Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Party - Shame on you

Options
  • 20-02-2009 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

As a former Green party supporter I physically cried when I saw this. This was the reason I campaigned and voted for them at the last election.

And this is the reason I will never vote for them again.

Gormley, Ryan and co ... hang your heads in shame. You will never be believed again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

I spent an hour debating with my local green party candidate yesterday evening. My main question was "How can you justify propping up the builder's party?". I think I will sent him a link to remind him of this video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

dan boyle said today you can tell them what you think in 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

That is the first time I watched that ad, I am going to send a email right now to the greens also highlighting this link. What happened to the kids wishes! As soon as they get a sniff at power its all forgotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

You couldn't make that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

Well in fairness to the government, they fulfilled one of the kids wishes.

More time with their dads.

Cos their dads are now on the dole.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

I've never seen that before - to be honest, I had to turn it off before the end (just when the kid blows the kiss) cos I was welling up.

The Green's have sold us down the river in exchange for the crumbs off the FF table - I hope they are proud of themselves... because, as one of their ex-voters, I am not.

Disgraceful.. they should call an end to this farce of a Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I, too, voted Green. I was young enough to have ideals. I am young enough to forgive them and vote for them again on one condition. They grow a bl**dy spine.

How can they realistically support the party they are in power with when they are such odds?! Trying to get us out of our cars and into buses that are no longer going to be there. Trying to enforce planning laws with a party owned by developers.

I have no idea who I will be voting for come the next election. Not FF and not FG. If the Greens prove themselves, they will get my vote. I don't really want to vote for Labour based on what they did last time they were in power and the independents in my area aren't that wonderful.

No wonder people spoil their ballots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could somebody rigg it please so that every green party member whenever they look at a screen, be it telly or computer, in the next few days see nothing but this video on a constant loop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

*Honey* wrote: »
    I've never seen that before - to be honest, I had to turn it off before the end (just when the kid blows the kiss) cos I was welling up.

The Green's have sold us down the river in exchange for the crumbs off the FF table - I hope they are proud of themselves... because, as one of their ex-voters, I am not.

Disgraceful.. they should call an end to this farce of a Government.

The reason the coalition is made up of the partners that it contains is so that if the greens or a few independents walk away FF will still have a voting majority. It certainly wasn't built for stability, if it had been they would've gone for Labour and not four or five different positions as they did after the election. So even if the greens left the present government would still keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

haha wow, what a find!

Clearly Trevor realised the greens could never live up to this when they hopped in bed with FF so jumped ship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Below is a copy of email correspondence between John Gormley and myself. It appears that he doesn't realise that he is actually part of the Government, instead of taking action he thinks expressing his views to the media is enough, who is actually running the country, wtf?

Minister,

It is quite obvious that major frauds and deceptions have been
    perpetrated against the Irish people by bankers in this country. You
    are the Government. When are we going to see these people arrested
    and charged? There are poor people serving prison sentences in
    Mountjoy for shoplifting yet you and your colleagues are turning a
    blind eye to white collar crime and making this country a laughing
    stock.
    Instead of sacking and prosecuting these people you are letting them
    resign, retire with golden handshakes or taking no action at all.
    The people of Ireland are watching you with disbelief.
    Shame on you.

John Fahy

Dear Mr Fahy,

Thank you for your correspondence.

I agree with you that the small elite of banking executives that have helped land in us in this position must be held to account. I have spoken about this to the national media and my views are well known. You can find a link here to a press release I issued on this issue.

I hope that this information is of some interest to you.

Kind regards,

John Gormley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh dear I'm not sure which is more contemptible - the PPB film or those who fell for it.

The Brains-Trust that dreamt that little fantasy up knew perfectly well it was a cheap appeal for votes, not a manifesto.

That said as the Greens did commission it the opposition should play it back as thier PPB come the next elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

in fairness i think its a disgrace to use the kids in an ad like that

its a good ad up to the point they have the kids saying please vote green

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

I know the Green party are lookin pretty spineless at the moment but I think that they have done some good things in Government. Certainly their work in insulation and the new carbon taxes should be commended.

I know looking back, that video is a total lie and the use of children makes you cringe at it, however at the time of the election everyone was still under the spell of the Celtic tiger. Most of those election promises were reasonable if the greens were to assume continuing surpluses and the continuation of the property bubble. They were irresponsible not to look ahead financially however weren't we all under the tiger's spell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No "we" all weren't. Also I don't think the carbon tax is a particularly good system. So we're left with insulation-well done greens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Yeah fair play to Trevor Sargent for actually following through with his promise and not being leader when they went into coalition with the FF idiots.

I laughed so much when I watched this video! How many of those kids at this stage have been harmed by this nefarious Gov?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Farlane

I don't really want to vote for Labour based on what they did last time they were in power
    Free education? First current budget surplus in a generation? For shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Yeah fair play to Trevor Sargent for actually following through with his promise and not being leader when they went into coalition with the FF idiots.

I laughed so much when I watched this video! How many of those kids at this stage have been harmed by this nefarious Gov?!

Trevor Sargeant just played political semantics and deserves our ire along with the rest of the sell-outs. Sargent said he wouldnt lead the Greens into Government with Fianna Fail and did just that thing by being part of the negotiating team and accepting a Junior Ministry. Stepping down as leader was only paying lip service to the public. He and all the Greens digust me at this point and I have voted fro them for as long as I care to remember on the basis that they were the opposistion to this corrupt shower and that they had morals.

Turns out I was wrong on both counts and now I feel they are foerver going to be guilty by association with the crooks of FF. Bye bye Greens, the PD's will have your tea ready when you meet them in Political obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

I, too, voted Green. I was young enough to have ideals. I am young enough to forgive them and vote for them again on one condition. They grow a bl**dy spine.

How can they realistically support the party they are in power with when they are such odds?! Trying to get us out of our cars and into buses that are no longer going to be there. Trying to enforce planning laws with a party owned by developers.

I have no idea who I will be voting for come the next election. Not FF and not FG. If the Greens prove themselves, they will get my vote. I don't really want to vote for Labour based on what they did last time they were in power and the independents in my area aren't that wonderful.

No wonder people spoil their ballots.

This reflects the view of several other Green voters i've spoken to recently. They are unhappy with the status quo in government, but are still open to being convinced to vote for them again (Greens, not FF/Greens), if they prove themselves over their entire time in government.

Who knows how long more they will be in power though? As we know, there is a lot of discontent about the way some of the party's past stances seem to have evaporated since joining the coalition.

For example: i accept that in the current economic crisis a lot of tough decisions must be made and huge cuts are required (a thankless political job), but i do not accept the education cuts.

The party convention in March looks set to be very interesting anyway, with the vocal mass of the membership going head to head with the parliamentary leadership :)

Advertisement