Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenisk reduce size of yogurt containers, but not price

Options
  • 20-02-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from the shop and have noticed that Glenisk have dropped the size of one of the cotainers of yogurt they sell from 150g to 125g. I have been buying these yogurts from Glenisk for over a year. The change in volume was not advertised on the container, or on a poster near the product, or on a sticker on the cartons. It was only when I got home and started to load the cartons into my fridge that I noticed the difference.

Changing the volume isn't necessarily a big deal if you drop the price accordingly. But no, Glenisk didn't do this. They kept the price of the old 150g carton for the new 125g one.

To my mind, making this change is deceiptful and deceptive. I for one will no longer be buying any more Glenisk products.

There...rant over!

Edit: Here's their contact from their webpage if you would like to voice your disapproval to Glenisk. I did!

http://www.glenisk.com/links/links-resources/contact-info

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why do you think a company would put up a advertisment campain saying we're reducing the size of our containers but keep the price the same? That would be the same as a company advertising every time they raise their prices (hint it happens every single week on one item or another).

The most likely answer you will get is one of the below:

1) We did not want to raise price due to increased costs
    2) Part of "rebranding" our product line
    3) We've improved the receipe and added more fruit instead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Cadbury did the same a year ago
    Reduced their big chocolate bars from 250g to 230g but maintained the price.
    I emailed them at the time and got no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Nody wrote: »
    Why do you think a company would put up a advertisment campain saying we're reducing the size of our containers but keep the price the same? That would be the same as a company advertising every time they raise their prices (hint it happens every single week on one item or another).

The most likely answer you will get is one of the below:

1) We did not want to raise price due to increased costs
    2) Part of "rebranding" our product line
    3) We've improved the receipe and added more fruit instead

Do you not think it would be a good idea for a company to be upfront with its customers? To say that because of (one of your three points) we are changing our products?

To change a product, but not the price is dishonest IMO.

What do you think would the reaction would be if the ESB put up their prices, but didn't tell anyone. So you open your bill and then find out that its gone up! That's a terrible way to do business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

rosboy wrote:
    Do you not think it would be a good idea for a company to be upfront with its customers? To say that because of (one of your three points) we are changing our products?
    No, I think they would be most likely be very stupid in doing so; it is very rare that a company has the skill to handle negative news as advertisment.
    rosboy wrote:
    To change a product, but not the price is dishonest IMO.
    Most companies change their product multiple times a year for promotions, increase in size, new bottle/box and what ever. Guess what? That change is not for free and you, the customer, will have to pay for it some where. This can be in higher prices, less content, cheaper parts, lower cut for the supplier (less suppliers/stores carry it) etc. What you've seen is one of the classical ways of paying for the promotion by reducing content and keeping the price the same. The alternative is that they raise the price which would have people bitching about the unjustified price increase on product X instead.
    rosboy wrote: »
    What do you think would the reaction would be if the ESB put up their prices, but didn't tell anyone. So you open your bill and then find out that its gone up! That's a terrible way to do business.
    Do you honestly think ESB advertise price increases out the good of their heart or because they are forced by law to do so?

As for bad way to run business; so what you're saying is that pretty much every single company should advertise every single price increase every single time it happens or they are terrible in doing business? Well I guess then that pretty much every company in the world are terruble at doing business since you've just declared that to be so.

Now here is my Friday news for you: There's only one law for a company and anything else you hear is pure and utter BS; "Bottom line profit rules all." There, you've had it. Customer is always right, customer line, after support, replacement programs etc. are all in there only for the profit and nothing else. If the company thinks they can get more profit by wearing pink spandex and dress up as Ali G every friday they will; if they think they can get more bottom line profit from offering phone support to a deaf they will do that. If they think they can make more bottom line profit by kissing your ass and telling you that you are the emperor of earth and your will is law then they will; but don't fool yourself it is only about the profit, nothing else..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It's hardly dishonest...

The size is printed clearly on the side of the container, and the price is also clearly displayed.

What would be the cost of printing up flyers/posters etc to advertise the change? Would shops display them? Would shoppers even take any notice? In short, why bother.. the content size and price are clearly displayed, you just chose not to read them.

• Advertisement

Mightn't the fault be the shopkeepers, and not Glenisks'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

rosboy wrote: »
    I'm just back from the shop and have noticed that Glenisk have dropped the size of one of the cotainers of yogurt they sell from 150g to 125g. I have been buying these yogurts from Glenisk for over a year. The change in volume was not advertised on the container, or on a poster near the product, or on a sticker on the cartons. It was only when I got home and started to load the cartons into my fridge that I noticed the difference.

Changing the volume isn't necessarily a big deal if you drop the price accordingly. But no, Glenisk didn't do this. They kept the price of the old 150g carton for the new 125g one.

To my mind, making this change is deceiptful and deceptive. I for one will no longer be buying any more Glenisk products.

There...rant over!

Edit: Here's their contact from their webpage if you would like to voice your disapproval to Glenisk. I did!

http://www.glenisk.com/links/links-resources/contact-info

much and all as I have sympathy and agree with your argument I'm afraid you missed the boat on this one.

Cadburys,Pringles,lever bros,proctor and gamble have been doin this over the last year or two in a bid to appear not to have risen prices instead the have "adjusted" their pack sizes.

Its a common enough business practise but its been happening for years past too. When Level Bros changed their Persil sizes from the "E" ratings to actual KG's of weight they took the chance then to adjust the size from 1.2kg to 1kg at the same time.

sorry mate live with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OP
    Even my local chipper gave me about 30% less chips than usual the other night..good for my health but another small example of an under-handed rip-off...you will probably start to see this become the norm...to be honest, I wouldn't have noticed if the price of yogurts went up but would notice the difference in the volume of the container..- things like crisp packets, choc bars, and pub mixers have been doing this for years- its under handed alright. but will become more prevalent now for a wider selection of goods..marketeers tend to mask the change by saying..new improved recipe, or more convenient carry pack :)... as much as I want to and try my best to support Irish produce/jobs etc, if the Irish consumer is continually ripped of by both government and retailer, its a matter of time that we'll all be going across the border for our shopping....and when that happens, it will be the end of Ireland Inc, and we'll be pleading for England to step in, and take us over (because the EU won't want to know) ..finally...a united Ireland :D

Advertisement