Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin GPS-Map-Source-Transferring Maps to GPS problem

Options
  • 20-02-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Im having trouble transferring maps from Map-Source to my GPS. I successfully installed SMC contour maps into Map-Source recently, but need to be able to view these on the GPS.
    I can transfer way-points no problem, but i cant transfer maps, or routes, and when i try to unlock the maps, its telling me the unlock wizard cannot be started.
    Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK, you can't. Sorry. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anan1 wrote: »
    AFAIK, you can't. Sorry. :-)
    Errm, yes you can :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It kind of depends which Garmin receiver you have. For one of my older receivers (Garmin Quest) I needed to multi-select the tiles from the contour maps along with the tiles from the current City Navigator product, and transfer the entire map-pack in one go. The Quest didn't have an external memory card slot. Don't think you need to do this with a device that has an external mem. card slot, but I could be wrong. Have you selected all of the tiles? What happens when you try and send them to the device?

It kind of depends which Garmin receiver you have. For one of my older receivers (Garmin Quest) I needed to multi-select the tiles from the contour maps along with the tiles from the current City Navigator product, and transfer the entire map-pack in one go. The Quest didn't have an external memory card slot. Don't think you need to do this with a device that has an external mem. card slot, but I could be wrong. Have you selected all of the tiles? What happens when you try and send them to the device?
    It works in exactly the same way with a mapping unit such as a Vista HCx with a memory card slot, or a similar unit with built-in memory for maps such as the Venture HC., i.e. start up Mapsource, select the necessary tiles, from multiple map sets if required. They are then compiled into one .IMG file (gmapsupp.img) and transferred to the unit's memory, whether it's on a card or built-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sorry, I was under the impression that no maps other than Garmin's own could be transferred onto the reciever.:o I suppose OSI maps are still out, though?

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sorry, I was under the impression that no maps other than Garmin's own could be transferred onto the receiver.:o
    No, you can make your own maps, if you've got the time and the patience. There are Public Domain / Shareware tools to do it. The SMC used these to create the contour maps from freely available NASA Space Shuttle synthetic radar data (SRTM data).
    I suppose OSI maps are still out, though?
    For the time being at least. According to someone I know at the OSi, Garmin have bought the rights to use OSi mapping, and may bring out a product at some time, but what form this product will take exactly is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Alun wrote: »
    It works in exactly the same way with a mapping unit such as a Vista HCx with a memory card slot, or a similar unit with built-in memory for maps such as the Venture HC., i.e. start up Mapsource, select the necessary tiles, from multiple map sets if required. They are then compiled into one .IMG file (gmapsupp.img) and transferred to the unit's memory, whether it's on a card or built-in.
    Thanks for the update Alun. Do you need to include the City Navigator tiles as well? I'm under the impression that I do not need to do this with my current receiver (Zumo 550), but needed to include them for my old receiver (Quest).

Thanks for the update Alun. Do you need to include the City Navigator tiles as well? I'm under the impression that I do not need to do this with my current receiver (Zumo 550), but needed to include them for my old receiver (Quest).
    Only for receivers that don't have them "built-in" such as nuvi's, zumo's etc. or if you have bought a sd card from garmin with the maps installed rather than on DVD and installing them yourself. On these units the built-in maps are in a file called gmapprom.img, either in the unit's own memory or on a Garmin supplied card, and any additional maps you install are put into gmapsupp.img (the 'supp' means supplementary).

So you can install these contour maps onto your nuvi for example, and the contour lines will overlay the City Navigator maps. The only "snag" is that on the SMC maps, some of the water masses aren't that accurately mapped, and these overlay the more accurate representations of the CN maps, which looks a little odd. See screenshot of Glendalough and the Upper Lake ...

jrveb9.jpg

I keep planning on hacking the SMC maps to remove the water masses, but have never got around to it.

Advertisement