawback being his complete lack of interaction with the crowd. others i would nominate for being good but not top of the pile would be Jack L (of course a smaller scale than bruce and the loaf), Johnny Borrell deserves creditable mention for a newer frontman to be gettin to legend status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

*whack* and tell yer ma to buy you a brain as Noel isn't the frontman.

He still has it. I saw him about five years ago and can still put on a show, and that was when he was out of hospital a couple of weeks earlier due to heart complications.

Oi Mate, whack away at yourself, to a lot of Oasis fans, Noel is the the true frontman to Oasis.
    Plus saw The loaf @ the point 2 yrs back & he was amazing, i was dragged along against my will, but loved him, the whole crowd was involved in his set which was very operatic theatre, the sweat poured out of him that night, not too mention half the men there when they saw the 2 hotties he has backing him!:D

MonicaBing wrote: »
    not too mention half the men there when they saw the 2 hotties he has backing him!:D

One of them was probably his daughter, Pearl. She tends to do backing vocals a lot of the time.

Yeah, i don't know how beast creates beauty either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kevinmcm

Bono
    Mick Jagger
    John Lennon
    Bob Marley
    Nick Cave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Hey, knock that crap off. You can make a point without being insultingly condescending.

+ 1.

This is about opinions whether you like it or not, stop judging other people's music preferences and opinions.

Any chance of banning that fella if he keeps that up? or is that wishful thinking...

budgemook wrote: »
    talent and sheer on stage energy - matthew bellamy of muse.

or maybe zak from rage!

Have to agree there, saw both live and they just carry the crowd. It helps if you have a great band behind ya tho!
    Zack is even better live than on CD's, didn't think twud be possible :eek: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Have seen Queen live (Slane '86)

The Stones (Wembley '90)

Also, a host of major acts thru the '90s. too many to mention.

My vote goes to (& I can't BELIEVE thease haven't been mentioned yet)

Roger Daltrey & Pete Townshend!!!

The Who; Have you forgotten how good they are????

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

One of them was probably his daughter, Pearl. She tends to do backing vocals a lot of the time.

Yeah, i don't know how beast creates beauty either. :)

Oooh i know she's hot, but no twas'nt her, he had the stage set out great with the band, On the left of Meatloaf, he had a cute blonde boy on guitar, with the hot Brunette singer, then to his right onth estage, he had athe cute brunette boy on bass with the shmoking hot Blonde singer! :D

Jays, nobody knew where to look!

Any chance of banning that fella if he keeps that up? or is that wishful thinking...

Any chance of you actually answer my questions in post #62? Rather than trying to trying to be smart?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Cathal Coughlan, Microdisney and The Fatima Mansions.

I said I saw live footage of him, same difference bar the atmosphere. I never saw Freddie Mercury live either, but that doesn't stop me from telling that he was an amazing frontman!

How many times have you seen Meatloaf live, yourself? Or are you being a hypocrite for being the sake of one?

First of all you know the name of a Pearl Jam album...kudos! :rolleyes:

I don't think you can determine whether a frontman engages the crowd unless you've seen them live. You basically admit that you've never seen Foos, Bell X1, even Queen in the flesh and yet you still say Meatloaf are the best (or along those lines)
    No I've never seen Meatloaf and never will (I'm under 50 yasee). I'm not saying that they're crap live but, you stated rightly before, that they're different genres - Rock and Rock Opera.
    The OP said best frontman in Rock ergo not 'Rock Opera'.

But whatever floats your boat dude.

First of all you know the name of a Pearl Jam album...kudos! :rolleyes:

I know the names of all of them, i just don't obsess about it.
    I don't think you can determine whether a frontman engages the crowd unless you've seen them live. You basically admit that you've never seen Foos, Bell X1, even Queen in the flesh and yet you still say Meatloaf are the best (or along those lines)

Wooooow back up a bit there, did you even read my post?
    I said i had seen both Meatloaf and The Foo Fighters and that it was an unfair comparison because of two types of shows. Go back and read my post.

I never said that Meatloaf was the best, I said he ranked up there with them, because he does.

So basically you're saying you can't judge a live performance unless you've been there live and saw it yourself? What utter toss, i'm sorry. How are present journalists going to rate past acts to compare them to present and future acts? Please, give me a break!
    No I've never seen Meatloaf and never will (I'm under 50 yasee). I'm not saying that they're crap live but, you stated rightly before, that they're different genres - Rock and Rock Opera.
    The OP said best frontman in Rock ergo not 'Rock Opera'.

But whatever floats your boat dude.

Actually there were quite a number of people from about the age of 16-24 at the last Meatloaf gig I attended in 2004, and for the record, i'm under 50 as well. So you're admitting that Bell X1 would have a better frontman than Meatloaf. Again, what are you comparing that against? Seeing as you haven't seen Meatloaf life either. So everyone else can't compare with whatever they didn't see, but you can? Riiiight!

A lot of things float my boat kid, but ignorance isn't one of them. :)

I know the names of all of them, i just don't obsess about it.

Wooooow back up a bit there, did you even read my post?
    I said i had seen both Meatloaf and The Foo Fighters and that it was an unfair comparison because of two types of shows. Go back and read my post.

I never said that Meatloaf was the best, I said he ranked up there with them, because he does.

So basically you're saying you can't judge a live performance unless you've been there live and saw it yourself? What utter toss, i'm sorry. How are present journalists going to rate past acts to compare them to present and future acts? Please, give me a break!

Actually there were quite a number of people from about the age of 16-24 at the last Meatloaf gig I attended in 2004, and for the record, i'm under 50 as well. So you're admitting that Bell X1 would have a better frontman than Meatloaf. Again, what are you comparing that against? Seeing as you haven't seen Meatloaf life either. So everyone else can't compare with whatever they didn't see, but you can? Riiiight!

A lot of things float my boat kid, but ignorance isn't one of them. :)

Man you're just arguing for the sake of arguing! :confused:

Throwing in some patronising remarks like 'kid' to try and prove you're right :rolleyes:

I would say agree to disagree but you don't seem like the type that would let it go! ;)

Also, back on topic, I have to add the late, great Layne Staley of AIC, and Josh Homme of QOTSA.:)

Man you're just arguing for the sake of arguing! :confused:

How exactly? You claim that one can't judge a frontman unless they have seen them live in the flesh. By that logic, anyone under the age of 30 can't judge the stage presence of Jim Morrison, Bon Scott, Jimi Hendrix? That's not arguing for the sake of arguing, that's what you're actually claiming.

And if you actually believe that, then I actually don't know what to tell you there. :)
    Throwing in some patronising remarks like 'kid' to try and prove you're right :rolleyes:

You love to be sarcastic, but if responded in the same way, you throw your toys out of the pram. I'm not trying to prove i'm right, and like I said in your PM that you felt obliged to send me, if i'm trying to prove i'm right, then tell me how. Rather than just flipping off a random statement.

If anything, i've been trying to prove that some of your statements are questionable, possibly wrong. But there's a huge difference in you being wrong and me being right. Difference of opinion playing a big part.
    I would say agree to disagree but you don't seem like the type that would let it go! ;)

I couldn't care less if anyone agrees or disagrees with me as long as they can understand my point of view and I can understand theirs. Clearly that's not the case here, is it?

I couldn't care less if anyone agrees or disagrees with me as long as they can understand my point of view and I can understand theirs. Clearly that's not the case here, is it?

God I knew you'd respond in that sort of idiotic way.

I understand your point of view - you think Meatloaf is great live, I don't (after watching a couple videos of him live), you think you don't need to see a band live to guage the crowd reaction, I do. I think thats it.

Unless you have another brilliant, irrepressible point of view do you hold dear that you have yet to enlighten me with??

Also, claiming I'm obsessed with Pearl Jam, when you don't know me personally is hilarious!!! :rolleyes:

God I knew you'd respond in that sort of idiotic way.

I thought it was clear, straightforward and quite reasonable actually.
    I understand your point of view - you think Meatloaf is great live, I don't (after watching a couple videos of him live), you think you don't need to see a band live to guage the crowd reaction, I do. I think thats it.

And you don't see the hypocracy in that statement when you haven't seen Meatloaf to judge?

Yet you jumped down my throat when i said the same about Bell X1, right?

Nothing idiotic about the two comparisons there i'm afraid.
    Unless you have another brilliant, irrepressible point of view do you hold dear that you have yet to enlighten me with??

There's the sarcasm again :rolleyes:
    Also, claiming I'm obsessed with Pearl Jam, when you don't know me personally is hilarious!!! :rolleyes:

Well given that you let your high passion for them blind you into not being able to tell the difference between a remaster of Ten, a remix of Ten and a re-recording of Ten made me question that. And you can't blame me for that because you couldn't tell the difference.

• Advertisement

There's the sarcasm again :rolleyes:

Oh I see what ya did there! You pointed out me being sarcastic... you're soooo clever man!! ;) :rolleyes:
    Well given that you let your high passion for them blind you into not being able to tell the difference between a remaster of Ten, a remix of Ten and a re-recording of Ten made me question that. And you can't blame me for that because you couldn't tell the difference.

OMG you point out my ignorance from a completely unrelated thread to try and prove your greater-than-human intelligence! I'm blinded - blinded and defeated! Defeated! Oh the shame of it all!!!

*Resorted to all-out sarcasm coz tried and failed to communicate using rational language* ;)

Anyway any other suggestions of a good rock frontman?

Coz shawnraven doesn't seem to be suggesting much! :D

Coz shawnraven doesn't seem to be suggesting much! :D

That's probably because he suggested more than his fair share at the beginning of the thread, which you obviously failed to acknowledge.
    That's called contribution.

But ignorance is bliss, as they say. :)

That's probably because he suggested more than his fair share at the beginning of the thread, which you obviously failed to acknowledge.
    That's called contribution.

But ignorance is bliss, as they say. :)

Im sure you'd know man!

*Also by putting a smiley face at the end of a patronising remark, doesn't make said remark 'cute'* ;)

Im sure you'd know man!

*Also by putting a smiley face at the end of a patronising remark, doesn't make said remark 'cute'* ;)

As opposed to being counter-patronising every opportunity you get?
    Whatever.

Indeed!

Anyway, anyone mention Micheal Stipe? Great singer and unreal stage presence. Saw REM at ****** last year and they got one of the biggest crows of the whole weekend. Second only to RATM and maybe KOL!

I think Stipe was mentioned earlier in the thread. He'll be up there alright. I'll be honest, i can't stand much REM after 1992, but Stipe was giving people lessons on stage presence long before people had heard of them over here. So we'd be talking 84-87 era. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

cant belive no one has mentioned BONO

as for frontmen i havent seen , my choice would be the lizzard king

irish_bob wrote: »
    cant belive no one has mentioned BONO

He was mentioned somewhere in the first three pages of the thread.

Mike Patton, nobody can do what he does. The range of vocals live, the charisma, the mayhem, the precision, the sarcasm.

Tom Waits

• Advertisement

Mike Patton, nobody can do what he does. The range of vocals live, the charisma, the mayhem, the precision, the sarcasm.

... the 50 million odd bands he's been involved with, it's almost impossible NOT to see the guy live! :)

Advertisement